Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Karan1best

Online course, good for me?

Hello everyone! My name is Karan and I am 17. I have been playing/learning Acoustic guitar from 2 years now. Everything I have learned now is all from Internet. I have not taken any proper class yet. So, I just know bits of everything from here and there. I can play all basic chords, barre chords etc. I can play solos of songs if I get the tabs. To get the idea what I can play I would tell you songs I can play:-

1. Metallica - Fade to Black Rhythm and intro solo
2. Metallica - One with intro solo
3. Nothing Else matters

And many other songs IF I know the tabs.

The thing is at this moment I don't know what to follow or what not. So I am going to start everything again from a beginner course from justinguitar.com.

So now, the question is, Should I follow jutinguitar.com's Beginner's course(and skip whatever I already know) and Intermediate Method OR I should take proper guitar lessons in real life?

I want to learn stuff step by step now. Till now I just learned whatever came up online. I also lack at music theory, would justinguitar.com be sufficient for me?

Tell me If you want to know more about my playing.

Thanks a lot!

ALSO! I am thinking of getting active on this forum as it seems like everyone is so helpful and I can learn a LOT from you guys. I have just been lurking the forums all this time :P

Last edited by Karan1best : 10-24-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Karan1best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
scotland87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan1best
Hello everyone! My name is Karan and I am 17. I have been playing/learning Acoustic guitar from 2 years now. Everything I have learned now is all from Internet. I have not taken any proper class yet. So, I just know bits of everything from here and there. I can play all basic chords, barre chords etc. I can play solos of songs if I get the tabs. To get the idea what I can play I would tell you songs I can play:-

1. Metallica - Fade to Black Rhythm and intro solo
2. Metallica - One with intro solo
3. Nothing Else matters

And many other songs IF I know the tabs.

The thing is at this moment I don't know what to follow or what not. So I am going to start everything again from a beginner course from justinguitar.com.

So now, the question is, Should I follow jutinguitar.com's Beginner's course(and skip whatever I already know) and Intermediate Method OR I should take proper guitar lessons in real life?

I want to learn stuff step by step now. Till now I just learned whatever came up online. I also lack at music theory, would justinguitar.com be sufficient for me?

Tell me If you want to know more about my playing.

Thanks a lot!

ALSO! I am thinking of getting active on this forum as it seems like everyone is so helpful and I can learn a LOT from you guys. I have just been lurking the forums all this time :P

Getting a good teacher is probably the best thing to do. If you know one, and can afford it then why not. It can only be a good thing for learning!
scotland87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:35 PM   #3
Karan1best

I forgot to add that I don't really get time to go to a place and learn from a teacher. If I think of learning from a guitar teacher in real life, it is only possible after April 2013.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

for half an hour, once a week?

justinguitar is a decent beginner course if you have the time, but the interaction you have with a teacher just won't be there and you'll have to have some serious self-discipline.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:59 PM   #5
Karan1best

I am self disciplined. The guitar school is far from my home, so it takes like an hour to reach there and 1 hour class and 1 hour to come back.

OR what I can do is make my beginner course strong and do intermediate from a professional teacher?
Old 10-26-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
AndyBar

Karan

You could save yourself a lot of time by focusing on what you really want really want to learn.
i.e Theory(chord scale relationships), Technique- transcribing your favourite players licks is the
most effective way as you not only improve your technique but you improve your ear as well.
Harmony/Composition- Ricky Rooksby's book 'how to write songs on guitar' is excellent.
AndyBar is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: