Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 AM   #1
Mlagz

Looking for a new guitar

I've been playing a Gibson SG for quite a while now. Although its a great guitar, I'm looking for something new. I'm interested in guitars that are not major brand guitars, like GIbson or Fender.

I think eccentric would be the right word to describe what I want. I definitely want something unordinary but not too ridiculous. Most of the unknown brand guitars that I've checked out either look like knock off strats or they look like parts of a car.

Anyway, I've had my eye on a Collings i35 for a while now. I like the big 335 sound but I still want the grittiness that I'm not sure the Collings can deliver.

I'm open to anything, really. Except if they look like robots or car engines.
Mlagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:01 AM   #2
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Hmmm...decent guitars that aren't cookie cutters of the big boys, but aren't ridONKulous.

1) Close cousins of the LP can be found in the Malden Karma and the a Fernandes Ravelle. Fernandes also has the Vertigo and Vulcan that are unusual.

2) Reverend does their own take on retro-styled guitars with fairly hot pickups. Really nice for ballsy rock & roll.

3) Steinberger is known for their headless guitars with the tiny, trapezoidal bodies. They have a couple of variations as well- all headless.

4) J. Backlund guitars takes a retro-futuristic approach, with guitars that look like they came from a 1950's surf Sci-Fi adventure.

5) Parker's entire line has its own vibe.

6) Licea guitars are a new tale on the guitar, using bamboo as their body material.

7) Myka guitars are very nice, and at the extreme end of the line, start looking like something Roger Dean might paint...

8) Crimson Guitars has gorgeous instruments.

9) Patrick Eggle makes very nice guitars. Only ever held one...should have bought it.

10) Brian May sells replicas of his own guitar.

11) Phantom Guitars makes improved replicas of old designs like the Vox Teardrop.

...that's off the top of my head, without getting into the out of production lines (like Timtone) or stratospherically expensive & nutty (like Teuffel).

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-15-2013 at 03:05 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:53 AM   #3
A Tout Le Monde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlagz
I've been playing a Gibson SG for quite a while now. Although its a great guitar, I'm looking for something new. I'm interested in guitars that are not major brand guitars, like GIbson or Fender.

I think eccentric would be the right word to describe what I want. I definitely want something unordinary but not too ridiculous. Most of the unknown brand guitars that I've checked out either look like knock off strats or they look like parts of a car.

Anyway, I've had my eye on a Collings i35 for a while now. I like the big 335 sound but I still want the grittiness that I'm not sure the Collings can deliver.

I'm open to anything, really. Except if they look like robots or car engines.

Maybe an Eastwood? They're kinda out there, but not to extremes. What's your current rig and what sort of sound are you looking for? Because "gritty" means different things to different people.
A Tout Le Monde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #4
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Of course, for the price of a Collins, you could go full custom, too.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #5
Hooker84

Look Knaggs Guitars Influence KENIA T2 or Knaggs Guitars Influence KEYA T2
These are great guitars!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 06:00 AM   #6
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Danny, this thread is perfectly crafted for you!

TS: this is Dannys area of expertise, he'll guide you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
ibrahimasood
Is cooler than you

have you heard of: Suhr, Tokai, Greco, Tom Anderson, Vigier, Valley Arts?
Old 01-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #8
festivalinhell

How much you trying to spend? Warrior Guitars have some beautiful guitars but they'll rack you anywhere from $7000-$30000 The few I have seen are hands down the most beautiful and finely crafted instruments I have ever seen. Beautiful beautiful guitars.
festivalinhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
SomeBlueKind
Banned

I think you should investigate Eastwood and Reverend guitars, as mentioned earlier. They could fit your description.
SomeBlueKind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:18 PM   #10
romeozdistress

def checkout www.rondomusic.com
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Danny, this thread is perfectly crafted for you!

It's kooky-spooky!

Old 01-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #12
Mlagz

These all look very interesting. I definitely wouldn't consider my music to be "Indie", but I am really fascinated by the types of guitars they play. My style would be more in the blues/jazz/pop and experimental realm...so I'm not sure these guitars would fit into the kind of music I play. I like how the eastwood guitars look, but they sound pretty twangy to me. I guess what I'm looking for is like an es 175 or 335 with a little more edge to it.

I'm playing out of a 60s silver face Princeton reverb, for those who want to know. "Gritty" is kind of vague, I know. Trying to describe that vintage rustic sound you get out of old vintage guitar, which obviously varies with each different guitar you play...but hopefully you get what I mean.

Are there any websites that sell obscure, vintage guitars? If there's a site like that I think I'd have more luck in finding what I'm looking for, but google has been of no help.
Mlagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #13
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Elderly Instruments and Charlie's Guitar Shop could be good places to look. I'd also check out a guitar show.

For blues/jazz/pop with grit, hmmm?

I think the Malden Karma and some of the Reverends are still in the running. Maybe some others like Parker & Myka.

You might also like what you get out of a more traditional bodied guitar made with non-traditional materials: Nicole makes guitars with corian. James Trussart and Normandy both use aluminum. Those materials might alter the tone just enough...

(Still need a budget: I can recommend axes from $500-20K+...)

Luthiers or bigger customizable guitar companies like Carvin or US Masters have enough options to fit your needs if you have the $$$ and they have an appealing body style. (US Masters would be a bit grittier than Carvin.)

Certain PRS models might sound appealing, but they may not be visually eccentric enough to satisfy.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-15-2013 at 05:59 PM.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

If you still have interest in Fenders or you don't mind choosing one, check out the Pawn Shop range. I couldn't recommend them more, I got the Mustang a month ago and it's a really sweet guitar. All of them have unique designs. The new Super Sonic they're bringing out might appeal to you, it's got a glitter finish and a reverse body and headstock.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #15
romeozdistress

agile?
Digitech Bad Monkey
Joyo Ultimate Octava
Snark SN1
romeozdistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:27 PM   #16
STIRMling

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoM50810
If you still have interest in Fenders or you don't mind choosing one, check out the Pawn Shop range. I couldn't recommend them more, I got the Mustang a month ago and it's a really sweet guitar. All of them have unique designs. The new Super Sonic they're bringing out might appeal to you, it's got a glitter finish and a reverse body and headstock.

DUDE!!! I just checked that thing out the Super Sonic online today. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Hiow do you like your mustang?
STIRMling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 AM   #17
DeanoM50810
Getting there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIRMling
DUDE!!! I just checked that thing out the Super Sonic online today. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!! Hiow do you like your mustang?

Its neck is amazing, the pickup splitting is pretty cool too, the guitar is definitely worth the money. The Candy Apple Red finish on it is neat
Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
Maximus_2005

Have a look at some teiscos or dannelectros.

Quote:
"tubetime86"
This wasnt even a cool story... Bro.
Maximus_2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:46 PM   #19
dannyalcatraz
Black Cherry Jello

Here's something "different":

http://visionaryinstruments.com/

Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 PM   #20
RedMist

G&L are a little off the beaten path. Might fit the bill for your type of music.
RedMist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: