User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM   #1
McTodd
This is a wug

Berfday!

Hello

Long story: my dad has severe guilt over buying my brother an expensive present for his last birthday, so wants to get me something expensive too to make it equal.

Short story: I have money to burn on recording equipment.

Band: acc. guitar, acc. bass, cajon, 2x vox. When we have recorded in the past we stuck it all in a mixer and played as if live. It's not really ideal, since you have to do the mixing live too.

Proposal: I think I need an 8-track recorder and a couple of high quality mics.

Question: Is that what I really need? What would you guys go for if you had money to burn?

Edit: what I'm looking at at the mo is a Zoom R16
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zoom-R16-Di...B/dp/B002GHOGEG
Waddya think?

Last edited by McTodd : 11-20-2012 at 07:53 AM.
McTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTodd
Proposal: I think I need an 8-track recorder and a couple of high quality mics.

Question: Is that what I really need? What would you guys go for if you had money to burn?

In short: If you have a typical level of computer literacy for someone these days, the answer is 'No'.

BUT

The R16 will act fine as an audio interface (we'll get to that, but read the sticky at the top of this forum for an in-depth guide), though the preamps on it aren't particularly inspiring.

Basically, the most popular way to record these days is digitally, via an audio interface and a computer running a program called a DAW (Reaper, Logic Pro, Cubase, Pro Tools etc.). This is how I would suggest anyone gets into audio engineering at any level these days as it is relatively inexpensive for the entry level stuff (compared to 10 years ago, for example) and is the easiest to expand, plus the most future-proof method.

As for mics, if you want to record a full drum kit on the cheap/budget, best bet is to buy a cheap set of drum mics and then focus on additional mics for the other stuff that will bolster this (i.e a decent large diaphragm condenser [Audio Technica AT-2020]; a good dynamic for guitars/snare [Shure SM57]) and then slowly build up your collection over time to expand and augment the stuff you already have.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

How much money are we talking here?

What is your goal for this equipment?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: