Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-04-2014, 01:07 PM   #1
Lazy Cake

strumming issues for a not so new player

Ok I am not very experienced or anything but I have been playing for about 20 months. The issue I am having is with strumming. When I first started playing I learned on a right handed guitar but due to some pain in my right arm I have switched to playing lefty(I have always had a very strong interest in lefty players anyway), while playing right handed I have no issue with strumming(I mean sound-wise, I get pain while playing) but since switching over to lefty I canīt seem to get faster strumming patterns down(think smells like teen spirit and maybe rape me). It just feels like my pick is getting stuck in the strings when I try to switch from a downstroke to an upstroke and vice versa. Thanks for any help and sorry that I may not have typed this out well-I am very tired and don't really have the energy.

P.S.
I am closer to being ambidextrous than I am to having a dominant hand if that affects anything.
Lazy Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #2
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

The fact is that you are not ambidextrous. One hand is dominant, regardless of how slightly. So, naturally, one hand is going to be more comfortable with strumming. With that said, it will take time to get used to playing lefty. I would say you should go back to playing right-handed and just refine your technique. If it hurts to play, there's a good chance you're doing something wrong. But it's up to you. If you choose to stay lefty, just practice and give it time.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 03:34 PM   #3
PSimonR
PSR

Don't expect to learn to strum fast quickly. It does take practice. Really after 20 months you have only just started.

http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/lgbt/
PSimonR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #4
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior#1
The fact is that you are not ambidextrous. One hand is dominant, regardless of how slightly. So, naturally, one hand is going to be more comfortable with strumming. With that said, it will take time to get used to playing lefty. I would say you should go back to playing right-handed and just refine your technique. If it hurts to play, there's a good chance you're doing something wrong. But it's up to you. If you choose to stay lefty, just practice and give it time.

he meant while one hand may be dominant, it's negligible as to which so therefore he is more ambidextrous than not.

also i'm not the best with a plec strumming, but i can do it perfectly well with my fingers. explanations, i have none, i guess my fingers just don't like plectrums. try using the back of your finger, you have more of a feel than you do with a plectrum.
Dempsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:49 PM   #5
Black_devils

By "Faster strumming patterns" do you mean 16th note strumming? If playing fast is really the issue here then it's something that takes time it just doesn't happen over night.. I certainly didn't learn funk guitar over night it took me a while with a whole lot of practice. Just worry about how clean your strumming is then you can build speed up there's a whole bunch of strumming exercises out there that will get your strumming speed up though just look it up.
Black_devils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Junior#1
Is SouTaicho Yamamoto-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey68
he meant while one hand may be dominant, it's negligible as to which so therefore he is more ambidextrous than not.

also i'm not the best with a plec strumming, but i can do it perfectly well with my fingers. explanations, i have none, i guess my fingers just don't like plectrums. try using the back of your finger, you have more of a feel than you do with a plectrum.

I know what he meant, and I know what I said. Being "close to being ambidextrous" is not the same as actually being ambidextrous. It's like comparing a valencia orange to a mandarin orange. They might be close to being the same, but they are not actually the same thing.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Junior#1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: