Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Epiphone Zenith?

I recently came across a demonstration video for the Epiphone Zenith (though not this one - I've been unable to re-find the original which sounded better) after clicking on a link on another forum. I like the sound and the general idea of it not having enough room for an upright bass, but I have been unable to find any in the UK to try out. It looks like I'd have to import if I were to buy one which I'd rather not do based just on a video. I've found a few reviews which look mostly positive but Epiphones don't seem to have the best reputation here and I haven't been able to find a Gibson version at all.

Has anyone tried one out before? Or heard one played live? Or are there maybe any other similar basses that I could attempt to locate to try out instead? I've never really looked at hollow bodied basses before so I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I've seen similar looking Warwicks online but I haven't ever seen anything like it in a physical store. The closest store to me doesn't even stock Fenders, in fact. A name or two would be helpful anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
GAPendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
CJ Noble
WAHAHA~!

I've wanted one for ages, I found one at a local shop probably around 2 years ago and tried it out. the only reason I don't own that thing today is that it was out of my budget.

If I could find one of the fretless ones today I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

No fiver version? Gutted, very much liking the specs on it. Looks good too.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:54 AM   #4
Alucard817

You have to understand Epiphone has many "levels" to their guitars and basses. I would probably put this in their upper range to be honest. Ed Friedland's videos are by far the best when it comes to basses.

It's going to be a pain in the ass to find one of these since they were discontinued.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliriumbassist
No fiver version? Gutted, very much liking the specs on it. Looks good too.

Yeah I couldn't find any five string versions either. They don't seem to have been made for very long so they don't seem to have been varied much, if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard817
You have to understand Epiphone has many "levels" to their guitars and basses. I would probably put this in their upper range to be honest. Ed Friedland's videos are by far the best when it comes to basses.

It's going to be a pain in the ass to find one of these since they were discontinued.

I wasn't sure what sort of range it would be in, honestly. The price probably puts it into lower or middle range for most companies, but then in the case of Epiphone, there's also Gibson to take into account.

They don't come up very often but there is one seller on eBay in the US somewhere that seems to get them occasionally. I sent him a message a while ago since his descriptions mention asking about hard cases. He said he didn't have any cases at the moment, but it should be fine without one. A hollow bodied instrument. Flying across most of the US and the Atlantic ocean. Without a case.

Quote:
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

I've been interested in these for a while. I seem to remember GAK and one other big chain stocking them.
Old 01-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I'd completely forgotten about GAK. I just had a look and they still have some.

Quote:
Old 01-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #8
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAPendragon
I'd completely forgotten about GAK. I just had a look and they still have some.

Well there you go. I think they have some stores across the country, not sure where they are though. I think there's a few down south. Depends where you are really, the stores around Leeds are pretty shit.

I think Thomann had some too (I remember because they had the nicer dark orange finish) but obviously you'd not be able to try-before-you-buy that way.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:23 PM   #9
GAPendragon
Fist Shaking Pony

I'm (just barely) in the outskirts of London. I can travel into the centre if I need to, but I try to avoid it whenever possible. The stores around here aren't much good either so I'll have to try some stores further in at some point anyway. GAK don't seem to have a store finder on their website but I'll dig around a bit and see what I can find. Thanks for the idea.

Quote:

Last edited by GAPendragon : 01-16-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #10
Deliriumbassist
UG's only DB

GAK is in Brighton only.

Deliriumbassist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #11
Spaz91
Turd polisher

Epiphone are criminally underrated, unfortunately the low end Thunderbird models drag their reputation wayyyyyyyy down.

I had a look at one in PMT in Bristol, they're a lot smaller than they seem online. Ed Friedland is not a big guy. I'd have liked a body closer to a jazz box.
Spaz91 is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: