Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-09-2012, 05:58 AM   #1
TTorque
Future Addict

9's on a 26.5" scale?

Hey there, I'm about to get my first seven string which has a 26.5" scale.
Is it ok if I put ernie ball 9-52 strings on it with the B-E-A-D-G-B-E tuning? Or is the tension to great for this scale and I should put 10's on it? Thanks
TTorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
Wesbanez
Registered Abuser

It'll be fine. You'll probably get a few people chipping in telling you to put thicker strings on and a much thicker string for the low B, but really, its all about personal preference.

I have a fanned fret 7, 25.5" - 27" scale length and only have a 58 on the low B. Feels and sounds fine to me.
Wesbanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:07 AM   #3
TTorque
Future Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesbanez
It'll be fine. You'll probably get a few people chipping in telling you to put thicker strings on and a much thicker string for the low B, but really, its all about personal preference.

I have a fanned fret 7, 25.5" - 27" scale length and only have a 58 on the low B. Feels and sounds fine to me.

I'm actually concerned about the high E. I'm affraid of it snapping cause of the extra tension. That's all
Old 12-09-2012, 06:20 AM   #4
Snake_42

Thicker strings means greater tension. So you're pretty much better off with the 9's man.
Snake_42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 06:29 AM   #5
Dayn

You'll be perfectly fine. I've had an .008 tuned up to G at 27". Not optimal, but really, unless you tune your .009 up to F#, or suddenly jump to a 32"~ scale, you'll be fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
thebestjoe

Meshuggah uses 9's on a 30 inch scale, you'll be fine.
Schecter Omen-7 with X2N and D-Thing
Douglas Scope 727
thebestjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
TTorque
Future Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestjoe
Meshuggah uses 9's on a 30 inch scale, you'll be fine.

Okay, but is it the EADGBE tuning?
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #8
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

A lighter gauge is less likely to break than a thicker one. Strings break when they get caught, worn down or tension is increased too much. The breaking point for a .08 string is more or less the same as a .012.

So long as the guitar is made decently and every part is set up properly, there's no reason to fear string breakages.

I would avoid thicker string gauges and use .009s at most simply because the tension, while not a problem for the strings, can be a problem for the neck itself, not to mention it'll be harder to bend strings accurately and control vibrato.

Use the string gauge that lets you play your best.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:12 PM   #9
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibble
A lighter gauge is less likely to break than a thicker one. Strings break when they get caught, worn down or tension is increased too much. The breaking point for a .08 string is more or less the same as a .012.

So are Ernie Balls just weak strings? Because I used EB 9s for many years before moving up to Rotosound 10s and then D'Addario 10s, and I swear that the EB 9 had a tendency to break, but I can't recall breaking a string since since I changed. I always thought it was the gauge change that made the difference, but I suppose it could be the brand.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Could be. Ernie Ball is an odd one for me to judge; I've never had a single one break, but loads of other people say they break all the time. It's quite possible they are made a little weaker than other brands, I just can't vouch for it myself. In my experience, it's been D'Addarios that have broken quickest

Rate This Thread: