Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
evening_crow
Live: from Japan!!!

My first pedalboard

So guys, after having my X3 Live for 4 years I decided to ditch the digital modelling stuff and went for the stompbox route. I went ahead and slowly built my new rig (I'm not in a band and won't be while stationed here in Japan so this amp works great for now) but having so many pedals is kind of a hassle. Yeah, I'm an effects junkie.

Anyway, this weekend I went ahead and built a pedalboard to keep all my stuff nice and tidy. I came up with this design by looking at the Pedaltrain boards and flatboards with raised platforms that a company named L.A. Sound Design does. I did the horizontal bars this way so that I can route most of the cables underneath to keep an uncluttered look. Originally I had though of just angling everything but figured that stepping on the pedals behind the wah/vol/whammy would be a bit tough so I went for the stair-like look. Also, this saves me a little bit of space when measured from front to back.

The pedals are held with velcro and the cables are CoreX2 DIY cable and Bullet sodderless angled connectors. The cable was leftover from a year ago and the Bullet connectors are slightly smaller than the CoreX2 ones, not to mention that they're also not in production any more and are more expensive despite being almost identical.

The chain goes like this:

Guitar >>> ISP Decimator G String >>> Digitech Whammy IV >>> Ernie Ball VP JR >>> Planet Waves Tru Strobe Tuner (from VP JR tuner out) >>> MXR CAE MC-404 Wah >>> Pigtronix Philosopher's Rock Compressor/Sustainer >>> Pigtronix Class A Boost >>> Black Arts Toneworks Pharaoh Fuzz >>> Lovepedal OD11 >>> Wampler Euphoria OD >>> Dr. Scientist The Elements Distortion >>> Decimator G String >>> Catalinbread Semaphore Tap Tremolo >>> Wampler Nirvana Chorus >>> Blackout Effectors Whetstone Phaser, Ibanez AF-2 Flanger >>> TC Electronic Flashback X4 Delay >>> Diamond Quantum Leap Delay >>> Hardwire Supernatural Verb >>> Amp

I'm not using the amp's effects loop because I think there's some grounding problem with my MXR CAE MC-403 Power Supply. I get a lot of noise if I use the effects loop and for some reason one of the power outputs shuts off when I plug into the amp (I already talked to tech support and I'll be sending it in sometime next week).

The empty spots on the board are for an Earthquaker Devices Crimson Drive that's on it's way here and hopefully an EQD Organizer and Strymon Timeline. Eventually once I've got those I'll get a One Source Crocodile Loop for all the pedals and an Iguana Loop for drive pedals so that I can control everything and minimize the signal's travel path through bypassed effects. I'll eventually power up everything else with a Voodoo Lab 4x4.

So... whatcha think? This was the first time I build something. I actually had to take a safety course before I could use the woodshop on base haha. The wood/course cost only $35 (3/4 basswood I believe? I can't remember) and maybe $20 in velcro here since I didn't feel like ordering online. Once I get the power supply back I'll probably mount it underneath so that it's not just hidden underneath the board.

(")_(")

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

Founder of the "I ♥ Fire" Club PM me to join.
Gen. Crow of the Pizza Bite Army
Me. Naked.

WARNING: I kill threads.
evening_crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #2
sizzlefizzle
eat taco bell fire sauce

Quote:

So... whatcha think? This was the first time I build something. I actually had to take a safety course before I could use the woodshop on base haha. The wood/course cost only $35 (3/4 basswood I believe? I can't remember) and maybe $20 in velcro here since I didn't feel like ordering online. Once I get the power supply back I'll probably mount it underneath so that it's not just hidden underneath the board.

stuff looks good man. if that is the first time you've built something then you have some natural talent for it. the wood you have there is oak. do you really use all of those pedals, or are some just dummies?

i tend to keep my stuff on the smaller side.
sizzlefizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #3
evening_crow

Thanks.

I tend to use all of them when I'm writing stuff. They help a lot when I get stuck somewhere... just give things a new vibe. The wah I don't use much but everyone needs a wah lol. Lately I've been using the OD11 to boost the cleans just enough to where there's slight breakup if I strum hard. It gives things some really nice dynamics. Then I'll add the Euphoria for a slight warm overdrive. That's been helping me a lot since I was used to just being either completely clean or full on distortion.

I really dig the semi circle design on your board. I used to arrange my old pedals like that. I noticed that's an old pic... still got the same setup?
(")_(")

Quote:

Me. Naked.

Last edited by evening_crow : 01-01-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
evening_crow

*bump*
(")_(")

Quote:

Me. Naked.

Rate This Thread: