Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-26-2013, 09:42 AM   #1
MattCox12345

How loud is this amp?

How loud is the Blackstar HT-50? I use a Fender Mustang I which is 20W and I play with the volume on about 4 or 5. The HT-50 has 2 ECC83 tubes and 2 EL34 tubes. I will probably play it through a 4x12, but if it's too loud I'll play through a 2x12. I will use it for home, jams, and gigs. I know it's loud enough for gigs and jamming but is it neighbour friendly? I don't want something too loud for bedroom volumes. How will the volume compare to my amp? Please don't just tell me to get a solid state amp because I'm also considering a few solid state heads but I like this one. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
dudebud
Kid A.Lo

Dude, you should check out one of the many mini amp heads companies are putting out these days. Marshall has a STELLAR 1 watt tube amp series to celebrate their 50th anniversary:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product...oductRangeId=33

Or you could opt for a Orange Tiny Terror...a fan fav. Low wattage heads are all the rage these days, you can find a mini rectifier, mini VOX and more...all tube.
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
dudebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
ProgFolk12

1) It can be as loud or quiet as you want it to be. It has a volume knob. How good it sounds at low volumes is a different question, but decent amps usually sound decent even at low volumes. It will be CAPABLE of getting much louder than a 20 watt mustang.

2) 412s and 212s will not make the kind of volume difference you're expecting. They have different tonal properties yes, but volume wise...you wont notice at all. Choose the cab you can afford/be arsed carrying/think sounds best.

3) The HT-50 may not be the best choice. I haven't played one for a while, I thought it was ok. Just ok though. Guys on here can help you, I mean if you preferred it to everything else you tried then more power to you. I bought a Laney over the HT series Blackstars and I don't regret it. Cheaper too.
ProgFolk12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #4
Silver77

it would be very loud, but it has a volume knob so bedroom level is possible, but the tone won't be there. You could try a thd hotplate, i have 16ohm one and it does pretty good and keeping the volume in check at home, then at gig and practice don't use it and get the full 50w blaring through your stack.
Silver77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #5
MattCox12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudebud
Dude, you should check out one of the many mini amp heads companies are putting out these days. Marshall has a STELLAR 1 watt tube amp series to celebrate their 50th anniversary:

http://www.marshallamps.com/product...oductRangeId=33

Or you could opt for a Orange Tiny Terror...a fan fav. Low wattage heads are all the rage these days, you can find a mini rectifier, mini VOX and more...all tube.

Thanks, but I'm not interested in small amps like that. Also, I don't really want to be on stage playing with an amp half of the size of my pedalboard
Old 03-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #6
AJScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCox12345
Thanks, but I'm not interested in small amps like that. Also, I don't really want to be on stage playing with an amp half of the size of my pedalboard

There's nothing wrong with small amps. Orange Tiny/Dark Terrors/Mesa Mini Rectifier/AMT Stonehead/I COULD GO ON

Are all badass amps and will provide you with volume!
AJScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #7
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Old 03-26-2013, 11:45 AM   #8
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFolk12
1) It can be as loud or quiet as you want it to be. It has a volume knob. How good it sounds at low volumes is a different question, but decent amps usually sound decent even at low volumes. It will be CAPABLE of getting much louder than a 20 watt mustang.

2) 412s and 212s will not make the kind of volume difference you're expecting. They have different tonal properties yes, but volume wise...you wont notice at all. Choose the cab you can afford/be arsed carrying/think sounds best.

3) The HT-50 may not be the best choice. I haven't played one for a while, I thought it was ok. Just ok though. Guys on here can help you, I mean if you preferred it to everything else you tried then more power to you. I bought a Laney over the HT series Blackstars and I don't regret it. Cheaper too.

412 v. 212 and 50w v 20w are nearly the same, as regards perceived volume...(3db v 4db)
Old 03-26-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Chance888
UG Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCox12345

LOL... Then go get you a big ole badass half-stack and rock out like the new Slash! haha... the size of the amp is irrelevant dude... its ALL about tone... TONE TONE TONE... IMO, Blackstar is overpriced. Get a nice Fender tube amp or a Vox
Chance888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
ProgFolk12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
412 v. 212 and 50w v 20w are nearly the same, as regards perceived volume...(3db v 4db)

When talking about perceived volume, there will be a big difference between a 20W SS amp and a 50W valve (poweramp at least). Then take into account the mustang's...110/112 speaker, which is quite likely lower in efficiency than those found in a decent 212 (say a V30) and all of a sudden yes, the BS will be MUCH louder flat out.

However, when comparing similar 212s and 412s to pair with said 50W head the difference will be small, yes.

EDIT: Also to the guys who keep telling TS to get a 1 watt amp...shut up, you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, if TS wants break up at gig volumes and doesn't mind the likelihood that a small amp will sound "smaller", yes, go recommend something small. But the idea that everyone should play a 1W head because you can use the PA system and turn them up more is absurd.

TS, do what 311 said.

Last edited by ProgFolk12 : 03-26-2013 at 12:50 PM.
ProgFolk12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
MattCox12345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance888
LOL... Then go get you a big ole badass half-stack and rock out like the new Slash! haha... the size of the amp is irrelevant dude... its ALL about tone... TONE TONE TONE... IMO, Blackstar is overpriced. Get a nice Fender tube amp or a Vox

I know that I was just making a joke. Also, when you look at those mini amps like the Blackstar HT-1, Vox Lil' Nightrain, Mesa Mini Rectifier, etc. they usually only have one channel and maybe if you're lucky it has a 3-band eq.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #12
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProgFolk12
When talking about perceived volume, there will be a big difference between a 20W SS amp and a 50W valve (poweramp at least). Then take into account the mustang's...110/112 speaker, which is quite likely lower in efficiency than those found in a decent 212 (say a V30) and all of a sudden yes, the BS will be MUCH louder flat out.

However, when comparing similar 212s and 412s to pair with said 50W head the difference will be small, yes.

EDIT: Also to the guys who keep telling TS to get a 1 watt amp...shut up, you have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, if TS wants break up at gig volumes and doesn't mind the likelihood that a small amp will sound "smaller", yes, go recommend something small. But the idea that everyone should play a 1W head because you can use the PA system and turn them up more is absurd.

TS, do what 311 said.

Also a 1 watt amp at bedroom levels might not sound any better than a 100 watt amp at bedroom levels. Even 1 watts will be loud to be cranked in bedroom (if you are playing alone). Not every amp sounds good at bedroom levels though (for example I tried a Vintage Modern head today and at bedroom levels it sounded very fizzy, but after turning it up a bit louder, so that it didn't hurt my ears but I'm sure my parents would bitch, there was no fizz any more). But it has very little to do with the wattage. And somebody's bedroom level might be way too loud for somebody else. My parents bitched when I had my Microcube and now they bitch even more about my Laney VC30. And I keep it at just above the level when it stops sounding fizzy. Tube amps can sound pretty fizzy at very low levels, you need to turn them up just a bit. Again, it has very little to do with the wattage.

TS, The thing is, you need to try the amp at low volumes. That's the only way to know if it sounds good or bad.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 03-26-2013 at 01:48 PM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: