Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #2601
Epiphone*Beast

Hey guys, so I am not really familiar with Doom Metal and gave the recommendation thread a peek and I have been checking out some of the suggested bands, but I am having a little trouble wrapping my head around why this deserves a distinct sub-genre. It seems to be taking many elements from heavy metal and adding a pinch of death metal and just slowing the tempo way down. If anything I would just call it really Really REALLY heavy metal.

Can someone add any insight into this? I like the sound but I am also a classification freak and love to understand the history and music behind all sorts of different genres.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #2602
BL1NDSIDE-J
Banned

I think it mostly was differentiated because of its dark lyrics and atmosphere. I'm no expert though so wtf do I know?
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #2603
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

^ damn, why is he banned? he seemed cool

doom metal clearly deserves its own subgenre, because it is distinctly different from other genres. not just that, but there were 70s bands who played doom metal, and it was distinctly different from the NWOBHM-type sound. so they can't really call it 'slowed down other metal' when those other forms of metal don't really exist yet. often it can be helpful to investigate the history of a genre, to understand its classification. your reasoning, of 'doom is just slowed down [slightly changed] x subgenre with a touch of x' can easily be applied to a lot of other genres, take some thrash albums from '85 they are just 'speed metal with a touch of hardcore' or late 80s death albums 'they are just thrash metal with a touch of grindcore'

i really don't see how this wouldn't deserve its own subgenre:

and that brings me to why i'm digging up this thread, because i've been blasting solstice and solitude aeturnus the last couple of days. awesome stuff

Last edited by MHDrunk : 03-14-2016 at 06:15 PM.
MHDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #2604
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Nah that's his old account. But Solstice is great. I've been listening to Candlemass and Reverend Bizarre lately.

PSN: esunax
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:39 AM   #2605
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Have you gotten around to the more recent Solstice stuff, MHDrunk? It's quality material too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytokinesis
I've been listening to Candlemass

Epicus is incredible, the stuff with Messiah is incredible. Early Candlemass cannot go wrong. Later stuff isn't bad, but I felt it didn't have the magic without the early vocalists, still pretty good though.
Old 03-15-2016, 05:52 PM   #2606
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

i've only listened to lamentations and new dark age, definitely prefer the former but ill look to get my hands on some of their newer stuff today
Old 03-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #2607
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Revisited Watching From A Distance tonight. It just doesn't get old, nor loose it's impact.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:46 PM   #2608
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

I love that album and only put it on when I can afford to do nothing, otherwise it puts me into a trance. It's honest and melancholic. Not only do Patrick's vocals become the embodiment of sorrow, but the constant wall of heavy riff pummels the listener into submission. I can't pick a favourite song. Pick any synonym of depression and you'll nail this album. It's slightly uplifting because of how genuine Patrick comes off as, but mostly soul crushing.

Incredible album.
Old 03-17-2016, 06:11 PM   #2609
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

Ah, another band I need to revisit. I remember listening to them a few times but never giving it quite enough attention. Been listening to Scald, even showed my trance-only listening friend Night Sky and even he thought it was good. judging by this: http://www.pariahchild.co.uk/scald/ im pretty certain it was suicide

Last edited by MHDrunk : 03-17-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #2610
severed-metal
Kvlt of Fvkk

Metalian (or Wroth Emitter) guy said this in the Scald thread about Agyl's death:

Quote:
As for reasons of Agyl's death, there are still more questions than answers.

Was it suicide? Yes it could be so.
Could it be a murder? There are no reasons to deny this possibility.
Could it be just an accident (as Agyl was drunken that morning and probably listened his cassette player at maximum volume)? Possibly.
But if a train knocks somebody, it has to stop, call the ambulance (via train radio) and wait for them. Agyl was just found near the rail track with broken head about an hour after accident. So train driver couldn't see him. Thus we can conclude that he was stricken not by locomotive, but by a carriage. So either it was suicide or somebody threw him against the passing train (taking Agyl's nature into account, this could easily happen). Harald also remembers that in that place there is a spontaneous pedestrian path really close to the track, the railway has a curve there, visibility was poor due to numerous bushes near the track, and the trains pass that place at high velocities, so if Agyl was really near the train's dimension, he could easily be dropped by air stream from the train. Unfortunately there was big metal box (used for signalling communications) near the track and Agyl's head contacted that box...

I'm afraid we'll hardly know the truth... So let's not discuss this anymore.

Will always remain a mystery I suppose so it's best left to imagination.

Thanks to VampireGoldfish, I think Scald get their fair due around here haha. Agyl was the most powerful vocalist in metal. Agyl made Scald feel like they recorded WOTGIGP on top of a mountain.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:05 PM   #2611
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

A great deal of folks use 'Ancient' as a way to describe so many different Metal acts. Scald truly feels Ancient in it's sound and atmosphere through and through. The production is a perfect example of why the homogenization of the recording process has severely impacted Metal's diversity and quality. Morrisound studios being a great example back in the early 90's when everyone wanted to sound like the new Entombed that had just dropped. Fuck that in-house studio kick pedal and that constantly loud EQ'd to shit sound.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:26 PM   #2612
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

oh yeah. i know i've ranted on here before about how little i like early 90s swedish death metal in general, and a big part of that is the phat production that suits some (not all) crust bands but definitely not anything like death metal
Old 03-17-2016, 07:34 PM   #2613
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

A whole ton of derivative stuff came out from post-Entombed Sweden, but I still got suckered into some of it haha. Across the Horizon and Like An Ever Flowing Stream of course and numerous others, hell I still to this day really like Once Sent From A Golden Hall and nothing else by the AA guys! But most of it was derivative to a fault of being pointless and it still continues to this day in various forms.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 01:11 PM   #2614
Epiphone*Beast

Took a year but I got a good answer and a new band! Yay!

Rate This Thread: