User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #21
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziphoblat
The same can be said for a most electric instruments (guitar included). It's only acoustic instruments like drums where you're going to notice a difference in sound quality in the final mix. But you don't just pay for the sound; it's the whole aesthetic; the way it feels, how effortlessly it plays, etc etc. I might not get a vastly better sound in the mix out of a well made instrument versus a poorly made one, but I'll damn well give a better performance.

EDIT: And I'm talking purely about different takes on the same design (Squier Jazz versus Fender Jazz etc) here. There's a definite noticeable difference in sound between different types of design, even in the context of a mix, and if you can't hear that then it's your ears unfortunately.

True. It's not about how it sounds like on the record (because everything can be made sound good with enough processing). It is how it sounds to you when you play it. And there's a noticeable difference between different instruments when you play them. Recorded sounds don't tell everything. Recorded sound is not the same as if you play the instrument by yourself.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 08:26 AM   #22
stuntman133
terrible musician

Wow, thank you all for the replies! I'll give 'em a good read when I have the time.
And God dammit, if my internet fails again, I'll perform a German Suplex on a kitten.
stuntman133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #23
realsmoky

If you can sell it back for money, than it's worth the money. Obviously.

In terms of tradeability the best basses are Fender and Squier ones because they can come and go really fast.

It's a different thing if you want a good bass for the sake of keeping and playing it. Then don't buy fender or squier. Buy Ibanez, Musicman or Aria.
realsmoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #24
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by realsmoky
It's a different thing if you want a good bass for the sake of keeping and playing it. Then don't buy fender or squier. Buy Ibanez, Musicman or Aria.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:57 AM   #25
realsmoky

Quote:

Sadly, I am not a Fender fanboy and I don't think that they are 'the tight shit' like most people do. Maybe they were 20 years ago or so...
realsmoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Sadly, I am not a Fender fanboy and I don't think that they are 'the tight shit' like most people do. Maybe they were 20 years ago or so...

That's perfectly fine, and you're entitled to your opinion. Don't, however, impose it upon others. "I personally prefer the sound/feel of bass X to bass Y" is stellar, however stating as if it were fact "bass X is better than bass Y" when it is based entirely upon subjectivity serves to do little but spread misinformation.
Old 10-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #27
anarkee
oh the horror!

Quote:
That's perfectly fine, and you're entitled to your opinion. Don't, however, impose it upon others. "I personally prefer the sound/feel of bass X to bass Y" is stellar, however stating as if it were fact "bass X is better than bass Y" when it is based entirely upon subjectivity serves to do little but spread misinformation.

This. The only reason I will steer people away from a bass is due to bad builds or shoddy electronics reputation. I'm not a warwick fangirl, but there are tonnes of people on this forum who love them Different basses for different players. Which is why I always tell people to set a budget for an instrument and then try everything they can in that price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
Spanner93
Comrade Spanner

Quote:

Agreed, IMO Fender haven't made a decent product in the last 15 years and anything with a squier logo is piss poor. That said it is just personal preference and is subjective at best. There are plenty of people on any forum that hate/love any particular brand, for example: The most hated bass brand on this forum is Rickenbacker, wheras I personally love the 4001.

As was previously said, the best bass is the one that you're comfortable with. And the best amp is the one that'll drown the drummer out and give you the tone you want. At best any advice on this forum is exactly that, advice. The level of bias will vary, but ultimately buying gear and understanding the bass is all about experience and playing as much gear as possible.
Spanner93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: