Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-19-2014, 10:04 AM   #1301
BelowTheSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jyrgen
Anything by Dan Slott is great. Superior Spidey is very exciting, each issue just brings the stakes up. As with Slott's other work, there's no decompression: stuff keeps happening at a rapid pace. I love also the fact that Slott seeds his plot points even 100 issues before they happen... just start from ASM #600 to see what I mean.

I'm so sick of Slott. He had a good run, but now everything is so samey and a little boring and I don't really look forward to reading Spider-Man any more, which is a horrible feeling. He should have dropped out after Superior and left that as his legacy. Let someone else take over.
Old 08-19-2014, 02:20 PM   #1302
Jyrgen
Used Register

It's true that he has been on the book for a very long time. And I haven't read the final arc of SSM yet, but people do say that it declines in quality there. So yeah I would be ok with a new writer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua Garcia
Spoilt little dicks like you don't deserve gifts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Vote for Jyrgles, no more babies!
Jyrgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:00 PM   #1303
Thewheelman1001
Robot in Disguise

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless-john
Anything specific you're looking for?

I guess I'll just recommend some of my favourite series. Bone is really, really great. It's this huge fantasy epic with some great writing and character design. Very charming. You can get the whole thing in one giant collection but it's black and white (cost me about £15) or you can get it in single volumes with colour. I'm actually considering getting the coloured editions now though because it's that lovely.

I'm quite into The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. It's Alan Moore just being Alan Moore really. I'm currently reading through Preacher as the new editions come out and that's a really fun series. Also, working on the Fables series and I love what I've read of that so far (also the hardback editions have really beautiful cover art). Invincible is great too but I really need to continue reading it. Only read the first hardback as of yet.

Does anybody have any thoughts on Y: The Last Man or Saga?

I'll have to check those out. I've seen a lot of people on here talk about saga and Y, so I assumed they're good. I really like the new 52 detective comics.

Let the wind carry you home, Blackbird fly away, May you never be broken again

NOW YOUR NIGHTMARE COMES TO LIFE
Thewheelman1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:31 PM   #1304
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless-john
Claremont is a bit hit and miss for me to be honest. When he's good he's really good but otherwise I'm not amazed by a lot of his stuff. That's kind of the case for Marvel and DC in general though.

I will still check out Whedon's run when I get the chance mind.

80s Claremont feels pretty close to unmissable on X-Men. My next big project is to read his New Mutants stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
Got Lazarus Vol 2 (Lift) in the mail last week. Okay continuation of the story but going into the inequality of this future world felt a bit unnecessary and was done with a half-hearted melodrama slant, though it had it's use in building the story and main character a bit. Hope the next story goes back to the political stuff.

A lot of the more explicitly political threads were shifted into the extras in the margins of the letters section in this last arc as something to deepen the world. Shame that it isn't part of the collected edition. Agreed on that being a big draw initially and feeling like the story suffered for it falling to the background. It seems with the latest issue, which may not be in the new trade, that we'll be returning to the inter-family politics.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguitarist
I was looking at getting Sex Criminals but I'm not feeling the art style at all.

On the one hand, I'm a little surprised by that, but that is probably just because I like it. I can understand though because it walks that fine line between realistic and cartoony and sometimes falls almost in the uncanny valley occasionally making it an odd read. Still, I dig the book a whole lot and am consistently excited to pick each new issue up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelowTheSun
I'm so sick of Slott. He had a good run, but now everything is so samey and a little boring and I don't really look forward to reading Spider-Man any more, which is a horrible feeling. He should have dropped out after Superior and left that as his legacy. Let someone else take over.

The only Slott run that I've read was She-Hulk. There were some pretty good moments and plotlines, but the pacing felt very strange. Rather than end on a cliffhanger, it felt like he'd either go one beat too many or one beat too few. Plus,every use of "Omigosh" made me want to throw myself from a bridge.

I'll possibly look into his Spider-Man run, but I want to revisit a bunch of the earliest years, at least through Romita.

My recent reads:
-Supreme Blue Rose is gorgeous and has really grabbed me despite my lack of knowledge of the character and earlier work in the series. All I was really aware of going in is that Supreme was a Superman analog, but that didn't matter and honestly just made the first issue feel even more dreamlike. Things half-remembered and barely understood. Eager to see where this goes moving forward. Anticipating reading the Alan Moore work, but will likely hold off until this finishes up. Shouldn't be too long since Ellis seems like he's only doing 6-8 issue series at the moment.

-Little Nemo Return to Slumberland was a delight. I was a little reluctant going in because I love Windsor McKay's original strip and hold it in such high esteem, but this felt less like a hollow homage and more like a loving reimagining with a present day Nemo. While the art only had a few opportunities to really hit McKay levels of inventive layout and panel design, those few moments really shined. If anything, where the issue suffered was because of comic size requirements. McKay had full newspaper pages to work with and these smaller format held back the chances for Slumberland to really come fully into view. For people unfamiliar with the original, this probably won't do a whole lot, but I'd love to be proven wrong. For those who are, I think you'll walk away more than satisfied. Even the guy behind the counter was impressed.

Possible spoiler - Reading some reviews to Little Nemo right now, and I'm shocked that people are bothered by it taking the entire issue to get close to Slumberland. Did y'all not realize that it took almost seven months - about 30 weeks - in the original. Yeesh.
uhh_me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:59 AM   #1305
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

I have this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Little-Nemo...y-/220822199358

(Can't find any better description of it lol)

1974 edition in hardcover that goes from 1905-1910 and is like A3 size. The covers on mine are falling apart due to age though. was a good read and does take it's time with the story, which is understandable from a newspaper series. I haven't read the new ones but I would be annoyed if they rushed it.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #1306
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

I love the cover on that. Really great. Bummer that yours is falling apart.

There is a new complete edition coming out later this year that includes the 1924-1926 strips which, as far as I can tell, haven't readily been available in the past. It looks as good, if not better, than the other collected editions that I've seen. I am partial to those So Many Splendid Sundays versions that came out a few years ago because I felt so proud and so silly checking out this giant book from the library.

http://www.taschen.com/pages/en/cat...little_nemo.htm
Old 08-23-2014, 12:22 PM   #1307
steve_muse
Never had this before

Yo I'm a noob to this medium and would appreciate any recs. the only thing I've read is China Mieville's dial h for hero DC reboot which was really fun and weird 'cos it took the piss out of superheroes while thoughtfully considering the nature of superheroes and stuff.

I don't want anything from marvel/DC* tho, not cause I dislike superheroes, I'd just like to see what other cool things exist in comic land. Any genre, whatever y'all consider great art, something preferably strange or at least not straightforward.

*they're not limited to superheroes tho, right? see I don't know anything.
steve_muse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #1308
BelowTheSun

Saga, Y: The Last Man, and Gaiman's Sandman are all pretty good indications of what the medium can do, and they're not too obscure or hard to find.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:56 PM   #1309
steve_muse
Never had this before

Shit yeah forgot all about The Sandman. Will check the other out too, cheers

Edit: looked up the Saga, Last man thing and it looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Editedit: what are the best ways to go about getting this stuff? Like the big collections instead of the individual ones?

Last edited by steve_muse : 08-23-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 PM   #1310
BelowTheSun

Well, Saga is still ongoing, so if you felt so inclined you could start going out and picking up the new issue every month. There are three collections so far, and Image do them reasonably cheap, so get those and then either go for the single issues as they come out, or do what I do and wait for the next collection.

Y: The Last Man is finished, so you can just get all of those in collections. Or yknow, 'acquire' them all via the internet, but I definitely don't condone that sort of activity. Not at all.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:43 PM   #1311
steve_muse
Never had this before

^right cool, I'll give the first collection a try then and go from there.

If by that you mean reading them on a screen then I can reassure you my physical > digital bias applies to this too
Old 08-24-2014, 11:57 AM   #1312
uhh_me?
schmendrick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse
Yo I'm a noob to this medium and would appreciate any recs. the only thing I've read is China Mieville's dial h for hero DC reboot which was really fun and weird 'cos it took the piss out of superheroes while thoughtfully considering the nature of superheroes and stuff.

I don't want anything from marvel/DC* tho, not cause I dislike superheroes, I'd just like to see what other cool things exist in comic land. Any genre, whatever y'all consider great art, something preferably strange or at least not straightforward.

Try Black Hole by Charles Burns and Epileptic by David B. Two of the first things that I picked up because, like you, I wasn't much interested in capes. Both blend the real with the unreal and should be readily available in nice collected editions.

Mieville on Dial H was great. Kills me that it couldn't find enough of an audience to stretch the last 3 or 4 issues out a few more months. Everything there was so compressed.
Old 08-24-2014, 12:33 PM   #1313
Jack Off Jill
Is Voting MakinLattes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_muse

If you want something strange and not straight forward, I can't recommend Fear Agent enough. It has a lot of time travel stuff in it, and Tony Moore is probably one of the best artists in the business. The whole thing seems really nuts until you get to the end and see how everything ties together. It's definitely one of the most underrated books I've seen. This is my favorite science fiction comic book of all time.

I'll also suggest Sleeper, which is about people who have super powers, but it's about a secret agent infiltrating a Super villain organization and is really more of a crime book. But the main character blurs the line between hero and villain frequently.

100 Bullets because to me it's the greatest crime saga ever written. I think it outdoes Sin City and Criminal by a long shot. It's another one that's not straight forward as you won't understand the motive of the characters until close to the end, and most of them don't even meet each other til the middle.

Ben Edlund's The Tick because it's hilarious.

And Hellboy because I love him and his stories are influenced by all the Weird Tales from the pulp days. The artwork is neat and you get lots of cool twists on folk lore and paranormal stuff. It's meant to be real HP Lovecraftesque if you're into that. Spooky castles, huge monsters, vampires.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.

Last edited by Jack Off Jill : 08-24-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Jack Off Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 01:35 PM   #1314
steve_muse
Never had this before

Thanks guys, that's plenty to go with

Rate This Thread: