Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > 80s Rock, Shred & Progressive
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-30-2014, 03:37 AM   #41
the glue man
beep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead_Guitar89
Malmsteen is a Guitar God!!! Face it guys! The people who dislike him as a guitarist are worthless and weak possers!!!!

This guy

RECAÍDA

TUMBLR
the glue man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:22 AM   #42
Akkeli

Yngwie Malmsteen's playing does absolutely nothing to me emotionally.
Akkeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #43
bptrav

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUltimateSin
And when it really comes down to it, is "shredding" not a modern-day version of what these classical composers would have been doing?

Depends on the "shredder" and which classical music you are talking about. Beethoven has sooooo much more feeling in his music than any "shredder" I've ever heard, because he understood there is a lot more to music than just cramming in as many notes as possible.

On the other hand you could compare a lot of Baroque era composers to modern "shredders". Chopin, Scarlatti, etc

The funny thing is there are moments in some Malmsteen songs with slower playing (like the intro to Black Star), and those parts of his songs are usually the best parts. Once he goes full on wankery it gets really boring.

I don't think any reasonably person would argue Malmsteen isn't amazingly talented technically, but there is so much more to music than that. I'd much rather listen to some less technically proficient players who can actually write music. The Beatles probably had farts more musical than anything Malmsteen has done.
bptrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:41 AM   #44
MapOfYourHead
Often sarcastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bptrav
I don't think any reasonably person would argue Malmsteen isn't amazingly talented technically, but there is so much more to music than that. I'd much rather listen to some less technically proficient players who can actually write music. The Beatles probably had farts more musical than anything Malmsteen has done.

Beatles fanboy. Nuff sed
MapOfYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:21 PM   #45
farcry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bptrav

I would argue that he is very average technically. He misses a lot of notes, way too many, has awful tone and little to no modulation. People say he plays unemotionally but I disagree, he lacks technical prowess, I can play more technically than he can and I have a full time job and only play half an hour everyday. Most people could play better than him with half an hour of practice every day.

Last edited by farcry : 09-17-2014 at 03:22 PM.
farcry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #46
wil
..but Teles are better

^^^^ Of course you can play 'better' than him.
Old Yesterday, 03:10 AM   #47
farcry

I can, many people can. He is not that good, practice more and develop your ear better. The amount of dead notes he hits is astounding. Some performances he hits only 60% of the notes properly. I have never seen a so called virtuoso that is so sloppy because it's unlikely there is one.
Old Yesterday, 01:28 PM   #48
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Malmsteen is the only guitar "virtuoso" who plays 20times more notes than is ever needed. I've heard him playing with orchestras before, and it's just painful. It's like the orchestra is doing its thing, and that sounds fine. Then, in come Ywngie with 50 notes in the space of 2 seconds, and only half the notes actually fit. God forbid the guy learned how to create basic melodies that would compliment people other than himself and very basic basslines that accompany him.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:48 PM   #49
farcry

Having a lot of notes doesn't make it bad, having bad phrasing and missing a lot of those notes makes it bad. Buckethead can play at lightspeed but manages to keep his phrases with the rhythm and doesn't miss notes. I say it's not that he's boring, it's that he's actually bad at playing guitar. The mechanics of his finger motions lack proper economical movement makes him bad, he's fast so people confuse it with lack of emotion.

Case in point, take away the distortion and you can hear how many notes he misses, in the first 15 seconds he misses 4 or 5 notes (some guitarists don't make that many mistakes in an entire performance), I listen to 32 seconds in and it's just mistake after mistake:

Last edited by farcry : Yesterday at 01:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #50
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by farcry
Having a lot of notes doesn't make it bad, having bad phrasing and missing a lot of those notes makes it bad.

If you're clashing against the orchestra, because half your notes are not in key...it's fucking bad. The guy has very little sense of "play what's needed". It's fine to play lightning fast in certain situations, but not when it's a situation with an orchestra playing at mid-pace. Ywngie wouldn't know restraint if it hit him in the face, knocked him down, and insulted his momma.

Edit:
Of course, I'm not disagreeing with what you've said in regards to missed notes. I'm just saying, this is another issue, imho.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : Yesterday at 01:54 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:55 PM   #51
farcry

You can have notes not in key and sound great. Megadeth does it all the time, notes from out of nowhere and it doesn't even seem like they are in a key sometimes but the phrasing makes it sound good. Listen to Holy Wars, the acoustic riff is just all over the place (and so is most of the song) only resembling Eminor some of the time and it's those notes out of key that make the song unique.
Old Yesterday, 02:07 PM   #52
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
You can have notes not in key and sound great. Megadeth does it all the time, notes from out of nowhere and it doesn't even seem like they are in a key sometimes but the phrasing makes it sound good. Listen to Holy Wars, the acoustic riff is just all over the place (and so is most of the song) only resembling Eminor some of the time and it's those notes out of key that make the song unique.

There's no orchestra in the background during that part of the Megadeth song. That's the difference. (Sidenote: That's literally one of my favorite songs, and that lick is fantastic.)

And "out of key" doesn't mean, in this case, that you're playing notes outside the key signature. It means you're literally clashing against the rest of the musical theme.

Bandcamp

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : Yesterday at 02:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #53
farcry

It's his mindset, he doesn't really follow the backing chord structure of the rest of the band he plays with a lot of the time and that's probably the number 2 skill that exists asides from hitting all the notes correctly. What you are hearing isn't specifically key issues (but yes he does clash with the backing band sometimes), it's chord structure, song structure and bad phrasing.

To all those that are thinking oh we are just being too hard on him I assure you we are not. If you are an aspiring guitarist don't aspire to be like Malmsteen, he is a sloppy guitarist and doesn't approach the craft from a professional perspective. People like Buckethead and Marty Friedman play dynamically with good tonality and they write good songs with melodies that follow the chord structure of the backing band, Malmsteen does not.

Last edited by farcry : Yesterday at 02:13 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:25 PM   #54
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
It's his mindset, he doesn't really follow the backing chord structure of the rest of the band he plays with a lot of the time and that's probably the number 2 skill that exists asides from hitting all the notes correctly. What you are hearing isn't specifically key issues (but yes he does clash with the backing band sometimes), it's chord structure, song structure and bad phrasing.

That's the problem.

Bandcamp

Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM   #55
DaFjory
In Lane we trust

I was about to come on here and say "Jeez, this subforum has really gone to hell if all we're discussing is whether Yngwie Malmsteen is boring or not"... but then I started reading this more recent discussion about his sloppiness and disregard for clean playing. Now we're getting somewhere! I'm finding it much more interesting to read all this analysis on his technique, rather than "He plays too fast, so he's unemotional" or "His albums all sound the same and he's never changed his style".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicer666
he sucks on the remnants of Lane's testicles

Let some LIGHTS into your life!

Now read about her!
DaFjory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:54 PM   #56
farcry

Yeah I agree. To me hearing emotion comes from witnessing the passion someone puts into the craft of musicianship. Each note being part of the overall phrase is important, you hear passion and emotion when you hear the time and care the artist put into practicing getting the perfect sound by practicing the same thing with diligent care.

The lack of emotion people perceive is the lack of attention the guy puts into his songwriting, he puts all the time into the cheap frills and doesn't make sure that he's treating the guitar as an instrument that sings and resonates in contrast with the other instruments he's supposed to be playing along with. Getting that perfect tone and harmony with the other instruments is where the emotion comes into play because you get to witness the end result of tireless practice and discipline. It's why a cover of Little Wing by Malmsteen sounds so shallow, there's no modulation, no attention to the finer details of his tonality it's just straight up shredding with no adherence to how the audience perceives the sounds he's creating. To paraphrase David Gilmour; when you achieve perfect tonality you can sense the audience is feeling the song along with you and everyone is experiencing the same resonant quality inside themselves. Malmsteen never achieves that.

Last edited by farcry : Yesterday at 06:56 PM.

Rate This Thread: