Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Rock & Indie
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #17581
CherokeShredder
Banned

Now if only we could have a rehash of Iced Earth's Dystopia, that might be awesome
CherokeShredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:53 AM   #17582
Blayney
est'd 1989

DaFjory - I wholeheartedly recommend finding 2 hours at some point to sit down with this album. You don't need the lyrics sheet, just the song descriptions from the website.

http://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishingtracks

They have a track by track description of what's going on.

I had been struggling with this album, and Dream Theater ever since BC&SL.

This new one is a masterpiece though. LaBrie nailed Nafaryus, the story has more going on than I first realised. Seriously whenever Nafaryus turns up it's awesome. Lot's of little inter-relationships aside from the main Good vs Evil story.

Musically it's challenging I think because you can't treat it at all like an album with songs, it really is a rock opera, there ARE themes/atmospheres for each character/place that really change the tone. Good example is the Empire turning up in Ravenskill during "The Saviour in the Square". Awesome.

Daryus is a little shit - see the end of "A Life Left Behind" and when he is eavesdropping in "Ravenskill" and what he does in "A Tempting Offer". The conversation between Arhys and Faythe is great in "Ravenskill".

A New Beginning has a big reveal for the story that changes the way you look at some of the characters. Also happens to have pretty great guitar/keyboard solos in it and a funky bassline towards the end.

edit - and this is just Act I

edit -

Act II kicks off really in Moment of Betrayal which stands up quite well on it's own tbh.

The Path That Divides is quite an important moment in the story, some nice riffs in it too. Proper fight scene.

The Walking Shadow provides another twist and a big sort of breakdown moment.

It all gets a bit happy from there tbh. Our New World has got a nice riff to open it up.

Overall good album. I think it would get somewhere close to the top 5 DT releases, but unfortunately you kinda have to listen to it as a whole and it is simply too long to invest that much time into regularly.

Don't let your boat be empty, don't be a sunken dream
Don't let the boat regret thee, for what you could have seen

Last edited by Blayney : 02-07-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Blayney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #17583
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

"rock opera" caught my interest, but if they were serious about it being a full-blown rock opera they should have invited other vocalists to play the other characters the way Avantasia and Ayreon does. Trying to believe LaBrie as all the different characters just doesn't work for me. I found it weird in Scenes from A Memory too.

PSN: esunax
Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: