Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
SimonGrounsell

Beginner gigging questions

Hi all,

I most likely wont be gigging for a loooong time but as a performer already ( I perform as a magician and Mindreader occasionally ) but I would like to at some point. I'd imagine it would just be me gigging when I do, maybe a drummer or a bassist or singer whatever if im lucky but for various reasons and my age I don't know if I want to be attached to a band just yet and I quite like the idea of just me and my Guitar doing the talking as it were.

I play a lot of blues and enjoy learning blues licks and rhythms but I also like playing Eric Claptony/Blues on my acoustic guitar ( even though I'm a long way off playing it well ) I also like playing classical pieces, and some rock pop/punk pieces aswell. So quite a mixed bag but I feel a tendancy to the blues on my les Paul and maybe some pieces on my acoustic. So, my question is If I were to play just a local pretty small pub gig and I played a load of blues maybe some Jimi in there aswell and maybe some acoustic to change things up, would I be okay to do it all through my 35w amp? I most likely wouldn't song and the blues would give off a kind of chilled vibe anyway as opposed to screaming teenagers at a metal gig where I'd imagine a cabinet and amp head whatever would be needed.

I know I'm making all this quite wordy, so my second question is am I applying to much thought to this all and should I just pack my Paul, pedals and amp and get out there and figure it out for myself like I did when I began performing magic on stage?

Thank you in advance , Simon.

Ps Sorry if this is in the wrong part of the forum, wasnt sure where to put it.
SimonGrounsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #2
Artemis Entreri
Panned

The real issue would be getting a gig noodling over blues progressions...

For constructive advice, it would probably be loud enough (what kind of amp? That could make a world of difference) but most decent places have at least a cheap PA which would amplify you.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Artemis Entreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
SimonGrounsell

My amps the Belcat V35rg 35w vintage amp with reverb, it's doesn't say it's a tube or valve amp but then again I don't really know much about amps, I can get a decent variety of tones out of and the it's good on a more bluesy setting ( at least to me anyway ) I have had more knowledgeable guitarists than me say its a good amp.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #4
Hail
kill both bass players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri

Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #5
cdgraves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Entreri

Depending where you live it may be the easiest gig to get! Blues is the Easy Listening of bar music; people will tolerate it just about anywhere.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:36 AM   #6
Hail
kill both bass players

also this is obligatory

Hail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:54 AM   #7
ouchies
UG's OG

If youre decent getting blues gigs is really easy!

I use a 20w Egntater Rebel for most gigs, so if your amp is 35w tube it should be plenty. I usually set my master to about 1/4 to 1/2 for most gigs.

https://soundcloud.com/redoaklane/h...official-single
ouchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
SimonGrounsell

Okay thanks everyone I agree blues is the quite commonly played in bars where I am. It might not pull in loads of screaming teenagers but for gentle easy adult listening blues is great. Thanks again!

Rate This Thread: