Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Bandleading
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Vendetta V
The Creep

Cool Your concerts and free stuff

Everybody loves free stuff. Free stuff at concerts are awesome too. The question here is, how to use this as a nice marketing tactic.

the thing is that while a lot of people love free stuff they don't always become a fan/follower so sometimes free stuff is just not paying you back.

Do you guys have any ideas on what to give out for free and how to make people get back to you on the internet or something.

I'm now only thinking of QR codes with some free downloads and info on what songs have been performed, where to get those etc etc.

So a sticker and a flyer with a QR code, could be somewhat nice and cheap to give out to people at the gig.

Discuss

Vendetta V

I'm The Creep!

I'm a mixing engineer, hit me up

Please support my music and purchase my NEW ALBUM
My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V

Last edited by Vendetta V : 04-02-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Vendetta V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Aerynn

I think people would be less likely to go home and download unless they really liked you (and even then, they may just forget). It's kind of like having music online but not on a CD to sell at the concert. Some may download it when they get home, but most would be more likely to impulse buy your CD while they're inspired by your music. You could also have your more professional, full album CD for sale and give away less costly, four or five song demos on cheaper disks. That way it costs you less and they get a taste of your music, which they may want more of if they like what they get.

You could also offer free stuff (or raffle) to people who sign up on your mailing list. Then you have people who, if they want your stuff, either get or have a chance to get a CD or shirt or something (we usually give a CD. That's what we'd if we were them), and then they also will get your emails about where you're playing, so there's the chance that they'll come to see you again later on, because they'll know where you're playing.
Aerynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #3
food1010
Bassist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerynn
You could also offer free stuff (or raffle) to people who sign up on your mailing list. Then you have people who, if they want your stuff, either get or have a chance to get a CD or shirt or something (we usually give a CD. That's what we'd if we were them), and then they also will get your emails about where you're playing, so there's the chance that they'll come to see you again later on, because they'll know where you're playing.
I like this idea a lot.

Alternately, you could offer a free download for everyone who "shares" a link on facebook or something. Little things like this can really help give you momentum.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #4
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

I've done the raffle bit before. We actually went to a bunch of the local businesses, and got some free promotional stuff from them. Free tickets to movies, free entree at outback steakhouse, discounted food from other restaurants. Just some stuff to give away to people would actually use, then we gave them a cd with that.

Most businesses have stuff like that, that they willingly give out for free, so it's easy to do. It went over pretty well, and I def noticed a bigger crowd than usual with advertising that.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 AM   #5
Aerynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguitarking927
We actually went to a bunch of the local businesses, and got some free promotional stuff from them. Free tickets to movies, free entree at outback steakhouse, discounted food from other restaurants. Just some stuff to give away to people would actually use, then we gave them a cd with that.

Most businesses have stuff like that, that they willingly give out for free, so it's easy to do. It went over pretty well, and I def noticed a bigger crowd than usual with advertising that.

You're officially a genius, and I love you. I am so going to try this, lol.

The download for a share on facebook is an interesting thought. That way people would already be online and more likely to go get the download, rather then forget about it. And if they 'like'd you then they probably actually like you.

Or hell, you could just stick em both together and make it a coupon download (I'm not really sure how you do that, but it is done, I think) if they share or like you on Facebook. You'll get some businesses to love you, as a side-effect.

Ah, the possibilities.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #6
Vendetta V
The Creep

thanks guys, awesome ideas right there!

I actually just discovered the 'share for a download' thingy and it seems to be a good thing.

The only issue I'm facing with mailing lists is that most of the people in this country never check their emails, so getting back at them on FB would be more productive. I should find a way to get them to like my page though.

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V
Old 04-04-2013, 11:58 PM   #7
Aerynn

That's true, emails can be lame. At the show, you could tell them to like your page and you'll send them a CD, but I'm not sure how well that would work.
Or perhaps have them like your page and share their favorite song of yours (you'd have to have your songs uploaded on Youtube or Facebook) for a free download of the album or of a few songs.

Scguitarking- Now that I think about it, how did you advertise the coupon thing? I could see putting it on flyers but not sure many people would really see or take the time to read.

Last edited by Aerynn : 04-05-2013 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #8
scguitarking927
Time for a revolution

Quote:
The only issue I'm facing with mailing lists is that most of the people in this country never check their emails, so getting back at them on FB would be more productive. I should find a way to get them to like my page though.

you gotta be personal man, phone numbers work best in this day in age. If I had ever gotten any farther with my band, I'd probably had invested in a "band" phone. You can go up to people, chit chat for a bit, get their numbers, put them in your phone, shoot them a text, or if you actually hung out with them for a bit, give them a call when you have a show. The idea is to not abuse it though, since a phone number is pretty personal and all, you don't want them to block you. A text a week before the show and then another one the night of does wonders.

Email is very outdated IMHO, everything you can do with email, you can do with facebook and other social networking sites...and they'll actually see it in a timely matter.

Quote:
Scguitarking- Now that I think about it, how did you advertise the coupon thing? I could see putting it on flyers but not sure many people would really see or take the time to read.

Yea we put it on the few flyers we did, along with the companies logos that would let us, and then when we texted people and did web blasts on facebook we'd mention it.

The second time we did it, it was a no cover night. And we were running around downtown and on the street grabbing people and telling them to come hang out, have a drink, you might win something, etc.

You can cram a lot of people in the door that way. The idea is to give something more than just 45min to a hour of music. You need to turn shows into events. I've done it with food drives, raffles, charities (good publicity), and working with the bar to lower alcohol costs for a night if we could get a lot of people there .

Be creative about it. And get out there and mingle afterwords.

Music Blog
Follow me on Twitter
scguitarking927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie

I'd lie to point out that people are more likely to listen to a CD if they paid for it. If you're hell bent on giving away free CDs, at least charge $1 or $2.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #10
Vendetta V
The Creep

Good stuff guys, keep it coming.

Yeah I agree with the emails being outdated. a band phone sounds really good. I should totally think about it although I dont think right now that' the time for a phone.

as for what Alan said. that's true! I remember getting some free CDs off the stage and never actually getting to listen to those.

I'm The Creep!

My WEBSITE

My YOUTUBE REVIEWS

And Call Me V

Rate This Thread: