Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #41
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MehrozeGillani
Aaagh, So confused, So does that mean the low-end fernandes guitars (Listed earlier by dannyalcatraz) are good guitars if I swap the electronics later on ?

You have 2 different discussions getting you confused.

1) While there will be individual and detectable differences, a cheap guitar will always be a cheap guitar, and will never really be worth upgrading unless that is your only way of improving or you happen to get a real gem of a cheap axe (it happens- I know of pros who have used Squiers as their go-to gigging axes).

2) The specs vs QC thing was in reference to the comparison $300 Jackson and the $600 Fernandes. The point there was that, despite having similar specs, the Fernandes was probably worth the extra money based on things like better overall QC and having higher cost pickups. But even if the Jackson had a Fernandes Sustainer system installed- thereby equalling its price- it is highly probable that the Fernandes was made with better parts and more attention to details than the Jackson was, so the Jackson will still not be as good a guitar.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM   #42
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
That's like saying the tuners, bridge type, wood type, and pickups do not matter on a guitar.

That is not what I was asserting. I said that they're not the sole measure of a guitar's performance. There is a difference.

The construction of the guitar is the most important aspect of the guitar and spec sheets for the most part, rarely list the full potential of the chassis the hardware is built around. They're mostly about hardware that can always be replaced whenever you want to.
Quote:
No need to state the obvious.

I never said how a guitar was put together was irrelevant. But it can only go so far, it's not rocket science.

It actually does go very far. Having a guitar with high-end features is meaningless if the guitar is built like a shithouse. Compare that to a low-end guitar that is built right and plays perfectly. There is no question that the low-end guitar is the better one to own, even if it is low-end. You can say that it only goes so far all you want, but without it, a guitar is firewood. Maybe my opinion is unpopular, but i would much rather have a playable guitar, than EMG-loaded firewood.
Quote:
Shouldn't we be helping to find this guy what he wants for his type of music he likes?

You're asking why a Fernandez is twice the price of a Jackson with similar features. You started the argument.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 08-21-2013 at 04:00 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #43
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
Having a guitar with high-end features is meaningless if the guitar is built like a shithouse. Compare that to a low-end guitar that is built right and plays perfectly. There is no question that the low-end guitar is the better one to own, even if it is low-end.

Which is why, for instance, I know of a New Orleans Bluesman who owns guitars worth more than my car cost (new), but his go-to axe was some kind of vintage Squier Strat and the amp it came with- essentially a starter guitar. That guitar earned more money in his hands than I care to speculate.

(He lost it in the floodwaters of Katrina.)

Quote:
You started the argument.

In the interests of peaceful discourse, let us rephrase that as "You started this line of discussion."

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-21-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:46 PM   #44
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
That is not what I was asserting. I said that they're not the sole measure of a guitar's performance. There is a difference.

The construction of the guitar is the most important aspect of the guitar and spec sheets for the most part, rarely list the full potential of the chassis the hardware is built around. They're mostly about hardware that can always be replaced whenever you want to.

We all know you can change the hardware whenever you want to... I guess nobody on this site knows the quality of construction of the guitar is important..? Everyone knows this, which is why I said it wasn't rocket science.

Quote:
It actually does go very far.

I said "It can only go so far". It was meant in the sense that the guitar wasn't hand crafted in the Himalaya's by Tibetan monks or anything.

Quote:
Having a guitar with high-end features is meaningless if the guitar is built like a shithouse. Compare that to a low-end guitar that is built right and plays perfectly. There is no question that the low-end guitar is the better one to own, even if it is low-end. You can say that it only goes so far all you want, but without it, a guitar is firewood. Maybe my opinion is unpopular, but i would much rather have a playable guitar, than EMG-loaded firewood.

Again you are stating the obvious. But I guess that's all you can do. Unless you can explain from start to end how the Jackson was made in detail compared to the Fernandes. If not you have contributed absolutely nothing to this thread.

Quote:
You're asking why a Fernandez is twice the price of a Jackson with similar features. You started the argument.

I said the guitars had the same specs, it wasn't a question. See how you are twisting words and meanings?

So in detail how is the Jackson constructed compared to the Fernandes? Since you think I asked a question about it. Please don't spare any minor details, tells us everything. Hand crafted by monks right?

I never started an argument, I was posting to help someone out on this thread. You however haven't helped him at all. Now post again by stating some more obvious things all the while not contributing to why this thread was made.
Blackfire. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #45
T00DEEPBLUE
UG's Towel

Location: Where people steal things and call cigarettes, 'Ciggys'
You conjectured that not regarding the spec sheet of a guitar to be the sole measure of a guitar's performance, to be comparable to saying that the specs are irrelevant altogether. And now you're saying that what i'm saying about the quality of construction, relative to hardware as 'obvious', asserting that what I'm saying is correct.

What's it gonna be?

I'm not even talking in regards to the Jackson compared to the Fernandez in particular. So asking me how exactly a Jackson guitar is crafted is irrelevant.

(´・ω・`)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chookiecookie
sounds more nasal than jack sniffing an ass

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 08-21-2013 at 10:10 PM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #46
Danitarium
Giggle Box

It doesn't matter who started it. You are all participating in it, which has NOTHING to do with the topic of this thread. There is no threat here to anyone, so no need to defend yourself of anything. Just let it go.

And will someone please start suggesting some guitars?

Do, or do not. There is no try.

KH-202 Rebuild
Swirled Alvarez Strat

ESP M-I NTB
LTD KH-202
Alvarez H/H Strat
Taylor 410ce
Peavey Valveking 100 & Windsor cab
Danitarium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #47
dannyalcatraz

Back to that: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Solid-B...500&ipp=100&o=1

These are all blemished guitars under $500- new with some kind of cosmetic issue hat prevents them being sold at full price. The Godin Redline HB would probably my pick as the best of that bunch, closely followed by the Ibanez RG450M and RGR320SP on that list.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:33 PM   #48
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
You conjectured that not regarding the spec sheet of a guitar to be the sole measure of a guitar's performance, to be comparable to saying that the specs are irrelevant altogether. And now you're saying that what i'm saying about the quality of construction, relative to hardware as 'obvious', asserting that what I'm saying is correct.

What's it gonna be?

I'm not even talking in regards to the Jackson compared to the Fernandez in particular. So asking me how exactly a Jackson guitar is crafted is irrelevant.

I'm not going to go through this again. If you can't comprehend english correctly what is the use. *Ignored*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danitarium
It doesn't matter who started it. You are all participating in it, which has NOTHING to do with the topic of this thread. There is no threat here to anyone, so no need to defend yourself of anything. Just let it go.

And will someone please start suggesting some guitars?

I agree. No more feeding the troll...

I suggested in my original post of those 2 Jackson's in his price range and they have the requirements he was looking for.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #49
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
Aaagh, So confused, So does that mean the low-end fernandes guitars (Listed earlier by dannyalcatraz) are good guitars if I swap the electronics later on ?

In your first post you mention you wanted:
Tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through the body" construction (the one without a stopbar)

The Fernandes guitar mention has a licensed Floyd Rose on it. Are you willing to use a Floyd Rose type of trem?

If you are then that opens it up to a lot more suggestions.

Last edited by Blackfire. : 08-22-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #50
dannyalcatraz

Forgot about the hardtail thing...

The Fernands Vs are among the oniy model lines i would buy, personally, and I just looked at the only others I would consider- the Reverend Volcano, the DBZ Cavallo and the Dean Chicago V- all are available without trems. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a Volcano your price range, not even used. I found one Chicago V in black for @$550 at Musician's Freind. Dean's own direct sales store sells the Chicago VS for $599 and the V Straight-Six for $550 as well (but I think 6 on a side headstock looks wrong).

(The Dean VX is available for $299, but though I love the Deans I own, I wouldn't buy a sub-$500 Dean.)

The Cavallo is different, though. If you do a search, you can find a few out there between $400-600.

Problem: all 3 are 22 fret guitars.

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 08-22-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #51
dannyalcatraz

Oh yeah- if you are in the US military- or have a buddy or family member who is- check out the Online Exchange store's "Instrument Pro" specialty vendor- they tend to have nice deals on gear and a decent selection. Don't forget the no taxes thing, too.

They also have a tendency to have some NOS- new old stock, or stuff that has been sitting on shelves for a while. I just checked, and they carry the Deans and DBZs. Their prices would mostly only differ because of the taxes you don't pay, but they happen to have the Dean V79 on sale for $470.

(Still just a 22 fret axe.)

And they may have others to look at.

Old 08-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #52
MehrozeGillani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfire.
In your first post you mention you wanted:
Tune-o-matic bridge with "strings through the body" construction (the one without a stopbar)

The Fernandes guitar mention has a licensed Floyd Rose on it. Are you willing to use a Floyd Rose type of trem?

If you are then that opens it up to a lot more suggestions.

Let's consider I do, Then what would you suggest ? The shape and the 24 frets is actually more important to me then all the other points listed in the OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danitarium
will someone please start suggesting some guitars?

LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Forgot about the hardtail thing...

The Fernands Vs are among the oniy model lines i would buy, personally, and I just looked at the only others I would consider- the Reverend Volcano, the DBZ Cavallo and the Dean Chicago V- all are available without trems.

Okay, Taking a look into them, I'm still hooked onto three choices at the moment:

1. Either the 2 Fernandes guitars you listed earlier
2. The Dave Mustaine VMNT mentioned above
3. The Jackson blackfire recommended

My current equipment:

Ibanez RG370DXZ
Line 6 Spider IV 15 Watt
Behringer V-Amp 3
MehrozeGillani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:32 AM   #53
Blackfire.
There goes my money

Quote:
Okay, Taking a look into them, I'm still hooked onto three choices at the moment:

1. Either the 2 Fernandes guitars you listed earlier
2. The Dave Mustaine VMNT mentioned above
3. The Jackson blackfire recommended

Just putting all the suggestions in one post, easier to keep track of them.

Jackson 1 $600
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/KVXTBBrb/

Jackson 2 $550
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RR24XTQSBB/

I came across this one today. It's used but it's a higher end model BC Rich V. Has EMG active pickups with Original Floyd Rose, not a licensed one.

BC Rich Jr V Deluxe $485
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Stor...777-i3311277.gc

BC Rich specs:

Active EMG pickups
Floyd Rose Original tremolo
Black Onyx finish
Body wood: nato (eastern mahogany)
Neck wood: maple
Fretboard: ebony
Body thickness: 45mm
Top style: beveled
Headstock style: Widow
Tuners: die-cast
Controls: 1 volume, 1 three-way toggle and 1 tone
Hardware: black
Frets: 24 jumbo 2.7mm
Factory strings: 9 — 42
Nut: 43mm

If it were me I'd buy the used BC Rich, over the others.

Reviews of the BC Rich:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...r-header-517529

Wow just found this on ebay: Says it has only 2 minor scratches on top and the back, but it looks brand new otherwise:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/B-C-Rich-NJ...0-/261253796595

Normally that guitar is $750.

Last edited by Blackfire. : 08-22-2013 at 09:47 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #54
dannyalcatraz

I'm not a huge fan of BC Rich- based on borrowing an inexpensive one for a few months of playing- but their stuff in the $500+ range should be comparable to other makers, and a b-stock $750 guitar should be a decent deal.

Rate This Thread: