Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-04-2013, 12:02 PM   #1
BlackHawk21

Two channels or one?

When recording guitar tracks, is it better two record one channel right and one left, or just one center channel? I find it a bit tedious to have to go back and re-record something I just played that was complex, just to get a second track of it.

Or, is there a way to record one center track and emulate the sound of two separate tracks? I'm using FL Studio by the way.
Marshall MG100DFX Amp
Other Stuff:
Jackson DXMGT(My discontinued baby)
Jackson JS30DKT
Crescent Strat copy(first guitar)
Crate GX15
BlackHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawk21
I find it a bit tedious to have to go back and re-record something I just played that was complex, just to get a second track of it.

It might be tedious, but this is how you get that big 'wall of guitar' sound. The tiny differences in timing and feel between the two tracks is what gives the illusion of a massive guitar.

There are various ways of cheating and getting a similar result with one track ('artificial double tracking', google it), but most of them involve making a copy of the part, putting it on the opposite side of the stereo field, and then slightly changing it (shifting the timing or pitch very slightly).

I don't think ADT sounds nearly as good as real double tracking though....you get lots of odd phase stuff going on and it creates a pretty cheesy effect if not carefully controlled.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:29 PM   #3
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Double tracking is always the better answer. I use it as an opportunity to use a different guitar & different amp/pedal settings to get them as different as possible.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Illustration
Iconoclast

I personally record two left two right.
Illustration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
the chemist
Resident Session Player

ADT sounds pure cheese, and is hard to control (in terms of levels).

One thing you can do is if the song follows a Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus-Bridge style is to copy and paste, IE:

Make a new track, and Copy chorus 1, and paste it in the new track in time with chorus 2. Do the same with chorus to, and align it to chorus one. Repeat for the verses.

If your playing is tight enough (and you have decent editing skills), you can give the illusion of multi-tracked guitars.

Rate This Thread: