User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #21
qvplite
UG Newbie

Cool

Afroboy267,

Good EQ and compression are definitely the answer. A while back I did an article on building your own reliable, free multiband comp at http://www.creativeedgemusic.com/20...compressor.html (since PT10 doesn't come with one stock, nor do most DAWs to my knowledge). This should help you get started on setting up some good multi-band dynamics, because you really need to look at each frequency region independently if you're having issues with a frequency specific instrument like the kick.

Essentially you're going for two sounds with your kick -- a nice low boom / thud in the 60-120 hz range, plus a click or snap somewhere in the 2k - 8k range. Personally I like kicks that have sweet spots around 60 hz and I add snap to taste between 4-8k.

You also want to make sure you're gating or cutting the Bass guitar a little bit at the sweet spot frequency of your kick so it's not getting in the way and getting blurry when your kick hits. You can even have your kick trigger a sine wav to add some low end thump in a very precise manner to enhance the sound, too.

To figure out where your sweet spot is, use a frequency analyzer (Blue Cat makes a free plugin of this, btw) to ID generally where that kick is hitting the hardest. It's often best to enhance THAT part of the EQ curve. Say you're seeing the peak around 75 Hz... well, that's where I'd put the boost. Then lower that part on the bass a few dB with EQ, or even better, have a compressor triggered by a side-chain on your kick, so every time your kick hits it compresses the Bass sound down and out of the way. You can adjust the compression and gain on your compressor to get the Bass to duck just the right amount so the kick is entirely clear without completely screwing your Bass over.

qvplite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:55 AM   #22
Afroboy267
UG's Metastatic Resonance

Holy shit, lot of replies here!

I ended up using automation with a small increase in compression and I think it sounds fine now. Thanks for all the tips though, I read them all, I'll definitely try and parallel compression and compression settings at somepoint.

Check out my Band
http://www.facebook.com/atopiaofficial
http://atopia.bandcamp.com
Afroboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: