Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
terrapinturtle

p90 strat

ok so i have a mim hss strat, never really wanted an hss strat but i got it for 75 bucks, i really love p90s so I'm wondering if i got a p90 like a Lindy Fralin or whatever could i make it just a drop in with the soap bar kind? just drill the two mounting screws straight to the body? and obviously wire it up... anyone ever done this?
Old 08-17-2013, 01:57 AM   #2
johnnykbop

P-90s are quite a lot wider so you'd have to recut your pickguard and route the body as well.

If you really want the P-90 sound, Seymour Duncan have the Phat Cat that drops straight into humbucker space. Or there's the P-Rails, which with a little wiring mastery will give you the choice between P-90, single coil, and humbucker style all from the same PU.
johnnykbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 02:49 AM   #3
Viban
UG's resident bum

He might not have to route the body if his guitar has a swimming pool route. Lift your pickguard and look underneath to See what type of route it has, if it does have a swimming pool then you might be able to just widen the slots in your pickguard.

Swimming pool route

HSS route
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:17 AM   #4
Lin689

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykbop
If you really want the P-90 sound, Seymour Duncan have the Phat Cat that drops straight into humbucker space. Or there's the P-Rails, which with a little wiring mastery will give you the choice between P-90, single coil, and humbucker style all from the same PU.

Add Gibson P-94 to that. I've put them in my Epiphone Firebird Studio a year ago and i absolutely love them.
Lin689 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
terrapinturtle

thanks! ill deffinitly check the rout style and the recommended pups!

Rate This Thread: