Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 AM   #1
giutar

B-stock guitar with crack in back...good deal?

Hello,

I have a chance to get a classical guitar, that is "B-stock". I haven't seen it yet, but it has a small crack in the back, which has been professionally repaired. The guitar has not been in use. It costs 30% less because of the crack.

Now I have been told, that this crack does not have any influence on the sound quality, and it is very unlikely to cause any problems in the future.

I was told by someone I trust (but who has not yet seen the guitar himself) that these kinds of B-stock-deals, where the guitar has a minor well repaired crack, can be considered very good deals, since there are absolutely no drawbacks coming from such a crack.

On the one hand 30% sound like an interesting reduction. On the other hand it will still be a lot of money for me even after the reduction. And when I spend so much money, I want to get something without any compromise in quality, meaning I want to be sure that the (repaired) crack can be seen as absolutely insignificant.

So I wanted to ask here for a second opinion. Sure, you can't see the guitar, but maybe there are general tipps/guidelines in estimating, whether a crack is acceptable or not.

I'm thankful for any advice,
greetings,
giutar
giutar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:00 PM   #2
patticake
Acoustic Goddess

does it cost 30% less than list or 30% less than the actual price you found at an online guitar store?

the only B stock guitars i've bought had cosmetic defects, but my husband has bought several guitars with repaired cracks that worked out pretty well. the thing is, he bought them in person, and was able to assess the damage and repair before he bought it.

many B stock sellers don't allow returns unless the guitar isn't functional, but i wouldn't buy it unless it was 30% less than actual prices the guitar sells for AND the seller had a return policy long enough to allow me to have a guitar tech or luthier check it out and approve it.

two last thoughts - i absolutely wouldn't even consider buying it without pics showing the crack clearly. and since you're asking these questions, i'm concerned you wouldn't know enough to determine from questions or photos whether the crack is fixed acceptably. that comes back to a long enough return policy to let a pro help you determine whether the crack is stable.

Last edited by patticake : 04-21-2013 at 02:02 PM.
patticake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:16 AM   #3
Prescott_Player

30 percent of what ? If it's a $100 guitar, that's only a paltry 30 bucks... but if it's a $1000 guitar then it's more of a significant amount... especially if the budget is tight.

However, I simply don't like damaged goods... when you consider that you're going to spend thousands of hours with the instrument, it seems better to pay a little more and get a flawless item.
Prescott_Player is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: