Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Cover Songs
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 09-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
I covered Space Oddity by David Bowie :)

I covered Space Oddity by David Bowie. It's my first full-production cover, so I hope you enjoy it

Here you go
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
ChucklesMginty
lol
 
ChucklesMginty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Have you ever heard of this cool thing called stereo?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Man, I forgot how freaky those old school movie skeletons are. Especially that jerky stop motion way they move.

But seriously, everybody knows skeletons don't exist in real life.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
not on board a space station/10

should be in this forum; http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?forumid=52
the timing gets pretty bad at the chorus, seems you need to sync things up better
like your voice though
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.

Last edited by Hydra150 : 09-10-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:35 PM   #4
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
Have you ever heard of this cool thing called stereo?

I had to record everything in mono because of a problem in my software, but if I may ask, how did you know that it wasn't stereo? I'm still new to recording and can't really tell the difference

Last edited by letsROCK147 : 09-10-2013 at 05:44 PM.
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra150
not on board a space station/10

should be in this forum; http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru....php?forumid=52
the timing gets pretty bad at the chorus, seems you need to sync things up better
like your voice though

I didn't really notice a timing issue. I honestly didn't try to come up with something extremely similar to the original, so I made that line a bit shorter, but thanks for your feedback I was looking for a Cover Songs forum, but couldn't find it. Should I remove this post from The Pit?
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
Hydra150
not so cowardly
 
Hydra150's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Scotland
Yeah you might as well delete this and post in the Covers forum.
__________________
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip_pepper
I'm not gonna post pics of my hot mom.
Hydra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:59 PM   #7
Mephaphil
No empty frets.
 
Mephaphil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Yea there's definite timing issues throughout. If you didn't notice it at the time it doesn't surprise me that you don't notice it now, but it's pretty obvious. Especially around the chorus.

Your voice sounds pretty good though. Play with a metronome all the time, or learn the drums
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
Well, I'll make sure to download a metronome app of something. I didn't actually do the drums, my friend did them for me, since I can't drum x)
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #9
Baby Joel
Not who I want to be
 
Baby Joel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Not where I want to be
You need to make your voice more British.
Baby Joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
Amuro Jay
Moderator
 
Amuro Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ra Cailum Battleship
Moving this to the Covers forum.
__________________
rollin' and tumblin'
breaking my own heart again
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Nuckles
Butts are where you keep sin. Buttsex would be like ploughing pure sin.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #11
cocacolabottle
taught God to play guitar
 
cocacolabottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Belgium
The timing issues aren't your fault, your singing and guitar playing is tight but the drum samples just aren't synched right. The second kickdrum comes in too fast during the first few measures and then the snare is off too on several occasions. But don't worry about that, I dig your voice and it's a nice cover. It clearly took a lot of time judging by all the overdubs so be proud!
__________________
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium!

Check out our recordings and shows here:

PSYCHONAUT
Facebook
cocacolabottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
You made me laugh, good sir x') But I actually think you're right, I'll keep the accent in mind on my next cover
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:31 PM   #13
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocacolabottle
The timing issues aren't your fault, your singing and guitar playing is tight but the drum samples just aren't synched right. The second kickdrum comes in too fast during the first few measures and then the snare is off too on several occasions. But don't worry about that, I dig your voice and it's a nice cover. It clearly took a lot of time judging by all the overdubs so be proud!

Thanks for the feedback and support! Our drummer can't keep a steady beat even though he's an incredibly fast metal drummer :l He's starting to practice with a metronome now. It did take a lot of time. Two months to be exact ._. I was learning how to record as I'm going along. I'm very glad you like it and thanks again for your support
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #14
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro Jay
Moving this to the Covers forum.

I will as soon as the guy who mentioned stereo and mono replies to me. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I'm new to this.
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:04 PM   #15
Amuro Jay
Moderator
 
Amuro Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ra Cailum Battleship
I meant I've already moved it so you don't have to worry about it
__________________
rollin' and tumblin'
breaking my own heart again
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'Nuckles
Butts are where you keep sin. Buttsex would be like ploughing pure sin.
Amuro Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #16
ChucklesMginty
lol
 
ChucklesMginty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by letsROCK147
I will as soon as the guy who mentioned stereo and mono replies to me. Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I'm new to this.


It just comes with time and developing better ears, and it's definitely more obvious with headphones. I dunno man, you can just hear that there's no width. I'm always listening for the individual sounds and when they're all panned center it's a dead giveaway.

But even then, there's a quite a big difference between an old recording that's in mono on purpose (before stereo existed) and a stereo recording artificially converted to mono, which a lot of songs on Youtube are... It actually bothers that me that most people don't care or notice. You'll see pop songs all the time with millions of views in mono, with the audio clipping and shit because the average listener can't tell.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipelfritz
Man, I forgot how freaky those old school movie skeletons are. Especially that jerky stop motion way they move.

But seriously, everybody knows skeletons don't exist in real life.

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 09-10-2013 at 07:27 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #17
letsROCK147
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: kuwait
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChucklesMginty
It just comes with time and developing better ears, and it's definitely more obvious with headphones. I dunno man, you can just hear that there's no width. I'm always listening for the individual sounds and when they're all panned center it's a dead giveaway.

But even then, there's a quite a big difference between an old recording that's in mono on purpose (before stereo existed) and a stereo recording artificially converted to mono, which a lot of songs on Youtube are... It actually bothers that me that most people don't care or notice. You'll see pop songs all the time with millions of views in mono, with the audio clipping and shit because the average listener can't tell.

Well, I guess I'll have to try to learn when to use stereo and mono, then. Thanks for the info
letsROCK147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:41 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.