Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-14-2013, 12:41 AM   #1
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Cab wiring help?

I have 2x12 cabinet with 8 ohm speakers wired in series.
I want to use a DPDT switch to be able to use only one speaker and
completely isolate the other.
Already have the switch (3 terminals on each side) and another
Input jack, if necessary.
Looking for a diagram that does not detail a stereo option, only the one I have described.
Thanks,
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
LeviMan_2001

So effectively youll have switching from 16 to 8 ohms? Easy, take the positive lead from the jack to the center of one of the sets of lugs on the switch, then connect one of the other lugs on that set to the positive from the series setup and the other remaining lug to the 'center' wire aka the positive of the first speaker in the series pair. You really only need a spdt switch btw but thats fine.
Old 02-14-2013, 01:18 AM   #3
Viban
UG's resident bum

I believe this would present an impedance problem, would it not? If your amp is 16 ohms and non selectable you might have a problem with impedance. However if you have taken that into consideration and your amp can accommodate it something likeThis should work, however you might want to wait for secondary confirmation, or do a test with your multimeter to confirm before using it on a live amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviMan_2001
So effectively youll have switching from 16 to 8 ohms? Easy, take the positive lead from the jack to the center of one of the sets of lugs on the switch, then connect one of the other lugs on that set to the positive from the series setup and the other remaining lug to the 'center' wire aka the positive of the first speaker in the series pair. You really only need a spdt switch btw but thats fine.

But wouldn't you want to take the other speaker completely out of the circuit as illustrated in my above link? I ask because I thought that having the wire still running between them cause a problem unless you effectively take it all out of the circuit, both ground and hot. correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Viban : 02-14-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:57 AM   #4
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Actually I'm wrong, it's wired parallel.
So switching would from 4 to 8ohm.
The amp is not a problem as I have a 4/8/16 option and would never switch
with the amp ON or not in standby.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #5
LeviMan_2001

Still just as easy. Just have one of the speakers come disconected when you flip the switch.

Viban, you're suggesting almost the exact same thing. The other speaker would technically still be somewhere in the circuit, but it wouldn't be functional or affect the load on the amp at all. It'd be the same as a wire just hanging out in the middle of nowhere with one end connected to the speaker. In fact, looking at yours it's the exact same, only difference is that you moved the ground where I moved the positive. That whole left side of your switch doesn't do anything because it's always connected to the same two wires

Last edited by LeviMan_2001 : 02-14-2013 at 05:43 AM.
LeviMan_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
TVeye
Not Worth It......

So that diagram is correct, with the exception of the parallel connection, right?
Thanks guys.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
TVeye
Not Worth It......

Figured it out ...... there needs to be a jumper in the mix to isolate one of the speakers.
Works good, just as I had hoped, allowing a better sound and response at lower volume with only one of ELV Force 12's pumping.
Need to get a better Ohm meter (just to be sure) before I plug the Tube head into it though.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Viban
UG's resident bum

with most multimeters you'll never get exactly 8 ohms or exactly 16,often times you'll get like 9.3 ohms and things like that, in which case you wire it as though it were 8 ohms, usually if it's closest to one ohm rating, that's likely what it is.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: