Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #1
anderson80

dummy load help

could somebody please explain how to use the thd hotplate in amp slaving.

say I have a 100w marshall plexi and 4x12 cab, I go from speaker output from the marshall to the thd on load (as a dummy load) then do I need to send it to a power amp or other amp head before I send it to my 4x12 cab??

confused
anderson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #2
Roc8995

Well, no, you don't have to, but if you're slaving an amp then that's sort of the definition of it. Slaving means taking the output from one amp and sending it into the input of another. If you're just going amp>hotplate>cab you're not slaving, though that's a perfectly legitimate use of it. If you have it set on load, though, you've muted the output so you're not going to get any sound out of the cab. That's the point of the load setting.

If the hotplate is set to max attenuation you can plug that output into another amp, and then that amp's output can go straight into a cab. If it is set to any other setting you should have a cab plugged in.

I believe this is all covered in the manual.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Well, no, you don't have to, but if you're slaving an amp then that's sort of the definition of it. Slaving means taking the output from one amp and sending it into the input of another. If you're just going amp>hotplate>cab you're not slaving, though that's a perfectly legitimate use of it. If you have it set on load, though, you've muted the output so you're not going to get any sound out of the cab. That's the point of the load setting.

If the hotplate is set to max attenuation you can plug that output into another amp, and then that amp's output can go straight into a cab. If it is set to any other setting you should have a cab plugged in.

I believe this is all covered in the manual.

To clarify this, you need to set the Hot Plate to "LOAD", not max attenuation (-16dB I believe) if you're going to slave it to another amp, & do not run the Hot Plate speaker output into another amp. To run to the input of another amp, you must use the Hot Plate's "LINE OUT" jack, because that is a guitar level signal. You can place effects (like delay, flange, etc) between the line out of the Hot Plate & the input of the second amp. The second amp typically would be a straight power amp that simply amplifies the sound of the cranked first amp, & this is the amp that powers your cabs. I use a rig like this all the time to play old Van Halen stuff. The best thing is that it sounds absolutely incredible at ANY volume, even down to a whisper, & retains most of the dynamics in the sound at low volumes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011

Last edited by riffhog : 10-11-2013 at 04:51 PM.
riffhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 05:44 PM   #4
Roc8995

Thanks for the correction, I must have been thinking of the MASS which doesn't have a strict "load" setting.

Roc8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
anderson80

ok so if youre going from amp to dummy load then to another amp where do you plug into on the second amp?
anderson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #6
riffhog
SLO Mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by anderson80
ok so if youre going from amp to dummy load then to another amp where do you plug into on the second amp?

Just into the regular guitar input jack----
You run a regular guitar cable from the line out jack on the Hot Plate to the input jack of the power amp or whatever 2nd amp you choose. Just right into wherever you'd plug your guitar cable in, because remember that the line out is a guitar level signal (not a speaker level signal). Be sure to use a speaker cable from your first amp's speaker output into the dummy load/Hot Plate speaker input (your first amp will just think there's a speaker there). The Hot Plate does not need to have any speakers connected to it (in load mode), only if you want to use the Hot Plate as a power attenuator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
riffhog is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: