Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Skw1sg44r

Is this an intonation issue?

So I went to this guitar shop last week to get my guitar's intonation looked at, and I have a feeling this dude didn't do anything he was supposed to do.

I use the tuner that's installed in my amp (Mustang II) and I posted about 2 weeks ago about a problem with my B string making my D chord sound awful. That's when I took it to this shop to get it fixed. I later read reviews on google and they weren't very positive.

So I assumed the intonation was still fuxxed up because most of the strings I would tune would be perfect, then would be sharp when played on the 12th fret (after I picked it up from the shop). So I took a screwdriver to the saddles armed with the knowledge of a DIY youtube clip and I don't seem to be making much progress.

I fixed the two bottom strings, but when I adjust the strength length for low E, A, D and G, it stays sharp even when elongating the length (turning the screw away from me)

I'm using a squire affinity. It's not the greatest, I know, but any advice on how to fix this? I've managed to make it sound a little better by fixing the sharpness on the 12th fret for the high strings, but the rest are still not wanting to cooperate.

Last edited by Skw1sg44r : 07-08-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Skw1sg44r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
DystoCreativity

Definitely an intonation issue, and one that I've seen before - or, at least, one that I think I've seen before. You may not like the answer I have.

My father had a similar problem with one of his guitars, and after a bit of hassle figuring out what was up, he found that the neck was weak and thickened it up, and that solved it - no more intonation issues.

While such an issue could be caused by a variety of reasons, I suggest checking for especially serious ones ASAP, and I'd say a steadily warping neck would qualify.
DystoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 PM   #3
Skw1sg44r

Hey, Dysto, definitely appreciate the reply. A friend of mine said the same when I asked him, but everyone who has seen the guitar physically confirms the neck is in superb condition. It's apparently its only redeeming quality.

I've been looking around online all night and the only other explanations I have found that might be the issue is the truss rod (I don't know anything about that) or the distance of the pickups to the strings. I tried adjusting the pickups, but it seems like whichever height I set them makes some poles to close or too far while the others are fine.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
dkunick
Waco

Not sure I understand what "thickening up a neck" is exactly. TS, take the guitar back to who set it up and explain exactly what is wrong and have them set it up again, no charge. Then when you pick up the guitar, test drive it in their shop before driving away to verify it's GTG. If it's not GTG, they should either fix what needs fixin' properly, or explain to you why your guitar cannot be fixed. If you can't intonate it properly at home the tech may have some tricks to get you in the ball park, clipping springs shorter, etc. If not, you may just be SOL and have a POS guitar that cannot be intonated without some significant work. Hope it works out for you without further damage to your wallet.
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
dkunick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #5
Skw1sg44r

I just assumed he meant the neck was warped when he said that...then I assumed that thickening was just some sort of process to correct it.

I really should have tested it when I picked it up, but I was still really noobish at the time (didn't really even know what the intonation process was). Wasn't expecting to get dicked by the dude like he was a use car salesman or something. Basically paid $30 for him to restring the guitar and pretend like he set it up.

When he gave it back to me, he said something about the E string hitting the fretboard and that he wasn't sure what to do about it...I fixed it in like 15 seconds of googling how to adjust the bridge.

Too bad he was in a wheelchair...dude needs a punch in the face.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
DystoCreativity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkunick
Not sure I understand what "thickening up a neck" is exactly.

Basically, he glued some strips of Mahogany and Padauk onto the back of the neck and then sanded it down until it resembled the original curve of the neck. Added stability and an awesome pattern as well.

Not the most conventional fix, perhaps, but it worked.
DystoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: