User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #1
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

Fun songs to play for a 'newbie'

Hello!

I will start off by apologising in case this is the wrong place for this thread. I'm literally brand new here and there's a strong possibility that i've followed the wrong path and found myself stuck in a dark forest surrounded by the feint outlines of angry occupants of a nearby village.

Anyway, back to business...

I've been playing the guitar for a few years on and off, but i haven't really given it any real effort until recently. I really want to pick this up properly and become really good at it. So far i've mainly been playing Oasis songs on both my acoustic and electric guitar. I've managed a few solos (Don't Look Back In Anger, Champagne Supernova & Live Forever) but other than that, there isn't much i know how to play.

Whenever i'm trying to think of new songs to play, either my mind goes blank or i pick something way out of my league...

Basically, what i'm asking from you is to suggest some fun, easy, cool, nice sounding songs to play that i can just sit and jam with. Maybe even improve my skills slightly with new stuff that i haven't played before, but mainly just that i can have fun playing.

I recently bought an Ibanez SA series, and while the guy was demo-ing it for me he was playing all different kinds of tunes to show me how it sounded, and that's the kind of thing i want to be able to do :P

So, if you can suggest a bunch of songs that i might not have thought of, that are fun to play and sound pretty cool, i'd love you! They don't have to be easy, i may be an amateur but i don't mind a challenge, and i don't give up very easily so if i can't do it at first i'll just keep going until i can. I taught myself to play Fur Elise on the piano because i was bored one day, that wasn't easy :P

I'm a huge fan of Rock and Metal, but it doesn't have to be limited to those genres. I'd love to be able to play everything, and to be honest i quite like the sound of blues/jazz.

Thank you in advance!
Old 05-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
bronicadude

start with rock songs with a blues arrangement. Look up a blues 1-4-5 progression. This way when Other songs come your way you'll get though them.

Songs? Creedence is a good start. little bit of rock blues and a tiny bit of a country twang in the licks.

Cream is a good start too. Sunshine of your love.

Metal? start with sabbath, It'll give a good start on Bar chords. Sweet leaf, paranoid, NIB.

Good luck

Gibson 50's tribute LP
Epiphone Dot
Breedlove acoustics

Last edited by bronicadude : 05-23-2013 at 10:51 AM.
bronicadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
Ciaran_Deighton

Crazy train by Black sabbath is easy enough if you practice at it, first riff I learned on guitar.
Black dog- Led Zeppelin
Shipping off to Boston-Dropkick Murphys
Crystal mountain- Death It's hard, but when you get it is brutal.

I am new as well for playing for 2 years almost I am completely shit, so those should be ok for you.
Ciaran_Deighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
lilke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaran_Deighton
Crazy train by Black sabbath

wut
lilke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
Zhu Xiong
The Mad Hatter

Any more suggestions?

I'm currently in love with Sweet Child O Mine. It's been on repeat for about a week. Of course, i'm nowhere near good enough to play that yet, i've been practising the intro riff/chorus riff, but i can't play it at full speed.

Can anybody maybe suggest some songs that will help build my speed?
Old 05-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Syndromed
French guy

Maybe the solo of Hotel California ... with some practice, it should be ok.
You can try some Pink Floyd songs as well.
Some Red Hot or SRV can help you, you should try it.

Good Luck
Old 06-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
Ciaran_Deighton

Crazy train into is actually not that hard, I find sweet child O'mine way harder. Green day are pretty basic if that's what you like, or Nirvana.
Ciaran_Deighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 AM   #8
triface
Drenched in Syrup

If you're somewhere in the beginner-intermediate stage, I'd have to recommend Fade to Black by Metallica . The solos aren't very fast, but they should be fast enough to challenge you a fair bit. Just learning the introduction alone should be able to give you at least a slight bump to your technique, assuming you're not adopting all sorts of bad habits to learn it.

Going to sound kind of stupid, but Heroes by David Cook is actually a very good song to learn alternating between palm muting and, well, not palm muting. Not a traditional rock song that a beginner would learn, but learning it helped me make big breakthroughs in my palm muting.

On an unrelated note, did you learn the whole Fur Elise in one day? That's insane. Took me about a week to learn it at about grade 3 level.

Member of the 7-String/ERG Legion
triface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
cocacolabottle
taught God to play guitar

I started out with a lot of AC/DC riffs and they really helped develop some useful techniques which I still use very often. A few suggestions: "Riff Raff," "Rocker," "Whole Lotta Rosie," ...

Then I got into an 80's metal phase and learned a lot from playing Metallica riffs and songs. Though a lot of guitarists on this forum don't think very highly of them, they've got some really fun stuff to play. Check out: "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)", "Disposable Heroes", "Ride The Lightning," ... If those are starting to become easy, try some Megadeth stuff, anything from the albums "Rust in Peace" and "Peace Sells."

Then again if you're looking to improve your knowledge of different rythmic patterns and alternative time signatures, definitely try some Tool songs. I myself started with "The Grudge" and "The Pot" and then eventually more difficult ones like "Jambi" and "Ten Thousand Days."

Hope it helps!

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
cocacolabottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #10
2PtDescartes

Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilke
wut

I saw Sabbath in the 90's couldn't believe how many conversations I overheard about expecting to hear this song. People are kinda dumb.

Oh hey learn some Black Sabbath... Iron Man, Paranoid, Into the Void, all great guitar songs.
2PtDescartes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:01 PM   #11
Steyr9001

Venom - Witching Hour, In League With Satan, Angel Dust, Black Metal, etc.

Venom has a ton of easy songs, if you have nothing else to go off of. Probably the first five or six songs I learned when I first started playing were just bad Venom covers. Since you've got some experience already, the level of difficulty may already be beneath you, to be perfectly honest.
Steyr9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Wolfie60

From my band days I would try

Whole lot of Rosie - AC/DC
Tie Your Mother Down - Queen
I believe in a thing called Love - The Darkness
War Pigs - Sabbath
Paranoid - Sabbath
Black Knight - Deep Purple
All Right Now- Free
Rosalie - Thin Lizzy
Enter Sandman - Metallica
Ziggy Stardust - Bowie
Are you going my way - Lenny Kravitz
Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young or Bon Jovi
You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi
Hotel California - Eagles
Sweet Home Alabama - ?
Smoke on the Water - Deep Purple
Wishing Well - Free
Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd

Any way a few to learn intro riffs etc and basic chord format, all well known songs
Wolfie60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
Frank M

Looks like you have a lot of really good examples of songs to work on Mr. Mad Hatter, I've noted many of them down for myself as well. Thank you everyone! I consider myself a good intermediate player, I'm working through one of John McCarty's Metal DVD programs. He has some good exercises for building up speed with a lot of Metal backing tracks for exercises. Hotel California (Eagles) was one of my first to try rhythm, Metallica is one of my favorites...no way to sound like them though Ha! I do enjoy trying to play along with some of their slower recordings though. Hope you're having as much fun as I am, sounds like you are. How are you coming along?

Last edited by Frank M : 06-11-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Frank M is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: