Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-25-2015, 02:00 PM   #5061
merriman44

Well, what kind of growling do you want to do? It seems that False cord comes to most people easier, so if you want to do it for fun I'd go that route.

I would go into it with the idea that you are going to hurt your voice temporarily. When it hurts, push through it for a bit, maybe another 15 minutes and then take a break (days usually at first). This will be the quickest way to get going and the voice is more resilient than you think.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 09:33 PM   #5062
BloodReverence

Soooooo I found out that my allergy medicine I was using was drying the **** out of my sinuses, literally blowing bloody boogers when I blew my nose. So today I stopped taking them just to see what would happen.

Well, this happened. I'd like to know what you guys think (of my singing and my limited screaming I did on the track to make it relevant to this forum ahaha)

Rhinestone - Heartist (My vocal Attempt)

Especially hoping to hear from you Merriman, since you're so well versed in both aspects. I'd love to hear what you think of my voice (even if it sounds a bit weird over the original vocalist)

Last edited by BloodReverence : 07-25-2015 at 09:48 PM.
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #5063
merriman44

First, I can't believe I never thought to mention this, but one of the worst drugs on the planet for vocals are anything that says "anticholinergic effects." In the medical world it translates to "Can't see, Can't pee, Can't spit, Can't shit." It yanks all of your moisture right out of you, starting with your mouth and throat. Many drugs are anticholinergics, especially any that are meant to perform the above phrase.

Anywho, onto the critique:
Tonality/Distortion: Clear as a bell high tone that sounds just awesome and your distortion has always been enviable my man. You have alot of indwelt talent!

Pitch/timing: Pitch and timing are a bit of a difficulty for you right now. You nail it sometimes but for the most part you are very pitchy. But I also understand why as you haven't been able to train your voice due to your damn allergies. Damn those allergies. Damn them to hell.

Overall, if you can start practicing scales, your voice is going to be incredible for stuff like that which you covered. That whole post punk, pop punk, hard core, deathcore scene really digs a male with clear high vocals and that scream.

Or you could join me and together we could make a Trivium cover band lol. :P
Old 07-26-2015, 01:00 PM   #5064
BloodReverence

Thanks for the critique Merriman!

For the tonality/distortion, is this about my screaming or singing? Either way I really appreciate the compliment!

For Pitch/Timing, the timing on this one I felt wasn't too bad, but I know in the second verse I was slightly off from the original (which I feel made me sound pitchier than I was). But I do agree, I'm definitely a bit pitchy in this range as I don't get the chance to even use half that range most of the time, but I'm going to try working on it as much as I can.

I've actually been practicing scales for a long time, and a ****load of them. I'm just coming from a base of being tonedeaf and having a 2 octave vocal range ahahah. This entire song is out of my natural range (almost all in my mix/head voice) so it's definitely challenging.

I'm down for a Trivium cover band Or even a dual cover with ya
BloodReverence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:49 PM   #5065
LeeAlacoque

Here's my false chord at about a month and a half from starting. How am I doing?
https://soundcloud.com/leealacoque/...0072015/s-wfcLA

22 days ago, for reference:
https://soundcloud.com/leealacoque/...8072015/s-wWco7

Last edited by LeeAlacoque : 07-30-2015 at 09:50 PM.
LeeAlacoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #5066
merriman44

Lee, why don't you try covering a song? That would prove to be more helpful in diagnosing any problem. At least it does for me. When you merely do wordless Ughs, you are not phonating like you will when performing a piece of music.
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #5067
merriman44

BR- My comment on tone and distortion was to be applied universally. It sounds tight, together and very well done.
Old Today, 01:59 PM   #5068
LeeAlacoque

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
Lee, why don't you try covering a song? That would prove to be more helpful in diagnosing any problem. At least it does for me. When you merely do wordless Ughs, you are not phonating like you will when performing a piece of music.

There's a few seconds at the end where I actually say something. It doesn't feel much different anyway. I usually have music playing when I practice and I'll repeat some of the lines.
LeeAlacoque is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: