Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
THRE=yeah

Techniques

I feel like when i sing i may not being doing the right technique. could someone explain how singings feels when it's right. Mainly how loud.
THRE=yeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
THRE=yeah

Like how loud should it be. People I want to sound like: Billie Joe Armstrong mainly, but still originaly myself.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

If you don't want to/can't take singing lessons, practicing with a band is a way I have developed my voice (we didn't have microphones so my throat was wrecked after every rehearsal lol, but my voice has improved indeed), just having loud instruments around you while you are singing can make you sing in the ideal volume. And if you hear yourself over external amplification, the better.

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
mjones1992

I find that the more 'umph' you have behind your voice, the clearer the notes come out (until you reach the point of distortion, which'll give you a screaming/belting sound). I tend to achieve more umph by literally pushing more air through while I sing. Just pretend you've just sprinted around the block. It's that same feeling of heavy breathing minus the violent intake. The harder you breathe out while singing = the louder and clearer.

But it all depends, you wanna at least put enough into it so that you don't sound like a kid going through puberty (voice cracks), but a lot of singers use falsetto, and change the intensity of the singing per song/ or part of song depending on the mood of the piece.

As far as volume? Loud enough so that you can hear it. Nothing's worse then someone mumbling through something thinking that they're singing it.
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:28 PM   #5
THRE=yeah

How about singing like billie joe armstrong
Old 02-28-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

In most cases, imitating famous singers leads will lead to problems with your singing. If you naturally sound like him, just sing like him. If you don't, well then, inflate your ego a little bit and start making your own style.
The most counterproductive thing in singing is trying to copy a singer whose voice is a totally different story than yours, believe me. I tried to sing Child in Time once I was playing a gig. It was terrible.

Aw yeah.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #7
THRE=yeah

ok thanks. Could someone atleast explain his style. If not, I'll just do my own thing which i planned on doing anyways.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:10 PM   #8
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNameOfNoone
If you don't want to/can't take singing lessons, practicing with a band is a way I have developed my voice (we didn't have microphones so my throat was wrecked after every rehearsal lol, but my voice has improved indeed), just having loud instruments around you while you are singing can make you sing in the ideal volume. And if you hear yourself over external amplification, the better.

Egads, no, no, no.

If your throat is consistently raw and wrecked after signing YOU ARE DOING IT WRONG.

Trying to sing loud before you have good technique is a good way to do permanent damage to your voice.

It's almost impossible to explain good singing technique in a post. It'd be kind of like explaining a swimming stroke - it's too physical, and most people's proprioperception isn't calibrated to understand what they're doing.

Save up. Take a few lessons. Get at least a basic understanding of what good singing is supposed to feel like.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

I was explaining how I learned to sing. Of course I was doing it wrong, that is the way of learning how to do it right.

Aw yeah.
Old 03-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
Duce180

To me, singing with proper technique has a feeling of resonance in whats called the "mask", proper resonance is key. The sound comes across easily, theres no pushing or straining, and theres a sense of effortlessnes. Not complete effortless in the sense that your not doing anything, but in the way that a great basketball player can hit a shot with ease.

Get yourself some lessons with a vocal coach.

As far as billie joe armstrong, dont try to imitate anyone right now, get your technique down first, then maybe you can incorporate some of armstrongs style. You dont start off learning guitar two hand tapping, you first learn how to fret notes, how to play chords etc..
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
THRE=yeah

what if i do know technique
Old 03-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #12
ccannon1
Band Geek

then you listen and imitate. Most of his 'live' sound comes from a compressor unit that he uses. That's all I know.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
HotspurJr

I will say, asking someone to describe what proper singing feels like is sort of like asking someone what a proper forehand shot in tennis feels like.

Do you think I could explain to you what a good forehand was supposed to be in a bulletin board post in a way that really helped you to do it at all?

We have a limited ability to learn physical things by talking about them. Ask anyone who's taught tennis. You can say, "follow through" all you want, and half the time the student will say "I am following through!" even when they're not.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: