Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-23-2013, 12:25 PM   #21
MaaZeus

In my experience a distortion pedal needs a good rich clean channel to work with. Out of the Jet City... maybe? Its a single crunch channel amp though which you'd have to run clean and you'd have to be careful not to boost it back to distortion levels. Two distortions stacked on top rarely sounds good. But if I can speculate, it may work though not optimally. Unsure really.

Out of Spider, dont bother. Might as well as use the built in gain, even though it sucks. But running a pedal through wont make it any better. Since its a digital modeler it may even get much worse. Its not designed for pedals.

I say sell them both to expand your budget and get a Vypyr Tube. It should be enough and it will cover all genres you play. If not, the biggest solid state Vypyr will do also. It fits in your budget too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 12:42 PM   #22
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

You can get a Vypyr Tube 60 starting at $250 used. I got mine for $315 over a year and half ago and it has an awesome metal/metalcore tone imo.
http://s545.photobucket.com/user/bu...2b744d.mp4.html
Old 10-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #23
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 311ZOSOVHJH
You can get a Vypyr Tube 60 starting at $250 used. I got mine for $315 over a year and half ago and it has an awesome metal/metalcore tone imo.
http://s545.photobucket.com/user/bu...2b744d.mp4.html

Problem is, we are in Europe. Vypyr Tube is about 500 +- something new around here, if I do not remember wrong. Used however should just and just be in his budged if he sells one of his amps. And if he can find one used in the first place too.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-23-2013 at 01:02 PM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_SG
Thanks very much, and sorry for the late reply. Is a distortion pedal not an option, by the way? I know amp distortion is better but I don't think I'm looking for anything amazing

No worries.

Yep a distortion pedal would be an option, too. I'd probably get a middle of the road, not-too-heavy distortion box and run it over a crunchy amp tone- I disagree with MaaZeus (normally I agree with him), I like the tone of a distortion pedal into a crunchy amp, to me it rounds the hard edges off a distortion box and sounds more tube-like.

I find though that it normally doesn't help with the sustain as much as an od- normally i'd run a distortion box and then boost it with an OD pedal. I prefer the sound that way, to me it sounds and feels more "tube-like". But I know not everyone like that, some people think that sounds way too compressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:49 AM   #25
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The problem I have with distortion pedals is that ones even worth getting cost so much, you're pretty much at the border of just buying a used 6505+ 112. Which will blow pretty much any pedal away for those tones.

But if you really want a pedal, look at the Amptweaker Tightmetal.

Possibly the Wampler Triple Wreck too, but I've heard it and it's not really a modern metal beast like some claim it is. The Tightmetal is the only thing I really know of for that stuff straight up.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey USA Predator
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i have a bunch of cheapo distortion pedals that sound great, if you ask me.

I used to agree with you- turned out i was just trying the wrong pedals

rat is fairly cheap and sounds awesome (especially if you get a cheapo clone). you can also get clones of the suhr riot, crunchbox, shredmaster, plexitone, etc. etc. for cheap and they sound pretty good (the ones I've tried, anyway).

i agree that buying a superexpensive distortion box is kinda silly, though, if that's the main tone you need. as you said, that kind of money gets you within range of an amp which'll do the tone you want out of the box (or at least with a cheap ts-style od pedal used as a boost), and in my (limited) experience anyway, for those modern high gain tones, amp trumps pedal.

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 10-24-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #27
Eddie_SG

Right, thanks very much for your help everyone. I am really surprised at the number of people willing to help people out

Unfortunately, my circumstances have changed. In 3 weeks I have a small concert and, among our setlist, we have this.

I can't get the funds together in time for a new amp so I'm probably looking for a distortion pedal to run over my clean Jet City (seems like the jury is still out on an OD boost; I'd have to get hold of one myself and try it out).

Metal/metalcore pedal for under 60? I doesn't have to be amazing, I'm playing alongside someone using a marshall mg15 and a behringer dm100 and the mix probably won't be that great.

In all honesty I don't play huge amounts of heavy stuff anyway anyway, and a quick fix is all I'm really after at the moment. Thanks for all the help, once again.
Eddie_SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

are you willing to run the jet city slightly crunchy so that it's kinda crunchy when you dig in but cleanish when you pick lightly? if so i don't think you need a metal pedal, a bog standard distortion pedal over the top would likely do it. an od boost pedal wouldn't hurt either for leads. an eq pedal mightn't hurt, either.

problem is getting all that for 60. I reckon you could get two pedals for 60, but probably not 3.

Quote:

Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #29
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks

If you can up your budget for a Peavey 6505 112. It will blow away anything you are looking at now. It's a bit more expensive but it's a great price for what you get it one of the best tube amps you can get for 500.00 IMO. I love mine and it was bred for metal.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute
1999 Ibanez RG470 (MIJ)
Peavey 6505+
Egnater Tweaker 15 (Yeah, I tweak)
Fallenoath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #30
dontbelilbitch

Maybe you should stop playing core.
dontbelilbitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:54 PM   #31
Spambot_2
Name's Luca

HahahahahahahahaHAHAHAhahahHAHaahahahaHAHAHAHahaha hahaHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHahaha HAHAHAHAHAHAHa that was soooooooooooooo much ****in fun...

Kinda unnecessary and a bit mean though.
Plus, there's written in the rules that you shouldn't bump months old threads, so please don't do that again.

Rate This Thread: