Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-13-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
Vblue

I want to learn guitar but was wondering...

Hi guys,

I'm new to guitar. I have an acoustic but haven't started to learn yet.
My question is...is learning bass easier then lead or rhythm? I realize it makes more sense since there are two less strings but being a newb I need some direction here.
Thanks
Vblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
cha33 armstrong
don't take me seriously

Depends how good you want to be as a bassist
Old 01-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
sikorad15

I would say learning bass is easier, but getting good is harder. If your just doing basic bass riffs (e.g like just one note at a time). its not very hard. Most of the time on bass your only playing one string at a time. With guitar your playing sometimes all six. Learning bass may help you to learn guitar down the road too. Thats my two cents anyway. Good luck!
sikorad15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 04:42 PM   #4
Vblue

Thanks guys.
@cha33, I want to be good at whatever I choose. I just seem to have been getting interested in it for some reason.
I do feel bassist's are under-rated for some stupid reason. Why is that? Basses are beautiful guitars in my opinion, maybe that's why I'm getting interested in bass.
@sikorad15, thanks for the advice/help...hmmm not sure how to spend my money.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:02 PM   #5
Ziphoblat
Hazardous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vblue
Hi guys,

I'm new to guitar. I have an acoustic but haven't started to learn yet.
My question is...is learning bass easier then lead or rhythm? I realize it makes more sense since there are two less strings but being a newb I need some direction here.
Thanks

Let's try something. We'll have two 100m sprint races. After the first, I'll cut two of your legs off, then you can try again, and you can tell me whether it's easier or harder to run with two less legs.

But, in all seriousness, it's not really a valid question. Playing the bass would be "harder" than the guitar if such a thing were possible; it requires more physical assertion to play, and requires you to reach further between notes because of the increased scale length necessary to produce such low fundamental frequencies. If, in a hypothetical situation, the difficulty of a piece of music was quantifiable, and a single piece of music existed that was empirically the hardest piece of guitar music to play, then because of the aforementioned physical differences between the bass and the guitar, playing the same piece of music on a bass would be harder still. However, as it happens, such a thing does not exist, and there is no ceiling on where you can take the playing of any particular instrument (beyond your imagination, devotion, and life-span, anyway). Consequently, the notion that any one instrument can be held to be more difficult to play is nothing but absurd and inane speculation.

The triangle is very often heralded as a simpleton's instrument; subject to all of the cookie-cutter "easy to play" mantras. However, the physical limitations of the instrument on surface value have done little to inspire composers and instrumentalists alike, so very little has happened in the way of expanding the perceived boundaries of the triangle as an instrument. That being said, I have no doubt that an utterly mind blowing triangle solo exists within the realm of possibility, and that the first person to do so will have no problems what-so-ever (aside from the preconceptions of their peers) in being noticed and recognised as an artist for doing so. Such is one of the advantages of playing bass (in my opinion). It is a far less over-saturated art form than playing the guitar, and as such, in my experience, less is required of you to become noticed and respected by your audience. The primary drawback here is that you will also have less to draw inspiration from (though this isn't really an issue with the internet).

What I'm trying to say, is that you should play the instrument that inspires you the most. The people who criticise bassists for the simplicity of their instrument are simply ignorant, and are actually criticising the musicians that exist within their narrow musical spectrum for their simplistic bass parts. It is an opinion formulated of the same logic that would suggest that playing the guitar is easy because of the likes of Green Day, for example. Try and forgo these silly "limitations" regardless of the instrument which you ultimately find yourself playing, and your music will be all the better for it.

Oh, and there's nothing to stop a bass from having more than 4 strings, or a guitar 6. Just check out this Jerzy Drozd beast, played by the great Yves Carbonne.

Last edited by Ziphoblat : 01-13-2014 at 06:16 PM.
Ziphoblat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 11:47 AM   #6
chatterbox272

Playing entirely quaver root notes on bass is just as easy/difficult as playing quaver power chords on rhythm guitar. Thing is people will think you're a pretty poor guitarist if you can only play quaver power chords, whereas people are more accepting of that in bass playing.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.

Last edited by chatterbox272 : 01-14-2014 at 11:48 AM. Reason: multiple spaces were getting truncated
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Vblue

Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated. Hard when you're just starting out to know where and how to begin. I like all guitar so choosing is the hard part. Bass has been kinda nagging at me.
Then buying one and what to look for is the next issue because I don't play so knowing what is a good guitar to buy and what isn't will be the next step. Anybody got a budget that I should be thinking of spending. I know the more I spend probably the better the guitar but there must be some pointers out there.
From the responses here, I think I'm going bass.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #8
JelloCrust

I must ask; are you doing this to get laid? Because it won't help. That being said, go with whichever you like better. They are different, so it requires different learning, methods, etc.
JelloCrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM   #9
Vblue

Jellocrust, lol, no but good idea! I just read the FAQ and got some answers there. Should have checked that out first guys, sorry.
To everyone who responded, thanks for ignoring my ignorance. lol
Old 01-15-2014, 12:22 AM   #10
anarkee
oh the horror!

Play whatever instrument that feels right for you. Period. If you love an instrument then that's your calling as a musician. And learning another one never harms but expands you as a musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
breebobass

I know a few guitarists who learned bass to get better at playing guitar. It takes much more finger strength and endurance to play bass. Also, if someone says bass is easier than guitar I would expect them to be an amazing bass player, and an even better guitar player.
The difficulty of the instrument cannot really be measured, it is the quality of the player that matters most. Keep in mind that bass takes more ingenuity to create something amazing. Like having less colors to paint an immaculate portrait; it can still be done it just may be harder to do.
breebobass is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: