Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
mr gOiD
ALL HAIL HETFIELD

Getting the Right Sound out of a single coil?

Apologies first, if this is in the complete wrong place but:

I've recently switched to a Telecaster and I love everything about the guitar. The only problem is that I'm pretty much mentally challenged when it comes to single coil pickups

I LOOOVE what I've been getting for a middle of the road crunch sound along with what it does for cleans but, I was wondering if anyone had any tips for how to get a good heavy sound out of the bridge pup (just your standard single coil)?

Whether it be something on the guitar itself or a good amp configuration, I'd appreciate any help!

Thanks!

You Stay Classy, Ultimate Guitar
mr gOiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #2
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Depends how you define heavy, what you're thinking of might not be entirely possible with a stock telecaster. Can you give an example of what you're looking for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #3
mr gOiD
ALL HAIL HETFIELD

I guess I shouldve included that they're Fender Noiseless pups (idk if that's standard, I bought it used.)
But, right now I'm trying to learn "Still Counting" by Volbeat, and I would like to play it with the tele because it plays the cleaner parts perfectly but I didn't know how possible it would be for the heavy parts in that song? Or if I would have to just settle with one of my humbucking guitars

Old 02-02-2013, 06:47 PM   #4
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Yeah, that's not a single coil tone and there's going to be at least 2 or 4 rhythm tracks during the heavier sections. You're not going to get that tone alone with a tele in your room unless you're running a full stack with more gain than anyone could ever use. You'll get closer with something with humbuckers but you might still have trouble replicating the sound of double tracking.

Quote:

Quote:

Old 02-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #5
mr gOiD
ALL HAIL HETFIELD

That's pretty much what I expected.

But, I'm also sort of wondering how to get a heavier sound more like around Iron Maiden, as I know they all rock the single coil sound for the most part.

I feel like I just started playing guitar when it comes to getting a really good sound out of single coils. I really wish I had used one earlier on

Old 02-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #6
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr gOiD
That's pretty much what I expected.

But, I'm also sort of wondering how to get a heavier sound more like around Iron Maiden, as I know they all rock the single coil sound for the most part.

I feel like I just started playing guitar when it comes to getting a really good sound out of single coils. I really wish I had used one earlier on

I don't know if this has always been the case but certainly on their more recent tours (like the last 5-10 years) none of them have been using straight single coils. All the gear rundowns I can find lately have them using either humbuckers or single-sized humbuckers like SD Hot Rails or similar. In fact I don't think I can think of or find a single picture where they aren't using one of those two options.

Also remember: they're either in the studio where you can use many guitar tracks and EQs to really fill out the sound or they're playing sodding great Marshall stacks live. Pure volume and tube saturation can do a huge amount for what might otherwise be a relatively weak tone.

Finally don't forget: they have a really good bass player backing them up. Again, you might not notice it if you don't know what you're listening for but a good bass player fills out the sound of a band more than most people will ever realise. You really have no idea just how much until you've tried to play or listen to a show without one.

Quote:

Quote:

Rate This Thread: