Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-26-2013, 04:19 AM   #21
BeneathTheSea

I own a 5150 III 50 watt, gig with it frequently in a thrash/death band, big 4 cover band, black metal/Viking metal band, and a second thrash cover band, but have used it for other gigs as well. It holds up for all of that no problem. I see why people complain about the level or claim it doesn't do whatever they want, but I think its mainly user error. I am a sound engineer and I run it with some pedals or boards depending on the need of the show, but it does all sorts of great tones especially for metal. My advice is to ignore channel 2 completely, get a great noise gate use channel one for clean and channel three for leads and rhythms which can be if EQed right and if you want to accent it more add a tube screamer or a EQ pedal.

Definitely one of the best sounding tube amps I've played, ENGL Powerball II probably being runner up when you include the price as a factor. Also 50 watts is plenty, I never have had to turn it more than half way up. The whole 100 watts for head room doesn't really apply as 50 watts is more than enough head room. Even Diamond Head when I ran sound for them used Powerballs which are 100 watts but had their amps below 3 when playing live. The 5150 III is a beast of an amp, but does require some tweaking to get tones that both have great low end and great soloing capabilities. I've also used it on both a 2x12 EVH cab and 4x12s Marshalls and Mesa cabs, sounds good on all live.
BeneathTheSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #22
SimplyBen
Call me Ben :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
i played the evh 50 watt a bunch the last couple of days.

i have to agree with dkunick about chugging away on channel 2. but i'm not a big metal guy so i'll leave it at that.

the volume difference between 1 and 2 is only real apparent at lower volumes. at band volume i don't think it's much of an issue.

it has the typical fender mexico volume pot that kicks up at a point. it's not going to do super quiet whisper volumes, it's just not made for that. it likes to be loud.

very versatile.

I dunno, I had it fairly loud when I tried it and found that share controls between the 1st & 2nd channel unbearable. When I found a great sounding clean, it killed off what I wanted from the second channel, probably just me though

Didn't overly get on with the 3rd channel either, would have been far happier with just channels 1 & 2 with separate controls.

YMMV though.
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

SimplyBen is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: