Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  

Old 01-04-2013, 02:49 AM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2011
a new amp thread yet again

hey forum,

i was looking into buying a bigger amp for gigging. i have narrowed it down to a few amps:

Mesa boogie mark iv
Engl Thunder or Screamer
EVH 5150 iii 50 watt version
Peavey 6505+
Bugera 333xl infinium
Laney ironheart

basically any tube amp that's at least 50 watts and is a high gain amplifier. I own a blackstar 2x12 cab which does sound really good with any amplifier, not just the ht range. I mainly play in the style of progressive metal and djent. I play through an ibanez premium 7 string.

jackson4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:54 AM   #2
or simply Nick
cdr_salamander's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Whatever you end up getting, please make sure you have adequate power in your house.

I would definitely say the Mark IV but I would also say give that 5153 a try too.
Originally Posted by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #3
Registered User
Join Date: Sep 2011
which would you say has the better clean channel out of those two?
jackson4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Doesn't speak guitar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Traffic Town LA
What is your budget? What is the biggest city near you?

Help us help you
Originally Posted by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
likes hamuckers.
trashedlostfdup's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Originally Posted by cdr_salamander
Whatever you end up getting, please make sure you have adequate power in your house.

I would definitely say the Mark IV but I would also say give that 5153 a try too.

i have a MKIV and love it. it can do anything with a boost or even just guitar to amp, i use the second channel pushed with a timmy and it screams

i like it better than the third channel (which is set to mark morton of LOG's eq.

its also nice that you have an option to use the EQ and it makes it a little more versatile.

i paid $875 for the long head with footswitch with fresh tubes mesa power tubes (they are just relabels though) i don't remember what the preamp tubes are i think JJ's. cleans a great although i have very minimal 5153 experience. like 5 minutes, so i don't really have enough time with it to judge it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Originally Posted by H4T3BR33D3R
The reason why people like relic'd guitars is because they look played in and road worn. Not the result of somebody with a saw, torch and a couple of hits of acid.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:48 AM   #6
Registered User
BoneAndDream's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
try original 5150/6505

look into 2 channel dual rectifier
BoneAndDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #7
Chaser of 'Tone'
Sakke's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2009
The Laney Ironheart is a really good choice for those styles IF you're on a tight budget. However, given that you're considering a Mark IV, you probably should try to narrow your amp choices a bit. You've got expensive and then budget amps.
Gear pics

Originally Posted by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Sakke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:38 AM   #8
Registered User
Join Date: Nov 2012
I Used and Engl (fireball) for shows and rehearsals for over 2 years and I must say, it sound great, but his clean channel isn't that good... The problem with the Engl's sound is that it is very compressed. This compression sounds very awsome but if the other plays an amp like dual recitifer, 6505, H&K trilogy, his sound will dominate your, and you won't be able to recognise your own sound anymore... :'(
That the reason why I bought a dual Rectifier.

The Peavey 6505+ may have a seperate clean channel. But i think that your still able to hear that it isn't an amp that's created for playing clean :p But this is the only "negative" thing I have to say about the peavey ;-)

And the Mesa mark IV is suposed to be awsome. My guitar teacher olayed one of those (after owning pretty much every other amp out there) and he always told me that it was the best amp he ever had (it could be that it was a mark V, not sure anymore)

And don't count on a burgera for playing show, a couple of friends of mine bought burgera-amps and they all broke down
MalfaitFre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
One among the fence.
Offworld92's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Southern California, USA
You really can't go wrong with a 5150 III for djent and prog. I know Periphery and Gojira both recorded their latest albums with it, not sure who else has off the top of my head.

The Mark IV is obviously a good choice for more classic prog sounds, maybe not so much for full on djent sounds.

6505+ isn't great if you need good cleans.

Bugera is shit, not worth considering in your assumed budget.

Not sure about either of those Engls or the Laney. Aren't those particular Engls lower gain compared to their bigger stuff? And isn't the Laney just another 6505+ clone? Again, not sure.

5150 III is the safest bet IMO.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #10
Registered User
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
yeah i would say the last 3 are a bit lacking compared to the top 3...
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:44 AM.

Forum Archives / About / TOS / Advertise with us / Customer Support / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2015
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.