Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
Metalloy

proper settings fir my pedals?

hello there,
I'm seeking help for how to properly fiddle with the knobs on my pedals to get closer to the sound i want.
I have metal muff, the one qith top boost.
boss EQ pedal.
Boss NS2
hardwire delay and trex tobebug chorus but I do know how to get the best of them.

The thing is mainly about the metal muff and the eq, see there's a possiblity of eqing the metal muff itself, and i also have the eq pedal, how to get the best eqing combination?
and I am going to play in 3 days in a live concert, only 2 songs really, enter sandman and unfoegiven 3, I am playing lead, but I will have to use the amp provided on stage since my amp is too small for the task and doesnt have a line out, the stage will probably provide a modulation amp, more specifically a vox or a line 6, but ofcourse the big models, I was wondering what to do with these amps to get the best out of my pedal chain, since I never used a modulation amp before, should I turn all the modulation effects from the amp off? can I?

Thanks for the help.
Metalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:47 PM   #2
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

1) Set everything to 12.

2) Go nuts. Why can't people learn to EQ themselves...?

Also, do you mean a modelling amp? Bypass all the effects on the amp and run it on a clean channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Eppicurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Metalloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
1) Set everything to 12.

2) Go nuts. Why can't people learn to EQ themselves...?

Also, do you mean a modelling amp? Bypass all the effects on the amp and run it on a clean channel.

thanks but i meant i have 2 eqs, the one on the metal muff and the eq pedal itself, is there a priority for one of them? should i set the metal muff on noon and just eq with the boss pedal?
Old 10-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

Yeah. Do the same. Set everything to 12 and start fiddling with them until you find a sound you like. There's no 'standard' EQ setup, both EQ's will affect one another and you have to find a sound you like with both.

It's all circumstantial as well. Depends on your guitar, amp, etc.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Metalloy

thanks for the help
Old 10-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
I K0nijn I

Also, don't expect to hit the exact sound you're looking for in a few minutes or even hours. It took me really long to get the exact sound I wanted out of my Big Muff and having used it on 3 different amps, I had to start over every time I changed amps.
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:07 PM   #7
Eppicurt
Don't even like pedals.

I'm constantly tweaking. I always change my mind on sound.

Quote:
Old 10-25-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

quick run down on eq:

bass - gives you a thicker, woofier sound
mids - gives your guitar a honkier sound. mids are a MUST when you want to hear yourself in a band mix. mids is where most of your guitar signal lives.
treble - the stuff that hurts your ears when you turn it up too much.

why do you want to use two eqs? the metal muff has a pretty powerful eq from what i've heard. and more bands doesn't necessarily mean better. only use the eq if you are literally unable to get an eq from the metal muff that you are happy with. in which case, set all the knobs to 0db and play from there.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
MickAlmighty
UGs ONLY Human-Raccoon

Flat EQ on the amp.

Metal Muff - Metallica kind of sound I got had the bass on around 7, miss abouts 4, trebble around 5. Gets you a nice, chunky Metallica kind of rhythm.

Set your EQ to boost the mids and a bit of trebble. Then kick it in for your leads. BOOM, right to the front of the mix

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
MickAlmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 AM   #10
I K0nijn I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eppicurt
I'm constantly tweaking. I always change my mind on sound.

I tweak a lot on pedals, but the settings on my amplifier are dead set. :P I only touch the volume knob and gain knob. :P
I K0nijn I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 04:44 AM   #11
Metalloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickAlmighty
Flat EQ on the amp.

Metal Muff - Metallica kind of sound I got had the bass on around 7, miss abouts 4, trebble around 5. Gets you a nice, chunky Metallica kind of rhythm.

Set your EQ to boost the mids and a bit of trebble. Then kick it in for your leads. BOOM, right to the front of the mix

is your metallica settings with top boost alway turned on? since If I'm not mistaken the top boost does exactly what you proposed to do with my eq pedal right?

For all of you, if I am justvto use the eq on the metal meff for the distortion eqing, where should I place the EQ pedal for eqing the clean signal? and do i have to include it in the send-return loop of the Noise gate?

*edit* : I just tried using the eq pedal as boost, WOW! thanks man.

Last edited by Metalloy : 10-26-2012 at 05:48 AM.

Rate This Thread: