Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 AM   #3841
-MintSauce-
Time Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
Is wood expensive for making anything in general?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher403
Sometimes. Yes. No.

Want to get a little more specific? I'm not surprised nobody answered this question in the quick questions thread.

You need to be more specific and more patient. This thread isn't quick in the respect that anwers are given promptly, but that the questions are too small to justify a dedicated thread.

Tonewood is usually expensive because of the type of cut and figuring. The cuts that give stability have a lower yield from a log, and good figure is obviously rare. Add that to any voodoo about tone and you get lots of money.
-MintSauce- is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:49 PM   #3842
doubtfulsalmon

I'm looking to replace the input and output jacks on my korg monotron delay because they're a bit dodgy and I'm rehousing it for further mods, I've got a schematic but I'm just checking I'm interpreting it correctly (I'm fairly new to this kind of thing)

http://www.korg-datastorage.jp/Manu...20DELAY_sch.pdf

Am I correct in thinking only the ring connections are switched on the jacks? Also would it be ok to replace both input and output with mono jacks? (no need for stereo in the application I use it). Thanks.
Old 06-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #3843
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Pic of the jacks? I can't tell from the diagram what type they are supposed to be. Never seen them with 4 contacts before (except in smartphones and an mp3 player once)...

Another forced hiatus...
Invader Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:49 AM   #3844
doubtfulsalmon

Here's what they look like http://www.avalon-zone.be/blog/wp-c...ron_unboxed.jpg

I know I thought it was weird too. The other thing that I found weird is that the instruction manual explicitly states to only use a stereo jack in the sockets but as far as I can tell there isn't any need to.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:45 PM   #3845
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Yeah those are the same jacks I thought they'd be. Honestly I'd use the same type if possible. Buuut... if you cut the traces to the ring contact on both of them you may be able to use normal 1/4" mono jacks, since you are using this for something non-stereo.

The jacks have 4 connections: frame (idk what else to call it), sleeve, ring, and tip, in that order starting from the front of the jack. For normal mono and stereo plugs, the frame and sleeve will always be connected when the plug is inserted, so idk why they made it so that Q10 and the junction of R84/R85 are floating when no plug is inserted, as inserting a plug will always ground them.

As it sits, with no mods, using a mono plug in these jacks would be less than desirable. For the headphone jack, it would essentially ground the output of one of the amps in the power amp IC. You'd probably need a new power amp chip if this one has no short-circuit protection. For the line in jack, it would end up shorting across R56, causing the junction of R41/R42/C15 to be grounded, changing the gain and frequency response of the stage around IC4D (or possibly making it go crazy or just become inoperable).

At least that's how I read it. I could be wrong.

Another forced hiatus...
Old 06-15-2014, 05:03 PM   #3846
doubtfulsalmon

Cool, thanks for your help. I'll try and track down some sockets with the right number of connections.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:04 PM   #3847
Helicopters!
You need a new amp.

Where can I get a rattle can that's as close as possible in hue to Fender's Lake Placid Blue that also has a bit of glitter to it? I'm refinishing a strat right now and I'm obsessed with the color but I would go bananas if I could get it to sparkle too.
Helicopters! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #3848
Verbal

Noob setup question:

Is it a good idea to let guitar/bass rest between string changes when going from low tuned high gauge strings to standard tuned light gauge strings?

I'm doing both guitar and bass
Verbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #3849
CameronRose

Hi guys, building up a PRS style copy over the next few months. I have a question regarding the bridge: there are no pre drilled holes for a bridge on the body I have, should I drill the holes for the bridge and set the neck before or after I clear coat the body and back of the neck?
CameronRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #3850
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Helicopters: you'll probably have to look at car paint suppliers. I don't have any experience in that area though.

Verbal: It's not a bad idea. The neck will settle eventually no matter what, though.

CameronRose: Do all the drilling and tooling before you paint the guitar. Then, if needed, you can clean out any paint in the body holes. This way you can do all your layout markings on the bare wood and erase them when you are done and not have to worry about messing up the finish.

Another forced hiatus...
Old 07-27-2014, 04:32 AM   #3851
CameronRose

Invader Jim - thankyou for your reply, in that case I assume that it would be a wise move to set the neck first of all and then tape it off when I paint the guitar?
Old 07-27-2014, 07:44 PM   #3852
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

If the neck is to be glued in (not a bolt-on) then yes, you glue it up and then paint the guitar. That way the finish will cover the neck joint and it will look like one piece of wood. If you paint the two separately then you'll have a very visible seam where theywere and it won't look right.

Another forced hiatus...
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 AM   #3853
CameronRose

Thankyou, seems obvious now!
Old 08-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #3854
1funnyguy99

Hi! I'm building a bass. Out of OSB. Dont ask why, or how mentally stable I am. The piece I have isn't thick enough for a body, but DOUBLED, it is. Is it wrong to attach (Screw? Glue?) two of the same body shapes together? Like a two-layered cake? I'm not too worried about tone, but I need enough room to slap some pickups on there as well.
1funnyguy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 09:25 PM   #3855
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Since you're making it from OSB you might as well do whatever you have to...

Another forced hiatus...
Old 08-07-2014, 10:46 AM   #3856
BjarnedeGraaf
UG's Fatty McFat

I want to try and give my bass guitar (a black fender rip off) the kind of stripes that Mikey Way's bass has (not exactly the same but the same style)

Mikey Way's bass:

I want to accomplish this by simply using white tape, and then cut it.
Can I do this without having to worry about damaging it if I ever want to take the tape off again?

My bass:
show

My beginner rig:

Epiphone Goth G-400
Line 6 Spider IV (Don't judge me, I was young and stupid)
Stagg SW203N
BjarnedeGraaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #3857
B13th

Hy guys,

I need a 3way toggle switch made out of brass and i don't mean the tip of the switch.
I have a project going on where i replace all parts of my guitar with selfmade brass parts.
The headplate, headbriede, pick up frames and the knobs are already finished the trem is in process. So the switch is the last part to replace
B13th is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: