Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
GUITAROWORLD

Wiring schematic review

Hello all, been researching this for a bit and think i've got it 98% there. I picked up a guitar at a pawn shop, stripped it clean and am putting in all new electronics. I picked up two 4-wire seymour duncan 59s and there are 3 pot holes and a 5-way switch hole. I'm trying to make the neck pickup split so I can run an acoustic simulator on the single coil. The pots i was thinking a tone for each PU and a overall volume. I've attached where I'm at so far, though the picture restrictions on here are horrible and don't let you see much in terms of pixels. There is a .047 resistor at each tone pot. I'm thinking I've got the switching wrong somehow, and I don't know where to attach the ground. Any help is appreciated!!

5-way switch selections: 1) Neck 2) Neck/Bridge 3) Bridge 4) Bridge/Neck Split 5) Neck Split
Attached Images

GUITAROWORLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
GUITAROWORLD

bump.....nobody knows about wiring a 5-way switch?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
james4

it's super hard to see whats going on because of the picture size, so upload a better quality one to a site like photobucket, then you'll be good to post a proper sized picture

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
james4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Yeah, pic sucks.

But I can only see one problem, the volume pot 3rd lug needs to be grounded.

Also, it appears that the south coil on the neck is the active coil when it's split. Is that what you wanted?

And, you could make position 2 into "Neck split+Bridge split" if you want to. Just attach the bridge red and white wires to the other side of the switch, position 1 lug, and then ground the common lug. That should also cancel out the hum since you'd have the south coil on the neck with the north coil on the bridge.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #5
GUITAROWORLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4RP1G
Yeah, pic sucks.

But I can only see one problem, the volume pot 3rd lug needs to be grounded.

Also, it appears that the south coil on the neck is the active coil when it's split. Is that what you wanted?

Ah ha, thanks, that is definately a problem. I'll be adding that in there.

As for the coil split, what's the fundamental difference between the south & north coils? Is there a sonic difference? How would you change it since both red & white are soldered to the same lug?

Not caring to much for splitting both pickups. I only want to split the neck for an acoustic simulator pedal. Otherwise I play in a style that humbuckers are at home in...
Old 10-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITAROWORLD
Ah ha, thanks, that is definately a problem. I'll be adding that in there.

As for the coil split, what's the fundamental difference between the south & north coils? Is there a sonic difference? How would you change it since both red & white are soldered to the same lug?

Not caring to much for splitting both pickups. I only want to split the neck for an acoustic simulator pedal. Otherwise I play in a style that humbuckers are at home in...

The difference between the coils will the position, the polarity and wind direction, and(if you have this type of pickup) the pole pieces.

AS far as the polarity and wind direction is concerned, it only really matter when used with another coil. If one coil is reverse wound/reverse polarity, it cancels the hum. If you choose to wire it how I suggested(in relation to the bridge pickup), then it should be hum cancelling. But I could be wrong
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #7
GUITAROWORLD

Thanks for your help on this. Last night I made the plung and plugged in the soldering iron and a little while later I was overjoyed to find out I did it all right! It all works, how I wanted, and without any buzzing/humming. Thanks again!

Rate This Thread: