Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
eric_wearing
KillerOfIdiocracy

another guitarist invades the drum area.

So, I'm a guitarist in training, musician by birth. I'm sure you guys get this a lot (I looked up and I'm only half right haha), but I was wondering the thought process of the drummers when they get the chance to write their tracks into a song.

Basically, drum theory...
>I know that there's percussion theory and sheets but the drumset is still baby stages of that right?

What exactly makes hitting a snare at a certain point the preferable option over hitting a china at a particular point in a song? I just want to be able to understand drums and drummers more. I mean there's something more than just hitting stuff and playing time keeper, especially when there's people like Pert, Rich, and Portnoy out there. Where can I find some info on this?

Teach me oh great ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBKGUITAR
To be a good lead guitar you must be VERY GOOD AT RYTHM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggaraMarine
My motto: Play what the song needs you to play!
eric_wearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
aviator42009

Drumming is alot about instinct and creating the feel for the song you want. There are 1000's of different ways to structure a beat and different piece to play it on. Listen to some of your favorite songs, analyze the drummer's playing and ask WHY. What kind of feel does play a beat like that create? Does it leave space for the other instruments, does it make things sound faster? bigger? Is he/she playing on rhythm with the guitars, or are they adding a different dyamic?
aviator42009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #3
xgispert
The Boss

For me, I just play what sounds good. I think of it like a game of chess. I think about my next moves before they come.
xgispert is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: