Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-27-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
PaulJMcGrath

Jackson soloist v. Dinky

So i woke up this morning and i thought to myself, "whats the difference between the jackson dinky model and the soloist model?"

So can anyone tell me the difference.

Are they different sizes?

stuff like that.
PaulJMcGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
odensson95
Son Of Odin

Which soloist and which dinky?
If you're talking about high end models, all the Dinky models are bolt-on but Soloists like SL1 are neck thru.
I'm not really familiar with Jacksons..
Old 10-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Outside of build quality, the Dinky is a smaller body. The Dinky is also a bolt-on whereas the Soloist is neck-thru.

The Dinky is mostly for metalcore kids and the Soloist is mostly for actual guitar players.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

The Dinky's body is 7/8th's the size of a Soloist's and is a bolt-on, while a Soloist is always a neck-thru. Apart from those differences, they're fundamentally the same guitars in terms of their basic design. Quality-wise, they're supposedly the same, depending on what series it is from.

One thing worth noting is that the Pro Series Dinky's made today are made in Mexico, while the equivalent Pro Series Soloists are made in Indonesia. The older Pro Series Dinky's and Soloists are all made in Japan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster
The Dinky is mostly for metalcore kids and the Soloist is mostly for actual guitar players.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-27-2013 at 11:51 AM.
T00DEEPBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
odensson95
Son Of Odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRooster

Old 10-28-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
JudasPriest7778

I have Jackson dinky dk2 sustainic and that guitar is amazing.Made in Japan,24 frets,Seymour Duncan's etc.Beautiful guitar!!!

Yeah the only diffidence I would say is that the dinkys have bolt ons and soloists are neck through.
JudasPriest7778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:59 PM   #7
PaulJMcGrath

thanks, im leaning towards the soloist as i see many of those scene kid/post hardcore bands use the dinky
PaulJMcGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
OliveG

I had a Dinky, it was pretty nice, the neck was really, really comfortable and overall it felt very well built to me. But, the sustain was ** terrible **. The sound fizzled out in a very non-musical way, I'm not sure why, but I eventually got fed up and got rid of it, and am very happy with the replacement (LTD EC401 - on the advice of someone here).
OliveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliveG
I had a Dinky, it was pretty nice, the neck was really, really comfortable and overall it felt very well built to me. But, the sustain was ** terrible **. The sound fizzled out in a very non-musical way, I'm not sure why, but I eventually got fed up and got rid of it, and am very happy with the replacement (LTD EC401 - on the advice of someone here).

By the way you described it as 'fizzled', the action was probably way too low. You pretty much sold a great guitar because you didn't know how to set it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulJMcGrath
thanks, im leaning towards the soloist as i see many of those scene kid/post hardcore bands use the dinky

That was actually a joke.

FYI Adrian Smith from Iron Maiden's sig guitar is essentially a Jackson Dinky. But regardless of that, you should buy guitars because they're good guitars, not because scene kids don't play them. As you can probably tell from what I've been posting, I'd prefer the Dinky hands down if I couldn't afford anything more than an X-Series, which is likely the case if you're a beginner.

Depending on what your budget is and what series you're considering of getting, the Dinky will have what is conscientiously a better wood for the body for the X-Series guitars. The Dinky has Alder, the Soloist has Basswood. Now I'm not saying that Basswood is a bad material to make a guitar from, but low quality basswood is very poor and very cheap. And given that these are essentially cheap Jacksons, and in the Soloist's case, a cheap Jackson where the majority of the guitar is spent on getting a guitar that's neck-through, it could well be the case that you're getting a guitar with worse body wood. I am speculating here, but the fact that Dinky gets Alder as opposed to the Soloist is telling me that a compromise has been made to make the Soloist a neck-through. (although this does depend on what series of Jackson you're considering of buying)

Another thing to consider that is actually objective fact is that if you damage the neck on the Dinky beyond repair, you can simply replace it. WIth a Soloist, the guitar goes in the bin.

And again, again. The Soloists in the X-Series and Pro Series are made in Indonesia (and some report that some of them are being made in India). The Dinky's are made in Mexico in the same plant where the MIM Strats are made. That is more food for thought.

It just seems to me that the Dinky is a safer bet if you don't have $1000 to spend.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 10-30-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #10
OliveG

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
By the way you described it as 'fizzled', the action was probably way too low. You pretty much sold a great guitar because you didn't know how to set it up.

I think you're confusing 'buzzing' and 'fizzled'. It's a possibility but I'd be really surprised if that was why. For one I've played several guitars which had the action set way lower than that Jackson, including an Ibanez Artfield and a Vigier, and none of them had that issue. Mine was setup pretty standard by a guitar tech, meaning not especially low (I'm not a fan of that anyway). The same person setup my LTD recently and I don't have that problem at all...

That being said I might have made the problem sound worse than it was. It's not like it went buzzing like crazy at every note. I had no buzzing issues whatsoever actually. I just wasn't crazy about the way the notes trailed, let's put it like this, it wasn't very smooth. Maybe 'terrible' was a little harsh. It just wasn't as musical as I would have liked... maybe someone else would have had no problem with it...

As for you saying I didn't know how to set it up, well... like you'd know...
OliveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:49 AM   #11
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

It just seems terribly strange that a guitar would make the sound you're describing. I've played about 20 different Jackson Dinky's (mostly the old MIJ's) and it was never an issue with any of them.

(・ω・`)
Old 10-31-2013, 03:00 PM   #12
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
The Dinky's body is 7/8th's the size of a Soloist's and is a bolt-on, while a Soloist is always a neck-thru. Apart from those differences, they're fundamentally the same guitars in terms of their basic design. Quality-wise, they're supposedly the same, depending on what series it is from.

One thing worth noting is that the Pro Series Dinky's made today are made in Mexico, while the equivalent Pro Series Soloists are made in Indonesia. The older Pro Series Dinky's and Soloists are all made in Japan.

They're exactly the same size and shape bodywise. Both are 7/8ths the size of a standard strat.

The only difference is bolt-on Dinky vs neck through Soloist.
Confuse-a-Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
-Ed-
The Thing Upstairs....

I've not played a soloist but own a jap dinky that's about 3 years old now. Lovely guitar for the money. I blocked the Fr on it, not because of an issue but because I don't use a trem.
I also have an ec1000, again a good guitar, quite like the neck profile but I'm selling the ec1000 and keeping the dk2
I do like the US soloist but they're silly money here.
-Ed- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
LP_CL
Gimme a beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse-a-Cat
They're exactly the same size and shape bodywise. Both are 7/8ths the size of a standard strat.

Exactly.
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl

Band:www.citizinsane.be
LP_CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #15
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:

I guess I was told something different from a guy who actually worked for my guitar store.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 11-01-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #16
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Quote:

I guess I was always told otherwise, but considering this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...electric-guitar

They used the same molded case, you're probably right.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

The wiki page on Jackson also confirms it.

Quote:
Soloist: A neck-through body superstrat with a body 7/8 the size of a stratocaster.
Dinky: A bolt-on superstrat, 7/8 the size of a strat.

(・ω・`)

Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE : 11-01-2013 at 12:26 PM.

Rate This Thread: