Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-16-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Deadagainagain

New Pickups for my guitar

Hi, I have a Schecter Damien-6, and considering upgrading its pickups. It has a basswood body and EMG-hz humbuckers. The distortion seems alright, but the overall tone seems muddy. My favorite bands are Trivium, Killswitch Enagage, and In Flames. I am looking for something that can offer good distortion and can also do sparkling cleans. Also, maybe have something that is good for pinch harmonics if that's something that pickups affect.

A friend of mine told me to get the John Petrucci pickups(liquifire+crunchlab). I was also looking at the Dimarzio Dominion, which I personally think fits what I am looking at. I play through a Roland Microcube if that helps. So any advice for this noob?
Deadagainagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:35 AM   #2
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

Honestly? I'd not bother. Good pick ups and a low level practice amp is still going to sound relatively dull, muddy and lifeless. Save your cash dude, throw it a better amp.

Keep your hopes up high...

...and your head down low!

Gear
1996 Deluxe Anniversary Tele
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Egnater Renegade + Harley Benton 212
telemetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:21 AM   #3
Deadagainagain

Now that we're talking about amps. Are solid state modeling amps in general all considered "low level practice amps"? I had thoughts of getting either a peavy vyper or fender mustang as a more serious amp. Or would a better option be a tube such as a Blackstar HT-1? I really like the demos on that.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:25 AM   #4
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

I like Vypyrs, but that's basically a step sideways, not a step up, unless you could pick up something like a used Tube 60 model. HT-1's are okay, but I'd personally consider it a downgrade, lots of SS stuff hiding in that, so it's not really all tube.

What sort of budget can you stretch to or work for if it came down to a new amp?

Gear
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Old 11-16-2012, 03:33 AM   #5
Deadagainagain

I am giving myself a budget of $200, but wouldn't mind spending more if it went towards something that will improve my playing. I guess instead of that money going to pickups, maybe a good amp would be a better investment.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:38 AM   #6
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

In this case, I'd suggest an amp man. With that sort of budget however, I'd also suggest waiting a little. If you want good cleans and good dirty tones on a budget, the only thing I'll ever recommend is the Vypyr Tube 60 like I said above. Saving up a bit and keeping an eye out for a used one would be your best bet I think.

Gear
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #7
Deadagainagain

Thanks that's great advice. Definitely going to hold off on buying those pickups then.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
telemetal
Moosey McSmirnoffhead

No worries man Glad to help. Hope the search goes well.

Gear
2002 American Std Tele
Pedals
Old 11-16-2012, 03:51 AM   #9
Zoomyrs1

The Vox Valvetronics sound alright. They aren't great I have a AD60VT basically use as an effects pedal, pre-amp out into my half stack's guitar input input.

Goes from crystal clear to wrath of god. There is a hint of annoying delay between patch settings but it gets the job done. With a 1x12 Celestion the AD60 doesn't sound horrible on its own either, even has variable power 60w 30w 15w and 1w so you can always wake up the tube in the post stage.
Zoomyrs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
JAHellraiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadagainagain
I am giving myself a budget of $200, but wouldn't mind spending more if it went towards something that will improve my playing. I guess instead of that money going to pickups, maybe a good amp would be a better investment.

Well nothing is going to directly improve your playing. BUT! A good amp with the tone you like will make you play more often, thus improving your playing.
JAHellraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: