Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #61
neddomac

There's a lot of palm muting the low string in master of puppets. I'm confused as to whether or not i'm supposed to just try and find a way to only palm mute the top string and leave my palm there until I need to play a non palm muted part on the low string. Or should I completely stop palm muting when I have to play non palm muted parts on the higher strings? Even if it's just one note and then I go back to playing palm muted notes on the low string.

I'm just asking because I want to make my technique right the first time.
neddomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #62
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neddomac
There's a lot of palm muting the low string in master of puppets. I'm confused as to whether or not i'm supposed to just try and find a way to only palm mute the top string and leave my palm there until I need to play a non palm muted part on the low string. Or should I completely stop palm muting when I have to play non palm muted parts on the higher strings? Even if it's just one note and then I go back to playing palm muted notes on the low string.

I'm just asking because I want to make my technique right the first time.

For MoP you'll want to release the mute as a lot of the things you need to do are also on the low E string. There are other songs you can get away with just carefully muting the low E only but MoP isn't one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #63
Sy_B
The Essence of Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
For MoP you'll want to release the mute as a lot of the things you need to do are also on the low E string. There are other songs you can get away with just carefully muting the low E only but MoP isn't one of them.

I'm sorry I didn't understand any of that question....

You go back and forth between the E string. I figure everything on the E string is PMed.
Sy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:33 PM   #64
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy_B
I'm sorry I didn't understand any of that question....

You go back and forth between the E string. I figure everything on the E string is PMed.

Not really, most of what's on the low E is muted but with things like the chords in the main riff you need to release the mute on both the E and A strings. You should be able to easily tell when you need to release the mute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:45 PM   #65
ThrashMetal014

Thumbs up

Quote:
I remember reading something along the lines of Master of Puppets is easy, it's a song every guitarist should have in their arsenal, or something.

So, is Master of Puppets considered an easy song? I'm trying it out because I've never really played anything heavy before.

That song is not considered easy, and you probably will have trouble if you are just beginning. I am an Intermediate guitarist, and it took me a few days to get it right.
Fender CD-60 Acoustic
Washburn XB-100 4 string
Peavey Millenium AC BXP
Fender Rumble 150
Crate BV60H Head
Crate BV412 Cab
Vox AD15VT
ThrashMetal014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:16 AM   #66
finetune

You have to 'bounce' your right palm up and down on the bridge to get the non-muted A-string notes. You might be able to do it some other way, but this is the way I do it.

You can see it pretty clearly on the KH youtube riffs video:

Peavey Triumph 60
MXR-108.
and that's it. done buying stuff. probably.
finetune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #67
neddomac

Hey guys thanks for the help. I kind of realised today that you can easily jump your palm up and down and still play fast. But because earlier I hadn't really ever done serious palm muting I was thinking it might destroy my picking but it's working.

My brains still trying to grasp the part where you go 0-0-7^0-0-6^0-0-5^0-4^0-3^0-2-1 and you have to mute all the 0s but leave the rest (^ means pull off).

I didn't really appreciate this song until I started playing it but now I like it a lot.

And no this song isn't easy. Wonderwall is an example of an easy song.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 AM   #68
Sy_B
The Essence of Is

*whistles in shock*

That's not on my tab neddomac. I'm following the one with over a thousand votes saying it's 5 stars and it doesn't say you have to pulloff those.
Sy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:46 AM   #69
neddomac

Quote:
*whistles in shock*

That's not on my tab neddomac. I'm following the one with over a thousand votes saying it's 5 stars and it doesn't say you have to pulloff those.

Well i'm using the highest rated guitar pro version 12 and I guess they probably sound similar. I'll still copy the guitar pro one though because you KNOW it sounds correct when you can listen to it play. But yeah, muting pull-offs fast is really confusing.
Old 01-26-2011, 05:48 AM   #70
birdycofir

If it was easy, everyone would be able to play it. It's just that there are alot of harder things in guitar.
birdycofir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #71
FlammenMeer

Hi dudes!
I am a bass player, got an e-guitar and started playing about 3 months ago. Now I'm improving MoP and I'll tell you what - it isn't a hard song to learn in terms of riffs, as those are quite easy, fun and addictive (for me). As in terms of speed and technique, at 208 bpm all downpicking, palm crazy mute bouncing! play it at least one loop flawless... LOL! I dare you! all of you badasses who claim it's easy! No alternates, no hammerons no cheating no nothing but 208bpm and downpicking. You'd need to tie your balls into a knot to do that. Even Hetfield when jamming it, looks like he's gonna deliver a baby.
Bottom line:
Easy for those whom mommy told they are good guitar players.
Hard for those who want to play it right!
FlammenMeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:27 PM   #72
My Last Words
Billions and billions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlammenMeer
Hi dudes!
I am a bass player, got an e-guitar and started playing about 3 months ago. Now I'm improving MoP and I'll tell you what - it isn't a hard song to learn in terms of riffs, as those are quite easy, fun and addictive (for me). As in terms of speed and technique, at 208 bpm all downpicking, palm crazy mute bouncing! play it at least one loop flawless... LOL! I dare you! all of you badasses who claim it's easy! No alternates, no hammerons no cheating no nothing but 208bpm and downpicking. You'd need to tie your balls into a knot to do that. Even Hetfield when jamming it, looks like he's gonna deliver a baby.
Bottom line:
Easy for those whom mommy told they are good guitar players.
Hard for those who want to play it right!

Congratulations, this thread is two years old.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 AM   #73
FlammenMeer

so? does it mean I can't write anything on it?
it still popps up on google search and I bett there are players our there (not form this wonderfull forum) who are yet curios about MoP complexity.
FlammenMeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #74
losing battle
UG's Trollestia

Successful troll is successful. Anyway the difficulty of playing a song is relitive if its hard keep practicing if you feel you can't do it well try something easier. We can close the thread now.
@everything lb has ever said

Wtf is wrong with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolmnt
everypony calm down!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladez22
numa, if I grow boobs and cat ears in the night, I'll let you know
losing battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:56 AM   #75
vayne92
UG's Fedora Enthusiast

10/10 would read the revived 2 year old thread again
American Standard Tele 2012
Yamaha APX450
~~~
Line 6 POD HD500
Orange Dark terror
Orange PPC112
vayne92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #76
harmony_melody_

It isn't a case of what's considered hard or easy. It depends on your technique, and where it's at. , not about other people's considerations about the song, since they all have are at a different place in their own technique. For someone with a good technique, there's nothing difficult about that song, for someone who hasn't yet developed a solid technique, it's a different story. My post here will probably help, it's really the same problem:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1602679

Last edited by harmony_melody_ : 05-22-2013 at 03:38 PM.
harmony_melody_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:47 AM   #77
steven seagull
not really a seagull

y u do this, Y???

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
steven seagull is online now   Reply With Quote
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread: