Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Closed Thread
Old 11-03-2012, 04:08 PM   #1
nileflows

how to get this distortion ?!

in this link http://www.brothergrimm.net/download...ramourSessions[Explicit]-Forever.mp3 at 1.00 the distortion kicks in very smoothly .. how can i get this type of sound where it gels perfectly.

when i do this sort of thing the distortion kicks in very abruptly whereas i want to it to be really gentle .. like how Alterbridge and other bands do. please help !
nileflows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Link doesn't work
Old 11-03-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
nileflows

okay its a song by paparoach forever.
Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

So you want the distortion to come in gradually? You mean starting clean then gradually getting heavier?

Unsure if this is what you mean as the link doesn't work, but so long as you have a decent distortion pedal (or a decent amp if you use it's natural distortion) you should be able to control it using your guitar's volume knob.

Strum the chord with the volume on about 2ish & it will be pretty clean. Then let the note ring as you turn the volume up & the distortion will kick in as you increase the volume.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #5
nileflows

im sure gonna try that and see the results.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:39 PM   #6
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Let us know how you get on. It does depend on the distortion you're using - I know with my old multifx unit it didn't work, but since I switched to a pedal board it works fine. Also works fine with my amp's distortion.

I'm guessing it's a digital/analogue thing, but don't know for sure.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 11-05-2012, 03:21 PM   #7
nileflows

hey Gary, I tried it but still the clean to distortion transition isnt that smooth what im looking for. for example: listen to Forever by Paparoach. the songs starts very clean then at some point it goes to distortion but the transition is smooth. im really tryin to get that.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

OK, just listened to that song & I think I misunderstood what you were talking about - when you said you wanted it to come in smoothly rather than abruptly I assumed you meant a gradual build up from clean to distorted (as you'd get using the technique I mentioned depending on your kit).

That's not what I'm hearing in that song. They just switch from one sound to another, just like you can by stomping on a pedal. If that's too abrupt for what you're after, then I'm not sure what you're asking about.

Can you think of any other examples of this smooth transition to distortion that you're looking for?

Also, what kit are you using to get your distortion? Some multifx units experience a slight lag when switching between patches. If that's the problem you're experiencing, then the only answer is new kit.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 11-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #9
nileflows

im using Pod HD300 and Ableton Live as DAW. thats pretty much it and at times Guitar Rig 5 or Amplitube.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #10
nileflows

and yea another example could be Wonderful Life by Alterbridge. i want to do what they are doing at 1:57 in the song. its a very common thing i know. is it mostly about eq ?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:29 PM   #11
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

Again, I'm not hearing a gradual change from clean to distortion.

However, there's one guitar playing the clean part, and another guitar comes in with the distortion & plays a sliding note before hitting the main chord. It's not an effect, it's more of a technique - and as there's two guitars involved you'll struggle to recreate it on your own.

Record the clean part on one track, then record the distorted part on another track. On the last note of the bar before, play a quick slide down the fretboard then hit the first distorted chord.
Jet City JCA22H
Old 11-11-2012, 12:47 PM   #12
nileflows

okay, lets put this in a simpler way. how do alternative rock bands really record the distorted guitars? they are meshed really well and sounds roomy. i know they do multiple overdubs and reverbs and slight delay and all but still i am not able to nail this thing down.

is there anyone here who has recorded something like that so that i can ask for help ?
Old 11-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

This thread has gone on long enough and because of the vague nature is no closer to getting an answer. If you want to continue asking about this, do so in the Chat Thread and people will be happy to discuss recording techniques.

Rate This Thread: