Password
Search:

Old 05-30-2013, 12:55 PM   #101
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidjoey
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...c027_story.html
Now I know not everybody in law enforcement does but it seems to happen alot like the above article an officer attempts to taze or mace someone and then when they don't immediately surrender they start unloading their clips in a shoot to kill fashion rather then aiming for the legs/arms with the weapon to disable the threat.

I don't really have anything to add other than that "shooting to wound" isn't a thing.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:22 AM   #102
stonyman65
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by uziyourillusion
There's a video demonstrating how quickly a person can close in and land a lethal blow with a knife. Its a lot quicker than you could ever draw your gun if they are within 6 feet or so. Probably not relevant to this situation but a knife has to be taken extremely serious.

There have been stats going around for a while that says it takes 1.5 seconds to close 21 feet/7 yards.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tueller_Drill
http://www.theppsc.org/Staff_Views/...r/How.Close.htm

So, by the time I typed this, they could have killed me like 30 times over by now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.

Last edited by stonyman65 : 05-31-2013 at 02:25 AM.
stonyman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:22 AM   #103
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadClownDisease
It's good to see people here being reasonable.

I usually get the impression a lot of members of UG are quite anti-police, so it's nice to see people being fair.

I am quite suspicious of police and tend to assume they aren't my friends. I am hardly pro-police and have heard many an unjustified use of force story. But I understand that their job is goddam hard. While I hate the blue code of silence, I understand that their line of work tends to breed that kind of mentality. That said, I really don't like it when people make baseless assumptions about the nature of their work, and the "shoot to maim" thing is one aspect of that.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity."

MUSIC THEORY LINK

SteamID: CarrionComfort
rockingamer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #104
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androidjoey
Now I know not everybody in law enforcement does but it seems to happen alot like the above article an officer attempts to taze or mace someone and then when they don't immediately surrender they start unloading their clips in a shoot to kill fashion rather then aiming for the legs/arms with the weapon to disable the threat.

Um...they always aim to neutralize the threat.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #105
i_lovemetallica
My username is not true

It's interesting all the people saying that the police should aim for the legs/arms.....

If any of you have actually fired a gun, you'd notice that it's pretty hard to be a marksman unless you get time to set the shot up, which in most cases, the police don't, so aiming for the arms and legs is a waste of bullets, and a waste of precious time that could mean the difference between a dead/injured offender or dead/injured police or members of the public.
I was raised on Winnie the Pooh. There's multiple vhs tapes somewhere in the world where I appear totally nude wearing only honey yellow bear ears and a red T-shirt singing the theme song to that show
i_lovemetallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #106
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

^I believe it's mostly OP and one other guy saying that.
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:36 PM   #107
Bilbo Swaggins

The po are ruthless. It's best to avoid them at all times. Also, never trust a word that comes out of their mouth. They have no qualms lying to you if it benefits them.
Old 05-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #108
Skynyrd890
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo Swaggins
The po are ruthless. It's best to avoid them at all times. Also, never trust a word that comes out of their mouth. They have no qualms lying to you if it benefits them.

Then don't break the law, and learn your rights so you don't have to interact with them or trust their word....
Skynyrd890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM   #109
amonamarthmetal

Here comes a woman rushing towards me with a knife, I think I will just stand there and let here stab me.

This is why they use guns OP. You're a ****ing ******.
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
amonamarthmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:12 PM   #110
Greenie_777
UG Newbie

You don't aim for arms or legs because that wont necessarily stop someone. There have been cases of people being shot in the heart and running for an extra minute or so. You aim for the centre mass as you have the most chance of putting someone down and stopping them endangering anyone else.
Old 05-31-2013, 04:14 PM   #111
CoreysMonster
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by amonamarthmetal
Here comes a woman rushing towards me with a knife, I think I will just stand there and let here stab me.

This is why they use guns OP. You're a ****ing ******.

Your choice of words for some reason made me laugh out loud
CoreysMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #112
SomeEvilDude
Government Conspiracy

From the British perspective, and this coming from a lot of training with firearms and law enforcement, said police officer in the original article was 100% in the right. Even by the rules of engagement that the British Army use, those actions were completely correct.

Regards the Woolwich incident, the men were not killed because it was reported as, and being treated as a terrorist related incident, which is why both individuals were remanded in order to interrogate them so as to ascertain information on the bigger picture.

The few people in here arguing the point, please get a clue and don't prattle on about shit you know nothing about.

Help a good cause.

Heroes never die: they just reload.
SomeEvilDude is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: