Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-27-2013, 06:35 PM   #1
guitarmageddon0

Midi's and effects for 6505+

So i'm getting a peavy 6505+ soon, and I was wondering about how I should set up a midi pedal to allow me to switch from a distorted rhythm channel to a clean channel with reverb or a lead channel with delay.

Is there an affordable midi pedal with the effects built in that would allow me to do that?
guitarmageddon0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #2
Offworld92
One among the fence.

Is it the 112 combo or the head?

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
guitarmageddon0

the head
guitarmageddon0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #4
Offworld92
One among the fence.

That'll make things complicated, unfortunately.

The simplest feasible solution is to make a custom 7 Pin Din - TRS cable and connect to a Boss GT-10. That's what I've done with my JSX.

However, I don't know exactly how the + is set up, and it may not work. Mine doesn't work, so I don't use it anymore - but I don't know exactly what the problem is. I've been meaning to try to redo it, just haven't gotten around to it.

That option aside, you're going to need a "translator" in between your MFX unit and your amp. The best unit I know of for this is the RJM Mini Amp Gizmo. It's a little pricey, but one upside is that it is true programmable MIDI, which means you can use any MFX with it, and not be limited to the Boss GT8/10/100 (which can only operate amps with simple 1/4" jacks).

If you're not dead set on the +, and your budget is very limited, I highly recommend getting the regular 6505 head. It has a regular 1/4" jack, which means any of the aforementioned Boss units will be able to control it. I'm trying to trade my JSX for one for this exact reason.

Shared EQ is a downside, but it doesn't matter that much - the GT can EQ your amp to hell and back without breaking a sweat. You can run up to 3 separate EQs at the same time on it. Just something to consider if budget is an issue.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #5
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

If you want to control amp channel switching with your effects the most affordable option without getting into rack gear is going to be a boss gt-10 probably. You can wire up a custom cable to control the channel switching and effects and switch with one button press.

I like my RP1000 because I just use a simulated preamp for my clean tones and use the lead channel of my 6505+ for everything else. It doesn't have amp channel switching or midi though. But I can switch from clean to distortion or distortion with effects with 1 button press.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: