Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-21-2013, 03:41 AM   #1
ixshadowz

tips for witing lyrics(metal)

my friend is my band has been writing songs and wants me to also write some cause it would save a lot of time and then we will have more lyrics for new songs, but i cant think of any ideas or anything for a metal song so if i could have some maybe have some good tips it'd be very helpful

Last edited by ixshadowz : 06-21-2013 at 03:43 AM.
ixshadowz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:08 AM   #2
TehDutchDude
I'm really Dutch.

Write about something you care about. That can be anything. Corruption, Greek mythology, your ex-girlfriend or vikings. Avoid clichés. They are absolutely useless, since everyone has heard them 50,000 times already. Think about the effects of rhyme: in a chorus, rhyme can be nice, but in general, metal songs do well without rhyme. I use a... pfff, what do you call them in English... like a synonym dictionary to find words I know passively but cannot use actively.

I can give you an example of my own: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1606395

That song is supposed to be like a power ballad, which isn't all that heavy, but there's still electric guitars, distortion and a break and such. The song itself is about something very 'mellow': while we will all die, we'll live on in the memories of others. There is some rhyme, but there are plenty of parts that do not rhyme at all. The chorus has to be catchy, no matter the genre, so I put in some more rhyme there. I also tried to have it all make sense rhythmically. If the sentences flow, your song will flow. Hope that helps.

Last edited by TehDutchDude : 06-21-2013 at 04:13 AM.
TehDutchDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 04:09 PM   #3
AngryGoldfish
do I "urk" you?

Please use the Techniques sub-forum for queries such as this from now on. Thanks.

*moved*
AngryGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:33 PM   #4
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

Metal, as a whole, isn't geared towards lyrics. Some metal groups have great lyrics (Be'lakor and Cormorant, for example), but it's not essential, compared to having memorable music. Unless you're singing cleans with really clear enunciation, vocals tend to be just another instrument. Don't let it worry you too much; just imitate your favorite bands.

If you're dead set on doing the best job you can, and you're 100% sure that good lyrics are worth your effort more than more important things (promotion, cohesive songwriting, musicianship), then focus on recognizing, then avoiding, then manipulating clichés. To do that, listen to your favorite bands with a critical mind. You might notice, say, they rhyme "changing" with "re-arranging", or have one too many songs with "fire" or "eyes". And although you never thought much about it before, you guess it's kind of cheesy, now that you think of it.

Then, once you've mastered that, look for bands whose lyrics really connect to you, and aren't too clichéd to lose all their impact, then study them for imagery, rhythm, rhyme, and other things.

And this is a personal thing; if one syllable works, don't look for a five-syllable synonym.

Rate This Thread: