Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-20-2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Sempermore

Can anyone learn how to sing?

Hi!

So... Can anyone learn how to sing? Can anyone learn how to sing whatever style they like, may it be grunge or opera. Can all voices be trained into all styles?

The people answering these questions on the web all have something to gain from saying "Yes!" f.e money from DVDs or more subscribers. So I thought I'd like to hear what regular people had to say about it. Perhaps get an more honest answer.

Cheers!
Sempermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
j777p

I would say yes, but some people will take a lot longer than others, depends on the teacher and student, the DVDs and CDs can only help so much without someone telling you what you are doing wrong and what you can do to get better.
j777p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
LazyHardRocker

I was also wondering this, thanks for the answer. I'm 17, is it too late to start learning?
Old 03-20-2013, 07:02 PM   #4
squeezard

Yes, you can learn how to sing, unless you're mute. AS j777p said, some take longer than others. You can only find out how long it's gonna take you by actually doing it.

It is never too late, I would argue 17 is early.

As far as voice types go, some are more suited to some styles than others, but it's all in the eye of the beholder. Or, ear, rather.

Last edited by squeezard : 03-20-2013 at 07:04 PM.
squeezard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
supersac

yes you can 17 isnt too late itll be easier for other based on teacher natural ability and previous training that could help with singing but yes anyone can sing unless youre mute

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
HotspurJr

Yes, anyone can learn to sing. You can get to a point where you can carry a tune. You can get to a point where you have good articulation and ressonance.

How good can you get? It's hard to say. You can almost certainly expand your range ... some. You can make your voice more pleasing over all, some.

Can anybody learn to sing opera for the met? Probably not. But when I hear "bad singers" - the people embarassing themselves on American Idol or what have you - I hear people who are making tons of relatively-easy-to-fix fundamental mistakes, who would sound 100x better working with a teacher for a few months.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Duce180

This question always pops up. I think Hotspur hit the nail on the head. Most bad singers simply just get in the way of their own voice so to speak. Once you develop singing technique, and get rid of those blocks that are keeping your voice shut down, you'll be able to sing well. Its not easy for everyone, some people have to put more work in then others, but pretty much everyone can learn to sing.
Duce180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
crice6505
Cody

Unless you are mute, have a vocal disability, or are tone deaf (I have heard estimates that this ranges from 1/10 to 1/37 people), then yes. you can sing.

You can't sing like everyone though and you probably can't sing like who you want to sing like. Every artist is an individual and has a unique skill set. You have vocal limitations, but your limitations will define you. It is certainly your choice to make them define you for the better.

17 is a great age to start. Being almost fully developed in your vocal chords is excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Vampirate
What a faggot, do a few lines of cocaine and have a shot of whiskey or 5 if you want to study right
crice6505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #9
Sethis

^But that's why you train, to learn proper muscle coordination. And I've yet to hear an unfavorable tone.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
RevileN

Just my subjective opinion but I believe it's a combination of years of development and also genetic factors (natural talent).

Much like some people being amazing at sports while others sucking at them. Case in point, 2 people of a very similar body type, but one is simply a faster runner, hardly every pulls a muscle or gets a cramp, etc. while the other one has these disadvantages inherently despite both of them training hard.

It's not to say that the person who is at a disadvantage can't rise beyond their limitations and get better, because short of a health condition they could, but they'll never be as good as the one with the natural gift. The same it seems for music, singing, guitar, whatever. Also like the other guy said, some people just have what most would consider an "unfavorable" tone.
RevileN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #11
Sethis

When we see people being amazing at sports we usually see only the finished product. There's usually loads of work and dedication behind it. The people you're talking about with natural gifts are extremely rare, once in a million. Dio might have been one. Good singers are not that rare.

Ken Tamplin, a well known vocal coach, said this great phrase: "A singer is only a singer because he has the guts to be one ''

Last edited by Sethis : 04-12-2013 at 04:32 AM.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 06:33 AM   #12
RevileN

Sethis, you're correct about the dedication and practice, which is most of the battle so to speak, and that can be applied to almost (if not every) area of life.

However the people I'm talking about aren't "extremely rare" since I'm not talking about some unbelievably good soccer player who barely even practiced or only did a bit. I'm talking about loads of people who just have better natural coordination, muscle build, endurance, etc. for their sport compared to others.

Granted these things can be developed and even interest plays a large role but some people are just inherently better at it. Just like some people are naturally better at building muscle or shedding fat than others. Genetics, metabolism, etc. Some people are better at understanding mechanical concepts innately, some better at academic or intellectual ones.

There are quite a few good singers but if we're comparing "good" to say Dio or Steven Tyler in terms of range then there probably aren't a whole lot comparatively. However if we compare operatic singers then that's a whole other league entirely too.

I'm not trying to say that all my points are 100% correct no matter what since we're not talking about something scientifically proven or empirical but rather something quite subjective. The fact is man some people's voices just never project as loudly or clearly as others' and some just don't have the power of tune or sustain that others do. That's where "tone deaf" comes from.

Last edited by RevileN : 04-13-2013 at 06:35 AM.
RevileN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:44 AM   #13
LonelyCary

Hey it's true that everyone has something to gain somewhere OP. From what I've read they claim that anyone can however learn to sing. The voice is like a muscle that can be strengthen and improved over time and in theory anyone can learn to sing this way through voice exercises and learning the correct vocal techniques. I read a great article on how anyone can learn to sing at - singsource.com/can-anyone-learn-to-sing
LonelyCary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #14
moneyspills
Banned

The first is that singing effectively doesn't always mean singing louder. You may see this in amateurs, that they push their voice and raise the pitch thinking this is going to project the singing or make it sound better. The sound instead just becomes screechy and pitchy. When learning to effectively sing you need to sing from your entire body; the back muscles, the diaphragm, and the entire voice box are involved. Control is the key; you need to control your voice, the pitch, and the tone in order for it to sound better. This means not just singing "more" but controlling the vibrations that begin in the throat for a deeper, richer sound.

Here's a video to help you sing better:

Last edited by moneyspills : 07-15-2014 at 07:09 AM.
moneyspills is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: