Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #1
gui8tar

Amp recomendation?

I am looking for a new amp in the 300-400 dollar range. I do not mind the size as long as it can produce a multitude of tones. The amp i have right now a fender 25R its just not cutting it, I cant produce the tone I want so its hard to get into the music. I do not really care about effects, it just needs to have distortion, if it has more then grate.
Keep in mind that I will buy used, it does not have to be new. So 300-400 dollar prices range new and used. Im learning allot of different types of music so it needs to have a wide range.
gui8tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

peavey Vypyr tube 60
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
peavey Vypyr tube 60

+1

For $400, you can get it with the Sanpera II footpedal used if you shop around. I've seen them for that as a pair on Guitar Center Used a good bit lately. If not, you can definitely get it with the Sanpera I in your budget.
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:47 PM   #4
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

How loud does it need to be?

Without knowing that, used JCA20 combo.

Vox Night Train (you can find the 15W head and a decent cab used for under $400, or the 2w new if you want quiet and cranked).

A Blackstar HT-series wouldn't be bad at all if you don't mind that it's not all tube. New 1w or used 1-20w would be affordable.

Upright fretted electric bass build!

Last edited by Wisthekiller : 11-24-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisthekiller
How loud does it need to be?

Without knowing that, used JCA20 combo.

Vox Night Train (you can find the 15W head and a decent cab used for under $400, or the 2w new if you want quiet and cranked).

A Blackstar HT-series wouldn't be bad at all if you don't mind that it's not all tube. New 1w or used 1-20w would be affordable.

My only issue with all of those is that he wants something that can produce a multitude of tones. The Blackstar is definitely a one-trick pony, and I'm not sure the Nigh Train will give him "more distortion" than what he's getting now. The JCA might be an option, but I wouldn't consider it very versatile, especially compared to the Vypyr.

Edit: TS, if you can answer the questions found here:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1387138

we can give you a more specific response, but until then, you've mentioned wanting a multitude of tones, more distortion, and a budget of up to $400. I take those to mean versatility, and something that will sound heavier than the frontman. The Vypyr Tube 60 will give you all of that in your budget, plus you can easily play gigs with it amd jam with a drummer while keeping actual cleans.

Last edited by Blktiger0 : 11-24-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 PM   #6
Wisthekiller
UG's Nigel Tufnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
My only issue with all of those is that he wants something that can produce a multitude of tones. The Blackstar is definitely a one-trick pony, and I'm not sure the Nigh Train will give him "more distortion" than what he's getting now. The JCA might be an option, but I wouldn't consider it very versatile, especially compared to the Vypyr.

The Blackstar can do multiple sounds, I used to have the HT-1, it did everything but pristine cleans well (and that's only because it would break up due it being 1 watt).

The Night Train can do metal without any problems, especially if a TS is brought in.

The JCA is plenty versatile too.

They Vypyr is versatile, but TS said he doesn't need all the effects, just distortion, which the 3 amps I listed can do easily.

For versatile, if SS is okay, a Yamaha THR would be nice.

Upright fretted electric bass build!

Last edited by Wisthekiller : 11-24-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Wisthekiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

"I cant produce the tone I want so its hard to get into the music."

I know you do want a versatile amp, but what is the tone you want? From blues to modern rock to metal? Jazz to punk to classic rock? We really need a better idea of what sort of sounds you're going for before we can give you specific ideas.

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #8
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I've always found the smaller Blackstars to be pretty bland.

Fair enough, I've had little contact with the Night Train, mostly demos, which aren't ever geared to Metal with that amp.

The JCA isn't bad, but I would say in terms of versatility, the Vypyr is still going to beat it. It's a great amp, no doubt. I imagine he would be better off trying both, or just chiming in with the infromation in the link I posted.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #9
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarHeero

I know you do want a versatile amp, but what is the tone you want? From blues to modern rock to metal? Jazz to punk to classic rock? We really need a better idea of what sort of sounds you're going for before we can give you specific ideas.

+1
Old 11-24-2012, 06:03 PM   #10
gui8tar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeetarHeero

Every thing you just listed I want to be able to play fluently with a good sound. I understand that most amps are geared towards certain types of music but I just dont have the cash to buy a bunch of equipment. So for right now I need a amps thats strong in a large verity of music. From Spanish classical to Heavy metal. I love it all. Playing the same genera's gets really boring after a while. My favorite styles, blues, Funk, jazz, john petrucci style rock.

I forgot to add that it needs to be loud enough to play with a drum kit.
gui8tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:01 PM   #11
GeetarHeero
Philosophizer of Time

In that case a nice modeler is the way to go. Ideally a Kemper or Axe Fx but they are way out of budget. Someone above mentioned the Vypyr Tube 60 combo; I think that would be ideal for your needs and budget. It'll be loud enough to play with a drummer and will do all of those tones pretty well with a little tweaking. I would also check out a Peavey Ultra combo or Peavey XXX combo. Really versatile amps as well, maybe not as much as the Tube 60 though. While the Tube 60 is probably your best bet, those amps are definitely worth a look, too. JCA wouldn't be a bad choice, a few users here are fans of them. I'd avoid the HT series though, most people I know who bought one ended up returning it. I thought the 40 watt version I played was okay, but that's about it. Also, I don't think the Night Train would do well for what you need, particularly jazz cleans at drummer volume. The 40 watt version might, but you'd need a cab with it which would put you well over budget.

Some of the regulars have experience with these amps also, so I'm sure you'll get a few more opinions. Hope this helps.

Dean VMNTX (EMG set)
Peavey 6505+ 112
+ a buncha teh pedlulz
GeetarHeero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:40 PM   #12
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

i haven't contributed much to this thread but ^ is some excellent advice.

Rate This Thread: