Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-02-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
narinderkapur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
1. HSH is a great combination, and it's available on some Ibanez models (I only saw them on the mid-range models), but that's as far as my knowledge goes. (Although SSH exists and would get you there too, I suppose)

2. The tones that you're looking for depend on your amp as well. Surf music uses a lot of reverb, and vibrato, and models like the Jazzmaster are ideal, look out for it.

3. The tone that Jack White uses in the White Stripes is by using the bridge pickup (a humbucker) with fuzz through a clean setting (again, as far as I know, there are other ways to achieve the sound as well). Fender models would be good for that, but look at some of the Epiphones that are higher up in the price bracket, the budget ones suck.

4. Unfortunately, I won't be able to help you with Santana, so you'll have to forgive me for that.

Overall, look at the Fenders, maybe a Telecaster with Humbuckers, or PRS. That should get you closer to the tone you're looking for, but if you can, try for a combo too.
narinderkapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:07 AM   #22
jeffo46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
If you have $800.00 and want to update your gear in order to get the sounds that you want , I suggest that you get the following items ;

1. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat - It's a major upgrade from what you were using and is much better than Fender's MIM Standard Strat, and lower in price at only $379.99.

2. Digitech RP-70 Effects Processor- This will give you the effects that you can't get on the Roland Cube along with the different amp models as well.

3. Fender Frontman 212 R- At $325.00, this is one of the best deals going today. It has the classic Fender Blackface look along with the Fender sound and is rated at a very " LOUD ! " 100 watts and takes to effects like a fish to water.
jeffo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:12 AM   #23
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.
 
Fisheth24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Guess Where?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo46
If you have $800.00 and want to update your gear in order to get the sounds that you want , I suggest that you get the following items ;

1. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat - It's a major upgrade from what you were using and is much better than Fender's MIM Standard Strat, and lower in price at only $379.99.

2. Digitech RP-70 Effects Processor- This will give you the effects that you can't get on the Roland Cube along with the different amp models as well.

3. Fender Frontman 212 R- At $325.00, this is one of the best deals going today. It has the classic Fender Blackface look along with the Fender sound and is rated at a very " LOUD ! " 100 watts and takes to effects like a fish to water.



Could do far better than the Frontman amp for that budget.
__________________
Laney AOR 100
Marshall JCM 800 2203
Roadkill Stag 2X12 (with V30's)
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V
Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #24
AeonOptic
Registered User
 
AeonOptic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Don't newer PRS guitars have coil splitting stock? If so, they could be worthwhile. I'm not entirely sure of the pricing though.
AeonOptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:59 AM   #25
narinderkapur
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeonOptic
Don't newer PRS guitars have coil splitting stock? If so, they could be worthwhile. I'm not entirely sure of the pricing though.



The pricing is pretty steep, at least here in India, but I've tried one of them out, and they sound really, really good.
narinderkapur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:16 AM   #26
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Double Post
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-06-2013 at 04:35 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 AM   #27
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackstripes82
is a HSH also a possible combination, or only the ones you just typed?
and i really like the songs tequila and green onion

Many guitar makers make HSH guitars, but only a few companies make a wide artery of models with that configuration. Ibanez makes several, Godin makes the Freeway, and Fender probably makes one, but I can't think of which one it would be.

Malden made one, but that may be the last one. Swing just recently introduced their newest one, but have others.

Side note: some guitars are deceptively versatile. Malden's Bad Karma is one on my G.A.S. list, in part because the guitar's humbuckers are independently splittable. That means it can behave like a HH, SS, SH or HS.

Always check the specs of the guitars you look at- some may surprise you.
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Last edited by dannyalcatraz : 01-04-2013 at 03:34 AM.
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:56 AM   #28
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffo46
If you have $800.00 and want to update your gear in order to get the sounds that you want , I suggest that you get the following items ;

1. Squier Classic Vibe 60's Strat - It's a major upgrade from what you were using and is much better than Fender's MIM Standard Strat, and lower in price at only $379.99.

2. Digitech RP-70 Effects Processor- This will give you the effects that you can't get on the Roland Cube along with the different amp models as well.

3. Fender Frontman 212 R- At $325.00, this is one of the best deals going today. It has the classic Fender Blackface look along with the Fender sound and is rated at a very " LOUD ! " 100 watts and takes to effects like a fish to water.

No.

1. How so? I haven't played either but I have never heard of people saying that CV is much better than MIM. They have said it's almost as good or as good as MIM, maybe even a bit better, but you get it cheaper so it's a better deal.

But yeah, a Strat would be a good guitar. Though I don't know about Santana, he uses humbuckers so maybe look at HSS ("Fat") Strat.

2. I wouldn't suggest any effects at first. Look at what effects the bands you listen to use and then decide what effects you need. Effects can also be bought later. I would first only buy the amp and the guitar and see if you even need any effects. For surf music you need reverb but that can be found on almost all amps.

3. You don't need 100 watts (TS didn't say he's gigging and even if he was, 30 watt tube amp is enough for gigging). Frontman looks good, yes, but does it sound good? I don't know, I haven't played it but it's one of the most hated amps in UG. Clean is said to be pretty decent but the drive sound is crap. But for $300 there are much better amps and you could almost buy a tube amp. Look at used amps and you could find a good tube amp for pretty cheap.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 01-04-2013 at 09:57 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #29
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Here's a list of guitars that have decent quality and pickup combinations that could cover a variety of classic/indie rock & roll sounds, all between $400-900 new (depending on particular features):

RICHMOND GUITARS CANADA:
Belmont
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmontbigsby.html
Empire
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/empire.html


GODIN:
Session
http://godinguitars.com/godinsessionp.htm
Progression Boutique
http://godinguitars.com/godinprogressionusbp.htm


MALDEN:
Utopia
http://www.maldenguitars.com/utopia.htm
Liquid
http://www.maldenguitars.com/liquid.htm
Mozak
http://www.maldenguitars.com/mozak.htm


SPARROW GUITARS:
Twangmaster (customizable)
http://www.sparrowguitars.com/twangmaster


FERNANDES (sustainer models):
Retrorocket Pro
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/ret...rocket-pro.html
Retrorocket Elite
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/ret...cket-elite.html


HELL GUITARS (Bareknuckle pickups):
ZeroDot
http://www.hellguitars.com/zerodot.html
No. 2
http://www.hellguitars.com/no2.html


REVEREND:
Double Agent
http://reverendguitars.com/reverend..._agent_III.html
Sensei 290
http://reverendguitars.com/reverend...sensei_290.html
Jetstream 390
http://reverendguitars.com/reverend...stream_390.html
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:17 AM   #30
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
 
MaggaraMarine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Finland
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyalcatraz
Here's a list of guitars that have decent quality and pickup combinations that could cover a variety of classic/indie rock & roll sounds, all between $400-900 new (depending on particular features):

RICHMOND GUITARS CANADA:
Belmont
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmont.html
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/belmontbigsby.html
Empire
http://www.richmondguitarscanada.com/empire.html


GODIN:
Session
http://godinguitars.com/godinsessionp.htm
Progression Boutique
http://godinguitars.com/godinprogressionusbp.htm


MALDEN:
Utopia
http://www.maldenguitars.com/utopia.htm
Liquid
http://www.maldenguitars.com/liquid.htm
Mozak
http://www.maldenguitars.com/mozak.htm


SPARROW GUITARS:
Twangmaster (customizable)
http://www.sparrowguitars.com/twangmaster


FERNANDES (sustainer models):
Retrorocket Pro
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/ret...rocket-pro.html
Retrorocket Elite
http://www.fernandesguitars.com/ret...cket-elite.html


HELL GUITARS (Bareknuckle pickups):
ZeroDot
http://www.hellguitars.com/zerodot.html
No. 2
http://www.hellguitars.com/no2.html


REVEREND:
Double Agent
http://reverendguitars.com/reverend..._agent_III.html
Sensei 290
http://reverendguitars.com/reverend...sensei_290.html
Jetstream 390
http://reverendguitars.com/reverend...stream_390.html

Dude... You just made my GAS worse.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 06:43 AM   #31
dannyalcatraz
Registered User
 
dannyalcatraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Good thing I restrained myself, then, huh?
__________________
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:00 PM   #32
ecvMatt
clamper
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Inverness, Ca
There's no single guitar/amp combo that will get all three sounds exactly. I think it's more important to find the guitar that is most comfortable for you to play. Admittedly, I have no idea what you have in terms of stock at your local stores but go and play them. Play lots of them. Ones you think might be ugly or not appropriate, try them, guitars that are over your price limit, try them. Play as many as you can and find out what is comfortable and what you like as far as body style, neck type, control locations, bridge style etc. Then narrow it down from there. I work hard for my money and would not spend $800 without first making sure it is what I want or can at least be resold with minimal loss.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
ecvMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.