Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Original Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 01-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Hard/Rock Experimental New track! C4C

hey guys, I wrote this song awhile back, but recently recorded it. Any thoughts and input is greatly appreciated, I'll be sure to check your tunes out, leave em in the thread!


https://soundcloud.com/gregjr22/conspiracy



Last edited by Gregjr22 : 01-07-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
DancesWithSheep
Muchacho Moderno
 
DancesWithSheep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Deep in the Heart of Texas
Really like the break at 0:28!

1:16 - like the feel there also...

2:00 - another fav spot....

I realize this is "rough" so I'll leave out any comments regarding mix and EQ except to say that your rough drafts are better than a lot of the finished stuff I've heard.

This song cries out for lyric and melody. Got any? Keep us posted!

If you haven't already:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580347

Keep on jammin'!

DWS
__________________
Listen to my drivel at:


Muchos gracias, muchachos modernos!
DancesWithSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:04 AM   #3
aaron aardvark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Greg,
Interesting guitar riffs, tone is slightly ear-piercing, but I'm sensitive to that. Drums are good. Initially, I had a hard time noticing any electric/synth bass. Guitar playing is good. Some of the guitar parts remind me of The Edge (U2): good. Good song, perhaps a few good vocals could make it better? Please review my music at this link:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1581578
aaron aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithSheep
Really like the break at 0:28!

1:16 - like the feel there also...

2:00 - another fav spot....

I realize this is "rough" so I'll leave out any comments regarding mix and EQ except to say that your rough drafts are better than a lot of the finished stuff I've heard.

This song cries out for lyric and melody. Got any? Keep us posted!

If you haven't already:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1580347

Keep on jammin'!

DWS



Thanks a lot for the input man! The mix hasn't been in the final stage of mastering, although I did spent some time eq'ing the instruments. I didnt want to get to deep into because I knew vocals would be going on it. The track has been sent out to a friend of mind because I felt his vocals would fit very well on the track. I'm really excited to hear what he comes up with! When its done, I'll repost the track on here to hear some input! I did listen to your track, and I thought it was awesome. I left some input on your page, but I'll also leave some here: I really liked the funky style and the guitar riffs, along with how you panned the voices in the track. Very interesting stuff! Thanks again.
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #5
Indy_Fire
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
what you have here sounds pretty cool, some of this style of music hasn't been high on my radar due to vocal styles.
This is great to listen to so many different layers of guitar to listen to, I could have a few listens to this and pick out a new melody.
Bet it takes a long time to write these song then ?
Indy_Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #6
~Flounder~
Trance/Metal Synth player
 
~Flounder~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
production noob here! Honestly the mix sounds great- I can hear all the instruments clearly, all though there were a few times when I thought the lead guitar had a tad too much fx going on.

This sounds to me like Story of the Year/Senses fail style post hardcore mixed with blink 182-esque pop stylings. I like this song more than most I would in the genre given that (I'm a metalhead myself). The intro/main riff is really friggin sweet, although I'm imagining it on more 'metal' instruments/amps/mix and it would be sooo much ballsier! Anyway, the verse is very nice, I'm really digging the bass action and the way the two guitars work off each other. The prechorus is a bit generic but well done, I would have liked the guitars to do harmonies of the melody (perhaps 3rds?) towards the chorus but there's the metalhead coming out again. The bridge is meh, I don't like the sliding guitar stuff, it sounds kinda goofy. This would be a good place to point out that the drum work is legit throughout the song. Not epic fills or crazy double bass, but solid stuff. The ending "chord" is nice, though I thought there could have been a bit more 'outro' stuff going on.

I realize that most of these things are personal preference, especially since I'm used to working in a metal framework. For what the song is I really like it and one can tell you have skills in writing music and producing it. Cheers!
__________________
Kurzweil K2500xs
~Flounder~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy_Fire
what you have here sounds pretty cool, some of this style of music hasn't been high on my radar due to vocal styles.
This is great to listen to so many different layers of guitar to listen to, I could have a few listens to this and pick out a new melody.
Bet it takes a long time to write these song then ?



Thanks a lot for your input man! Greatly appreciated. The vocals on this track are more than likely going to be unique and not typical to this style of music as he's a very unique vocalist. I'm actually really excited to hear what hes going to do, when its finished I will definitely post it up for some input. Thanks again for your input!
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Flounder~
production noob here! Honestly the mix sounds great- I can hear all the instruments clearly, all though there were a few times when I thought the lead guitar had a tad too much fx going on.

This sounds to me like Story of the Year/Senses fail style post hardcore mixed with blink 182-esque pop stylings. I like this song more than most I would in the genre given that (I'm a metalhead myself). The intro/main riff is really friggin sweet, although I'm imagining it on more 'metal' instruments/amps/mix and it would be sooo much ballsier! Anyway, the verse is very nice, I'm really digging the bass action and the way the two guitars work off each other. The prechorus is a bit generic but well done, I would have liked the guitars to do harmonies of the melody (perhaps 3rds?) towards the chorus but there's the metalhead coming out again. The bridge is meh, I don't like the sliding guitar stuff, it sounds kinda goofy. This would be a good place to point out that the drum work is legit throughout the song. Not epic fills or crazy double bass, but solid stuff. The ending "chord" is nice, though I thought there could have been a bit more 'outro' stuff going on.

I realize that most of these things are personal preference, especially since I'm used to working in a metal framework. For what the song is I really like it and one can tell you have skills in writing music and producing it. Cheers!



Hey man AWESOME review. I'm glad that you went in depth with it and kinda went through the whole song. I too love metal, but where I'm from (Chicago) there's a ton of Metal bands in the scene so I guess I was kinda striving for something a bit different. I felt that the guitars on the first verse kind of blended in too much and I contemplated changing the tone of the Rhythm track to just clean.. but then I just rolled with it. I really liked the bridge, but I'm a huge fan of delay guitar and ambient stuff so it was kinda right up my alley. I didn't program the drums a buddy of mine is a solid drummer and I wrote the song, and sent it to him and he did his thing. I thought about ending the song with an 'outro' but I tend to have a habit of making songs too long lol so my goal was to make it short and sweet. I have a bunch of other songs in the works and I'd love to here more input when they're finished! The vocals for this track should be done fairly soon and that will be re-posted as well. This was my second song I've ever recorded with all instruments on my own, and the first one is up on my soundcloud as well which will be re recorded, because after making this track, I'm no longer happy with the first one lol. Thanks again for your input dude!
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Goodtimes666
Doesn't even need a title
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: tampa florida
i really like that opening riff man, reminds me of underoath or something along those lines. the rhythm guitars seem to stand out a little too much though, they're a bit piercing tone wise. the music itself is pretty solid, i would love to hear some hardcore style vocals over it.
__________________
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
Goodtimes666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
KevinFreund
UG Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
The production is quite nice man. The guitar has a great tone and is well played. Drums are clear and powerful. The bass not over powering and the tone is also great. Great tune man! You going to get some vocals.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAHellraiser
Go into Guitar Center and tell them you are willing to spend $3000 on as many Spider and MG half stacks as they can give you.
KevinFreund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodtimes666
i really like that opening riff man, reminds me of underoath or something along those lines. the rhythm guitars seem to stand out a little too much though, they're a bit piercing tone wise. the music itself is pretty solid, i would love to hear some hardcore style vocals over it.



Thanks a lot man I appreciate it. The mix is a bit rough, not completely finished so the tones should be pretty eqd when all said and done. I have a few more songs in the works so ill be sure to throw up on here.. any input is great.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFreund
The production is quite nice man. The guitar has a great tone and is well played. Drums are clear and powerful. The bass not over powering and the tone is also great. Great tune man! You going to get some vocals.


Thanks man! I sent the track to a friend of mine to record vocals, he has a good voice for this style of music so im pretty excited to hear what he comes up with. So hopefully pretty soon. Thanks again!
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
Scott Jones
Registered User
 
Scott Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: St. Louis MO USA
Really inventive stuff! Nice blend of independently unique guitar sounds and parts. Well executed! Solid, but not overbearing drums. I look forward to hearing the finished product!

My stuff is in my sig'

Peace
Scott Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Jones
Really inventive stuff! Nice blend of independently unique guitar sounds and parts. Well executed! Solid, but not overbearing drums. I look forward to hearing the finished product!

My stuff is in my sig'

Peace


Scott,

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it! I took a listen to your stuff as well, and its incredible! Ill make sure to post the finished product when i get it! Thanks a lot!
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #14
*Money4Nothing*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Really nice riffs man, the guitars work really well together! some riffs there that remind me of everytime i die and newer norma jean which is cool! its got some good groove to it and some nice atmosphere!

the guitars could maybe do with beefing up a bit? if that makes sense? maybe more gain...im not sure!

nice work!
*Money4Nothing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #15
tomrgane
Registered User
 
tomrgane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Thanks for the review of my music.
Liked the intro but then loved the break into what I assume will be the verse at about 0.29.
Really like the guitar tones too, kind of like early Funeral For A Friend stuff.
Also I really enjoyed what I assume is the bridge, around 2.20? Would love to hear it with vocals
__________________
If you're reading this, then chances are you're procrastinating too
tomrgane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #16
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Money4Nothing*
Really nice riffs man, the guitars work really well together! some riffs there that remind me of everytime i die and newer norma jean which is cool! its got some good groove to it and some nice atmosphere!

the guitars could maybe do with beefing up a bit? if that makes sense? maybe more gain...im not sure!

nice work!



Thanks man, I appreciate the input. I may try and beef up the guitars depending how the vocals sit on the track. Otherwise, ill save the beefiness for the next track. Thanks again!


[QUOTE=Thanks for the review of my music.
Liked the intro but then loved the break into what I assume will be the verse at about 0.29.
Really like the guitar tones too, kind of like early Funeral For A Friend stuff.
Also I really enjoyed what I assume is the bridge, around 2.20? Would love to hear it with vocals[/QUOTE]

Thanks man! Its awesome to hear people like the track! I appreciate your input.. Vocals on their way!
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:28 AM   #17
Waff
UG's Waffle
 
Waff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
As everyone said, the song is begging for vocals. I also really like the tone on your kick, it's clicky! You're using some interesting tonalities as well. Good job man.
Waff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #18
vivalaheerey
Registered User
 
vivalaheerey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tchhhhhhhhhhh
Like the structure man and the riffs, got a sort of Underoath/EARLY Deaf Havana feel to it. production is good, the leads are clear yet aren't busting your ear drum. All instruments are clear and well organised, well done.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1582621
__________________
Gibson Les Paul Classic 1960
Engl Powerball 120 Watt
Orange PPC212 Cabi
ISP Decimator
MXR 10-band EQ
Boss OS-2
vivalaheerey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:42 PM   #19
Gregjr22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Thanks guys! Im super anxious to hear the vocals as well! the suspense is killin me. lol
Gregjr22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:14 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.