Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: Valve Junior: Mod it or pedal?
Mod It 4 30.77%
Pedal (specify what kind and why) 9 69.23%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
super666fender
UG Fanatic

more distortion from valve jr

due to space restrictions i had to sell my 2 chan mesa dual recto half stack
I picked up an epi valve junior. Its ok but the speaker is farty when using neck pickup. Anyway, looking for some distortion out of this thing at low volumes. Im aware you could mod them, (how much for materials? im pretty advanced when it comes to any kind of modification work), or just thinking of sticking a pedal infront of it.

so:
mod it
or
pedal and what kind?

edit: holy shet its been almost 10 years since i joined this board!

Last edited by super666fender : 01-25-2013 at 01:25 PM.
super666fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Roc8995

You're not going to get a ton more gain with any reasonable mod for that amp. Some of the mods sound quite good but it's still only got one preamp tube, so there's only so much you can do.

Mods are pretty cheap, though, so there's no real reason you couldn't do both. You can do a great preamp mod on the VJ for like $15 in parts.

But I'd definitely get a pedal. You really need a pedal with it if you want any sort of high gain.

And get a new speaker or use a decent cab with it. The stock one sucks.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #3
Deadpool_25

Budget for pedal? If you miss the Mesa you could look at Triple Wreck I guess...
- Epiphone Bonamassa LP
- Epiphone Dot

Amp
- Tweed Blues Jr. NOS
- Vypyr 60

Deadpool_25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #4
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

Any pedals you like. Why stop at one?.

Get an ext cab. There is only so much you're going to get from that little cab and 8"speaker. Modding a Vjr is a waste of time unless you are doing it for the joy of modding, or want a tiny package with that specific modded tone. You can accomplish the same thing with pedals and have more options.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
gpderek09
GainZilla

I run a vox tone-lab processor (the old desktop version) into a fender blues jr. (small tube amp, similar-ish to the VJ), and I think it works great. Solid tones, and a multitude of them at that. Even for teh br00talz.

I don't know too much about amp modding, and those tone lab boxes can be had for under $200 used (they don't make them anymore). IMO it's a great deal. If you get a chance to play one of the larger valvetronix amps it's the same processor those come out of the box with.

Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
gpderek09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
tubetime86
I don't even play guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
You're not going to get a ton more gain with any reasonable mod for that amp. Some of the mods sound quite good but it's still only got one preamp tube, so there's only so much you can do.

Mods are pretty cheap, though, so there's no real reason you couldn't do both. You can do a great preamp mod on the VJ for like $15 in parts.

But I'd definitely get a pedal. You really need a pedal with it if you want any sort of high gain.

Something tells me this guy knows what he's talking about.
Originally Posted by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
tubetime86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
super666fender
UG Fanatic

well i like te modding idea because its cheap, and im broke. I like fiddling with things too. but could probably score any decent pedal for like 30-40 used, and that would be very easy.
200$ and or another amp are jus tway out of the question lol.

i know an 8 inch speaker aint gunna do much, but any recommendations for a better one? external cab not an option at the time due to space, and i really dont miss lugging my half stack around haha, the portability of this little guy is nice.
Old 01-25-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995

+1

the VJ actually takes pedals really well. it's really dark stock which really rounds off the harsh edges which a lot of distortion pedals have. even mediocre pedals sound pretty good into the VJ, lol. Joyo, mooer, something like that would probably be worth a look.

You don't have a ton of options for 8" speakers. celestion does one, weber does a bunch if you're in the US, jensen does some- i'm guessing the jensen mod series are the way to go since you probably don't want a vintage american tone and also the mods (teh speakers i mean, jensen does a series call the "mod" series) are pretty cheap.

i haven't tried any retrofit 8" speakers so i can't recommend any

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:14 PM   #9
woad_yurt

I have one of the Valve Jr. heads and it was really muddy when cranked. I put in a 12AT7 instead of the 12AX7 and it was a bunch more useable. I even messed with pedals some and it was 10X better with them with the mellower tube. It also benefited tons from an EQ pedal.

Note: I was playing through some good 12" cabs (1x12s & a 2x12s) and it wasn't too shabby at all, very nice, really. The EQ pedal was a big part.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ yeah even a cheap eq helps a fair bit. the joyo one is not too bad and very cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathbard
Blackstar can blow me; dodgey ****ers.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #11
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

I would say of you're serious about keeping a VJr then trade it in and get a VJr Head and a 110 or 112 Cab, put a 12AT7 in, look at a few good mods, and do those.

That would make it tonnes more useable. The speaker is going to limit you a lot and that's probably gonna be your main issue.

If you want to keep something compact but more useable, something like a blues junior might suit you, it's not a Mesa still, but if you got the Humboldt Hot Rod which is the same Blues Jr with upgraded speaker and JJ tubes, it's gonna sound great and is still I good size.
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
fly135
Cheap Gear Enthusiast

The combo has all the speaker output jacks of the head (except for V1, which only has 8 ohm out) so no point trading to a head except for the way it looks or size consideration.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #13
GABarrie
Call me Gordon

He said he had space restrictions
Archer "Dry Ice" Overdrive
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
GABarrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #14
TVeye
Not Worth It......

I hated my Valve Jr when I first got it. I did the easy mod (snip a cap or something I don't remember) and it helped a little. Turns out that speaker is shit. Tried a Mod 8 but finally settled on a CR-8 and it's OK. It really comes alive with a 12" though.
I also have a Digitech Hot Head and a Boss EQ, it's quite usable now.
TVeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:55 PM   #15
super666fender
UG Fanatic

sounds like an EQ is the way to go. I did play it through my friends fender 4x12 and it sounded good. Definitly a dark tone though, with my epi sg is had to do 80% bridge and 50% neck to get the rhythym tone i wanted

Rate This Thread: