Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-03-2013, 01:36 AM   #21
dannyalcatraz

Quote:
In terms of ampage, for blues and rock on a budget I cannot recommend the Peavey Classic 50 enough. They can be had for $350-$400 and sound really good, great cleans, and good overdrive channel. I have extensive experience with mine and can say it would work for what you play quite well. also in the same boat are the Egnater Tweaker 40 head and a cab, Fender Super Sonic, Fender Hot Rod Deluxe III and Vox AC15 (which is pushing it if you need loud cleans). Out of all those I would take the Classic 50 unless I didn't need cleans, then it'd be the vox.

(Emphasis mine)

I own a Fender HRD. The 40w brings plenty of available volumes and brilliant cleans. I'm in the market for another amp ONLY because it doesn't do metal.

My teacher is a much sought after gigging studio musician for a wide variety of styles here in Texas, and his HRD is is main gigging amp.

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
ihartfood
Potato Faced Blind Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tybacca60
Hmm that's odd what's your reasoning for not liking the rp's?My sounds fantastic.I played a x3 live pod and the rp wins in almost every category.I know there's personal preference,but just wanted to see your logic.

A former bandmate of mine owned one of the bigger RP series and and you're right, it comes down to personal preference. I liked the Line6's sound better, especially distortion
I suggest the XT Live because one saved my ass and got me through a gig.

to the TS:
Just be aware that the older Fender HRD have awful, awful drive channels. I owned it's older brother, the Hot Rod DeVille and it was the same way - terrible. The HRD III is the one I recommend, make sure it's that model unless your cleans are more important.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
tybacca60

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood
A former bandmate of mine owned one of the bigger RP series and and you're right, it comes down to personal preference. I liked the Line6's sound better, especially distortion
I suggest the XT Live because one saved my ass and got me through a gig.

to the TS:
Just be aware that the older Fender HRD have awful, awful drive channels. I owned it's older brother, the Hot Rod DeVille and it was the same way - terrible. The HRD III is the one I recommend, make sure it's that model unless your cleans are more important.

Haha yea I see ya there-But my rp kicks ass at metal sounds.Lol
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
tybacca60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #24
JustRooster
Organ Donor

The Fender's going to really limit you in the styles that you're already comfortable with. My suggestion would either be to simply swap the pickups for something more traditional, such as a JB/59 combo from Seymour Duncan, or a pair of Probuckers/Burstbuckers from Gibson.

That'll help you achieve more of the sound you've got in your head without making a regrettable decision of trading away a guitar you already like.

That, or buying a new low-gain amp will give you even more range!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihartfood

to the TS:

It's awful if it's stock. I have had one for 6 years now. I swapped the tubes for some JJ's and put in a new speaker, and it's pretty screamin'. I would highly suggest having and solid OD pedal in the mix, though.

Also, it depends on the sound you want. The HRDs are definitely vintage voiced, so if smooth gain is your thing, I would stay away. I pretty much don't use the drive channel these days, though. I use an OD to push the tubes and drive them on the clean channel. Gets you some really great tones if you have the space available for the volume.

If you want a bedroom amp in the Fender series to get you some great blues tones, check out the Fender Super Champ. Keep in mind that even 15W of tube power is going to be loud, but it'll break up nicer. Especially if you can find yourself a good attenuator.

BUCKY

Last edited by JustRooster : 02-03-2013 at 01:03 PM.
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: