Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Acoustic & Classical Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #1
NoTroll

rosewood saddle

hiyer guys. iv been thinking of trying to make my martin drs2 a bit darker and mellower sounding. i was reading about rosewood saddles and whatnot, the guitar came fitted with a tusq saddle which sounds lovely and all but having never experimented with the saddle of this or indeed any guitar iv owned i may be missing out on something even better.
my real question is where do i find such a saddle as having looked online and on amazon i have only found entire bridge replacements which is not what i want.

is there one universal size for saddles or do i need to check that? i also might change the bridge pins for rosewood ones aswell.
on a side note i have after many years playing noticed that as i play certain chords my pinky on my left hand is like stretching away from the neck and snaking about in a ******ed fashion and its this part of my hand that seems to cause me grief. is that normal or do i need to train that finger to stay close to the others??

hope you can handle the noobishness of these questions.

Last edited by NoTroll : 10-29-2013 at 07:41 AM.
NoTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Wetstra
One Angry German

Maybe you could try contacting a local luthier, and seeing if they could custom make the parts for you. Of course, I assume, this would be more expensive, but if you really can't find them anywhere it might be your best bet.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Bikewer

Using wood for saddle material might be problematic... A Google search only showed items for Rosewood bridges intended to hold a normal saddle.
It seems to me that I have seen ebony so used.... You might try STewMac.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
xander_c212

You are mistaking the bridge material for the saddle one. Bridges are usually made of wood (rosewod, ebony etc.) while saddles are made of bone, plastic and bone imitating plastic (like the tusq).
Anyway ask someone with experience before doing any modifications to your guitar.
xander_c212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 06:13 PM   #5
NoTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_c212
You are mistaking the bridge material for the saddle one. Bridges are usually made of wood (rosewod, ebony etc.) while saddles are made of bone, plastic and bone imitating plastic (like the tusq).
Anyway ask someone with experience before doing any modifications to your guitar.

i have managed to find one now.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=r...tml%3B250%3B342

they seem to be pretty rare though. i think i will go with the contacting a luthier idea.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #6
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTroll
i have managed to find one now.
No, you didn't.

Apparently there's a language barrier between Old Blighty, and the uppity colonies.

What they're calling a "saddle" we know as a "bridge". Really.

In American English, the "saddle, is the (usually) white part that pushes into the slot in the "bridge", which is the wooden part that is glued to the top of the guitar.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 10-29-2013 at 06:45 PM.
Captaincranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
stepchildusmc

give Bob Colosi an e-mail shout. he is the saddle and bridgepin guru of the known universe.
http://search.yahoo.com/r/_ylt=A0oG...om/products.asp
Old 10-29-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
NoTroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captaincranky
No, you didn't.

Apparently there's a language barrier between Old Blighty, and the uppity colonies.

What they're calling a "saddle" we know as a "bridge". Really.

In American English, the "saddle, is the (usually) white part that pushes into the slot in the "bridge", which is the wooden part that is glued to the top of the guitar.

lol really? whod have thought it.

so in ye olde english what is the white part that slots onto the bridge??

Last edited by NoTroll : 10-29-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:46 PM   #9
Captaincranky

Verily, I hath not the slightest inkling.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
stepchildusmc

i didn't sign up for an English Compostion class..... Alex, I'll take woodchuck love for $300
i'd try some medium PB strings first.

Last edited by stepchildusmc : 10-29-2013 at 08:56 PM.
stepchildusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 01:29 PM   #11
bigginge

Well I've been playing guitar in Old Blighty for nearly 50 years and I've always understood the bridge to be the, usually, wooden piece which holds the, usually, bone strip over which the strings pass, the equivalent of the nut at the head end.
bigginge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Captaincranky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigginge
Well I've been playing guitar in Old Blighty for nearly 50 years and I've always understood the bridge to be the, usually, wooden piece which holds the, usually, bone strip over which the strings pass, the equivalent of the nut at the head end.
You would have to follow the link to Amazon.uk, to understand what I'm talking about. The Amazon page is confused, (as well as TS,I believe), and shows images of bridges, but labels them as "saddles". (At least it did when I clicked on it)

So, that kind of reinforced TS's misconception about the part he is seeking.

It's also good to know I can communicate with someone in the UK, in a common vernacular... (Lay off the Cockney slang though.....,pretty please)? You'd just draw a blank. I bought an early "Genesis" album, but gave up on them when I didn't understand one damned thing they were talking about or referencing....

I got "The Who" though, big time.

Last edited by Captaincranky : 11-01-2013 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
stormin1155

I would agree with Stepchild... before changing saddles, try different strings. If you are currently using 80/20 bronze, try phosphor/bronze. They tend to be not as bright. Perhaps try some coated strings or silk/steel.

I've made ebony nuts for some old guitars I've restored, but never a saddle. If you are intent on trying a rosewood saddle that should be pretty easy to make and install. I'm not sure where you're located, but I could probably whip one up for you.

By the way, the bridge on your DRS2 is made of richlite... a synthetic material that is supposed to look and sound like ebony. A rosewood bridge may indeed change the tone slightly but it takes a lot more to change a bridge than a saddle.

Last edited by stormin1155 : 11-07-2013 at 02:39 PM.
stormin1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Captaincranky

Listen guys, if the fingerboard is rosewood, then the bridge is almost certainly as well.

Generally, the two items are made from the same species of wood. If you have an ebony fingerboard, then the bridge is likely ebony as well.

Most of these grand quests are hysterically or delusionally, or obsessive compulsively driven anyway.

You'll have a much wider range of tonality by virtue of the sound changing though the life of a string set, or a few cycles of humidity, than you would ever experience by changing the bridge.

Let it go! Changing the bridge is major surgery. It's the kind of thing you should take very good care of your guitar to avoid, not rush into.

Rate This Thread: